sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2022 12:17 am  #1

Leafs TV RIP

There's a permanent banner on Leafs Nation tv telling viewers that the channel is going away.

Leafs tv will sign off permanently on September 1st.

Although I wouldn't ever dream of being a Leafs fan (I loathe them) I am a subscriber.

Anyone have any info on the reason for their self imposed demise?

August 3, 2022 9:42 am  #2

Re: Leafs TV RIP

I didn’t know that channel still even existed, to be honest. I remember there was a time 10-15 years ago that Leafs TV broadcast some live Leafs games exclusively, i.e. not available on Sportsnet, TSN or CBC. For me it meant going to a sports bar to watch those games as I never subscribed to Leafs TV.

August 3, 2022 11:11 am  #3

Another sign that subscription-based, online streaming services are the future of sports broadcasting...

August 3, 2022 4:55 pm  #4

With Rogers owning all of the national NHL rights and TSN owning some of regional rights I suspect  there was no reason for the channel to exist. That’s why the Canadian version of the NHL Network was shut down rather than being retooled by Rogers.
The US version of NHL Network still exists and was moved from Agincourt to the MLB Network studios in Secaucus, New Jersey. It carries live games including Hockey Night in Canada.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (August 3, 2022 4:57 pm)

August 3, 2022 6:23 pm  #5

Didn’t former Global anchor Mike Anscombe host a bunch of shows for Leafs TV?

August 3, 2022 7:11 pm  #6

MJ Vancouver wrote:

perhaps you are thinking of Paul Hendrick formerly of CHCH TV.... ? 

August 3, 2022 8:26 pm  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Absolutely .. I remember watching Anscombe interview Mike Walton.  Walton was my favourite Leaf when I was a young lad. i still remember that Walton got a penatly shot in two consecutive games .. he scored at home but missed on the road, @Chicago i think.

August 3, 2022 8:48 pm  #8

Johnny B wrote:

Another sign that subscription-based, online streaming services are the future of sports broadcasting...

Absolutely. Once it's figured out how to properly customize ads to each viewer during live sports broadcasts, the dam breaks.

August 4, 2022 12:49 am  #9

Honestly, I thought Leafs TV was gone a long time ago. I do not subscribe to it and I have not seen any promo for it in a good long time. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 4, 2022 7:56 am  #10

The only reason I knew Leafs TV still existed is because on the Rogers Legacy guide it is listed as ch 493, just before the five TSN's from 494-498.

August 5, 2022 10:04 am  #11

torontostan wrote:

I'd say cable still has another 5 years or so before channels and networks really start to close up shop and we go back to having less than 10 channels. 

I have both cable and IPTV. I have to agree, IPTV is always at least a minute behind. I don't think that will ever fix itself, but maybe...just maybe the proper Ignite TV (or Bell Fibe etc) will solve this problem for their benefit.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 5, 2022 4:14 pm  #12

I timed it once watching a hockey game on cable and my phone. The phone was exactly 13 seconds behind.

August 6, 2022 12:36 am  #13

There's also delay between analogue and digital cable. An engineer explained to me that it's the encoding on each end that causes it.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (August 6, 2022 12:38 am)

August 22, 2022 5:32 pm  #14

The Athletic takes on the end of - and traces the origins of - Leafs TV, and reveals why those behind the network had to practically blackmail Rogers & Bell to carry the newcomer. 

A farewell to Leafs TV: The career-launching, 'ahead of its time' network says goodbye
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://theathletic.com/3526322/2022/08/22/leafs-tv-mlse/

August 23, 2022 9:49 am  #15

When Leafs TV first arrived, I doubt it fell into the CRTC's "Must Carry" category. If it didn't fall into "Must Offer" status, Bell and Rogers would not have been obligated to find a spot for it in their channel lineup.

August 23, 2022 1:15 pm  #16

Tomas Barlow wrote:

There's also delay between analogue and digital cable. An engineer explained to me that it's the encoding on each end that causes it.

There’s also a delay between OTA and digital cable.  Not sure if OTA was suggested when you said analogue because OTA is digital now with the exception of some small-market OTAs whom are allowed to still operate on analogue.

August 23, 2022 1:17 pm  #17

That’s the second MLSE network to close.   Remember the Raptors channel?

August 24, 2022 2:03 am  #18

I remember it because it still exists.

It doesn't have live games anymore but it hasn't gone anywhere.  It was renamed NBA TV Canada a number of years ago.

https://www.ontvtonight.com/ca/guide/listings/channel/69021260/nba-tv-canada.html