sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2022 10:18 am  #1

When The BBC Reluctantly Went Rock

The BBC has been paying tribute to itself, tracing its history over the past 100 years. It's fascinating to consider that in the years when The Beatles were becoming the greatest rock act in history - starting around 1962 or 63 in Britain - the Beeb would rarely play them or any of their contemporaries, except for the odd concession to a few weekly pop shows. 

Instead, kids listened to the pirates like Radio Caroline off the coast or Radio Luxembourg to hear the hits. It's incredible to think that didn't change until Sept. 30, 1967, halfway into the British invasion in North America. The linked article traces how the staid old Corporation was forever altered on that day, despite critics sniping at the newcomer. 

It also explains an old memory I have that I didn't really get until years later. I was very young and I have no idea exactly who this person was, but a relative had a friend in England who came over to Canada for a visit sometime in the middle 60s. She was an older teenager - around 19 or so - and I remember even then asking her about what radio was like in Britain. Her answer has always stayed with me. 

"Your radio is SOOO much better than ours," she explained in a very reserved tone. "Ours is terrible in comparison." As for our TV? "Ours is a lot better," she answered, and I realize now that she was referring to the BBC, which even then was churning out classic shows. But for a teen looking for pop music? She had to come for a visit to Canada to hear what it could be like over 'ome. 

I always wondered what she thought on that 1967 day when the BBC finally let one of its monopoly stations go rock. From the sounds of the story below, it appears no one expected it to be a huge success, because the Beeb was always seen as stuffy and old fashioned, with programming only Monty Python's "Mrs. Ratbag" would love. 

As the story explains, that changed forever on that day in 1967, but it makes me even more grateful for the radio we grew up with here. 

The BBC changes its tune to play the sounds of the sixties

August 4, 2022 10:27 am  #2

Re: When The BBC Reluctantly Went Rock

RadioActive wrote:

\

As the story explains, that changed forever on that day in 1967, but it makes me even more grateful for the radio we grew up with here. 

As someone who grew up and worked in both sides of the pond, until the birth of commercial radio in the UK, Canada was superior . Sadly that is not true anymore, they have creative and stimulating radio while we have TV on the radio.
Kinda cool BBC Radio commercial .
https://youtu.be/XqLTe8h0-jo

Last edited by Stinand (August 4, 2022 10:28 am)

August 4, 2022 10:30 am  #3

And since they went to DAB over there, there are literally hundreds more stations there than we have - a kind of ironic change from the 60s, when it was the BBC, a few pirates and not much else. 

August 4, 2022 10:36 am  #4

Stinand wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

\

As someone who grew up and worked in both sides of the pond, until the birth of commercial radio in the UK, Canada was superior . Sadly that is not true anymore, they have creative and stimulating radio while we have TV on the radio.

Wow, that video was quite remarkable. And in case you wondered who was in it and in what order they appeared, here's the list

August 4, 2022 10:57 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Stinand wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

\

Wow, that video was quite remarkable. And in case you wondered who was in it and in what order they appeared, here's the list

I only recognized Elton, Stevie and Brian.

August 4, 2022 11:07 am  #6

Hard to believe that BBC had a monopoly until 1973, and even the pirate stations like Caroline didn't get on the air until into 1964.  Luxembourg was around much earlier but only available after sunset and still had a lot of block programming and not a lot of rock until well into the 60's.

I haven't heard enough of the commercial radio in the UK to form an opinion but when I was over there years ago it was pretty impressive.  Lots of personality and chit chat from the hosts and I thought a more varied choice of music than you hear on most stations in Canada or US. 

Although beauty is in the ear of the listener.  BOOM/TODAY radio's Paul Harper who worked in radio in the UK fell in love with the radio in Toronto while on vacation and decided he wanted to move the family here and attempt to work in Toronto.  He said in a Toronto Sun interview two years ago that Toronto had so many good radio stations to choose from with a big variety of music. 

I have always been a fan of BBC 1 and 2 and to this day both are the most popular radio networks in Europe. Back in the mid 70's and up until today, if BBC 1 and 2 had been available OTA in North America they would have created big big problems for pop/rock stations in Canada and the US.