sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2022 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Rosalie

Hopefully, you can post some photos of the finished product when it is unveiled.

August 5, 2022 7:30 pm  #3

Interestingly, this Windsor Star article seems to indicate this is not a done deal unless city council there approves $100,000 for the project. My bet is they will, since thing is all but ready. 

Bronze statue of local Big 8 radio legend up for council consideration

August 9, 2022 7:04 am  #4

I would have been shocked if this had ended any other way. The sculpture will be officially unveiled in Sept. 2023. 

City of Windsor to fund statue of late radio hitmaker Rosalie Trombley

August 9, 2022 11:49 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I would have been shocked if this had ended any other way. The sculpture will be officially unveiled in Sept. 2023. 

City of Windsor to fund statue of late radio hitmaker Rosalie Trombley

Excellent news.

December 8, 2022 10:20 am  #6

In addition to the sculpture to honour Trombley, Windsor City Council is also considering opening a special museum exhibit dedicated to her. Now that is something I would go to see the next time I was down in that area. I hope they proceed with it.

City eyes museum exhibit, celebration for radio legend Rosalie Trombley

December 8, 2022 12:06 pm  #7

At some point, a movie will be made about her career.  Can anyone think of another music director anywhere that was so well known, respected and influenced radio as much as Rosalie? 

Remember in conjunction with the unveiling of the statue in Windsor will be the CKLW Reunion and Fanfest in Windsor on September 17, 2023.  Everyone is welcome and it's free. 

Here again is the post from November in the Michigan Radio and TV Buzzboard..

=12pxThe official unveiling of the Rosalie Trombley=12px statue in Windsor is on Monday Sept. 18, 2023=12px.
=12pxI am happy to announce we are planning a H*** CKLW Big 8 Radio Reunion and Fan Fest in Windsor on SUNDAY Sept. 17, 2023=12px at the St. Clair Centre for The Arts - Skyline Room A - 10am-3pm.
=12pxFREE ADMISSION and OPEN TO ALL CKLW RADIO ALUMNI AND CK RADIO FANS.
=12pxHotels are just steps away from the venue right on the scenic riverfront. Plenty of time to get in early Saturday for dinner gatherings and stay if possible for Monday's ceremony.
=12pxCome out and mingle, chat and get photos.
=12pxMore to come!

December 13, 2022 8:41 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

In addition to the sculpture to honour Trombley, Windsor City Council is also considering opening a special museum exhibit dedicated to her. Now that is something I would go to see the next time I was down in that area. I hope they proceed with it.

City eyes museum exhibit, celebration for radio legend Rosalie Trombley

Windsor Council has now come through with the cash, paving the way for a museum exhibit honouring the CKLW music maven. It's still a while away, while everything gets set up. But there appears to be a catch - the exhibit, whenever it comes, may only be temporary and around for a few months. So once it opens, the clock starts ticking, unless more funding can be found to keep it going beyond its expiry date. 

Windsor City Council Approves Funding for Rosalie Trombley Museum Exhibit 

December 13, 2022 8:42 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

At some point, a movie will be made about her career.  Can anyone think of another music director anywhere that was so well known, respected and influenced radio as much as Rosalie? 

This sounds like something the CBC could possibly do, focusing on famous Canadians.

And think of the soundtrack!

December 13, 2022 9:00 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

This sounds like something the CBC could possibly do, focusing on famous Canadians.

And think of the soundtrack!

True but I could also see Bell producing a movie and running it on Crave and selling it to other streamers.  They own CKLW after all and have ties to the station since the early 70's.  Although in fairness so does CBC when they purchased CKLW AM/FM/TV around 1970 with Baton Broadcasting. I always thought it was funny when CKLW AM was in it's glory and best ratings days in the early to mid 70's that they were owned by CBC.  20/20 news could not have been further away from what CBC news was putting out. 

December 14, 2022 12:18 pm  #11

My understanding was that the Baton/CBC partnership from 1970-75 was only for CKLW-TV, while Baton acquired CKLW-AM/FM outright from RKO. I don't believe the CBC ever had an interest in CKLW radio, since it already had CBE operating on 1550. 

December 14, 2022 3:26 pm  #12

fybush wrote:

My understanding was that the Baton/CBC partnership from 1970-75 was only for CKLW-TV, while Baton acquired CKLW-AM/FM outright from RKO. I don't believe the CBC ever had an interest in CKLW radio, since it already had CBE operating on 1550. 

Actually you are right fybush.  I had read in an article that gave the impression that CBC co-owned CKLW AM and FM along with Baton.  Checking on the History of Canadian Broadcasting site it is showing that their involvement with Baton was only with CKLW TV and not the radio.  Thanks for spotting my error. 

December 15, 2022 12:35 am  #13

fybush wrote:

Channel 9 got Baton into the building, all the easier to gain the best info on what was going on down the hall,
where their eyes were on the prize — the Big 8.

December 15, 2022 5:59 pm  #14

mike marshall wrote:

fybush wrote:

Channel 9 got Baton into the building, all the easier to gain the best info on what was going on down the hall,

That still doesn't mesh with what I understand to have been the timeline - Baton acquired the Big 8 and CKLW-FM outright in 1970, at the same time it partnered with CBC for Channel 9. They didn't need info on what was going on down the hall. They had already won the prize at that point. 

December 15, 2022 9:37 pm  #15

fybush wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

fybush wrote:

That still doesn't mesh with what I understand to have been the timeline - Baton acquired the Big 8 and CKLW-FM outright in 1970, at the same time it partnered with CBC for Channel 9. They didn't need info on what was going on down the hall. They had already won the prize at that point. 

A lot of time has gone by since 1969, when the History of Canadian Broadcasting — broadcasting-history.ca
shows:

>> Baton Broadcasting of Toronto announced that it would purchase CKLW Television. After a period of time though, the company decided to consider the possibility of acquiring CKLW-AM-FM from RKO as well. <<

I was there at the time and that’s the way I remember the situation.

December 15, 2022 11:21 pm  #16

And you're right - though the time frame was relatively short, just a few months later in 1970.

https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Magazines/Archive-BC-IDX/70-OCR/1970-08-24-BC-OCR-Page-0033.pdf

December 16, 2022 12:44 am  #17

Interesting to read about this era of history!

Here's a December 18, 1970 Canadian Press article as appearing in the Owen Sound Times: