sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2022 10:13 am  #1

Mike Filey.

Sad to say that Mike Filey has passed away.  He was a regular guest of mine on CFRB.  A great Toronto Historian and a very, funny man.

Last edited by John D (August 1, 2022 10:17 am)

August 1, 2022 10:20 am  #2

Re: Mike Filey.

Damn!

August 1, 2022 10:29 am  #3

Mike and spouse Yarmila had/have a gorgeous '55 Pontiac coach hardtop with requisite nostalgic touches including a "borrowed" A & W tray on the driver's window.    Each Sept they organized a visit with fellow Thornhill Cruisers car club members to Sunnybrook veterans hospital to put on a "car show" that the vets clearly enjoyed

Last edited by Ms. C. (August 1, 2022 8:31 pm)

August 1, 2022 10:34 am  #4

Hey John, I'm sorry to hear that Mike Filey is now a part of the history he covered so well. I used to really enjoy his segments on your show along with his Toronto Sun columns. A lot of knowledge of this city has been taken away with him. A truly interesting man and I'm not sure if there's anyone with his breadth of knowledge that can take his place. Very sad news, indeed. 

August 1, 2022 10:53 am  #5

Very sad news indeed. His "The Way We Were" column in the Sunday Sun was the second feature I always turned to. Page Three, now the last page, was always first.

August 1, 2022 4:47 pm  #6

Met Mike when he was a regular at CHFI. Sorry to hear this. Nice guy.

August 1, 2022 8:19 pm  #7

Sadly,  no mention of his passing;  on the Toronto Sun webpage.

Last edited by Media Observer (August 1, 2022 8:20 pm)

August 2, 2022 10:23 am  #8

Though saddened to hear of Mike Filey's passing, the news of it caused me to do a google search on him and I discovered the Mike Filey's Toronto Podcast, apparently only available on TuneIn and was originally on Zoomer Radio 740.   It goes from late Sept 2012 to July 2013. I've read almost all of his articles and look forward to giving it a listen.   RIP Mike Filey.  

Last edited by SpinningWheel (August 2, 2022 10:26 am)

August 2, 2022 1:04 pm  #9

Mike Filey was so knowledgeable about Toronto’s history, and his passion came through both in his written work and his frequent interviews (thank you JohnD).  He made history interesting and fun as well. Mike wrote so many books - some were compilations of his columns but others were dedicated to very specific aspects of this great city’s past. Published in 1981, “I Remember Sunnyside” gives a vivid portrayal through numerous photos and text of how and where people spent their leisure time, how they “socially networked” before that term was ever used. Mike details how people looked outside their homes for entertainment, and connected with others during a time when Centre Island, including Hanlan’s Point, had amusement parks, and Sunnyside Amusement Park was indeed, as he includes in the title, “.... a Magical Era.” The two reminders of this magnificent park are the Sunnyside bathing pavilion, and the Palais Royale (recently refurbished) which was the site where most major big bands of the times played. Oh, and the Rolling Stones did a gig here in the early 90's before embarking on one of their world tours. Mike also covered the Palace Pier in great detail with photos and diagrams. It’s now the name of a large condo on the site. It was a huge dance venue, which was to be the first phase of a half-mile long Atlantic City-style pier extending into Lake Ontario. The depression nixed most of the project but the Palace Pier was a fixture here. CBC radio frequently did live Saturday late night broadcasts after the dances, often with Trump Davidson’s band. People could stay and listen, but not dance. The province of Ontario did not allow dancing on Sunday at that time!

August 2, 2022 5:02 pm  #10

Media Observer wrote:

Sadly,  no mention of his passing;  on the Toronto Sun webpage.

Joe Warmington looks back on Mike and Toronto.

12ft | WARMINGTON: Former Sun writer Mike Filey lauded as 'guardian of Toronto’s history' | Toronto Sun

August 3, 2022 1:41 pm  #11

So sorry to hear about Mike Filey. I worked with him when he was a contributor on Don and Erin’s show at CHFI and he wrote a nice article on my grandfather who brought back ashes of an unknown soldier from WWII.
R. I.P Mike. He was a very nice and knowledgeable man and historian.

August 6, 2022 12:27 pm  #12

A touching, heartfelt tribute to M. Filey was given by Alan Gelman on his weekly "Dave's Corner Garage" program on AM 740 this morning