sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2022 9:29 am  #1

vintage radios

I have started to collect vintage radios to fill up my book case shelves after cleaning out decades of old magazines etc. I picked up this ol fella from a 78 year old gentleman who told me this unit was bought by his parents originally and was the family entertainment when he was a kid. He grew up in St Thomas Ont. and recalls only getting 3 stations when he was really young. A local one , one from London, and one from Cleavland that his father would listen to baseball games on. 

August 1, 2022 12:16 pm  #2

Re: vintage radios

Nice radio made by Dominion Electrohome probably in Kitchener Ontario. They also had a wood working company called Deilcraft that made cabinets for their TV's and quite possibly this radio. When properly tuned and aligned these types of radios could be quite sensitive and sounded very nice.

Today's unfriendly environment in terms of electrical noise emanating from (among other things) poorly made switching power supplies for computers, LED's etc. generate a lot of interference that seems to propagate over the main electrical lines. I find plug in radios particularly troubled by this; the entire AM  band interspersed with hum and noise.  

August 1, 2022 12:32 pm  #3

Thanks for the reply. This one was working up to two years ago, the guy I got if from lives on the shore of Georgian Bay near Owen Sound. His house underwent a power surge in a thunderstorm and the radio was unfortunately plugged into a wall socket in his garage. When he attempted to turn it on later, he said there was a sizzling sound and smoke began to emit from the back. He never tried it again. It is just a display piece for me. I have an early 60's Channel Master AM/FM that my parents bought for me when I was about 10 years old, and on Wednesday, I am picking up both a 30,s unit and an art deco style one  from the late 50's. That will fill up my book case. So,  a cool little collection put together in less than a week and under 150$. I never had to drive more than 50 km for all of it. There is actually quite a selection of vintage radios for sale between Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace reasonably priced. 

August 1, 2022 1:44 pm  #4

Ring Audio, which is located on Carlaw Ave. north of Lakeshore Blvd. specializes in the repair of vintage radios. They are open Noon-5pm Tuesday-Saturday.

August 1, 2022 2:29 pm  #5

mic'em wrote:

I have started to collect vintage radios to fill up my book case shelves after cleaning out decades of old magazines etc. I picked up this ol fella from a 78 year old gentleman who told me this unit was bought by his parents originally and was the family entertainment when he was a kid. He grew up in St Thomas Ont. and recalls only getting 3 stations when he was really young. A local one , one from London, and one from Cleavland that his father would listen to baseball games on. 

For a radio like that to pick up only local stations, they must have been using no antenna at all.

Last edited by turkeytop (August 1, 2022 6:45 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 1, 2022 6:23 pm  #6

darcyh wrote:

Nice radio made by Dominion Electrohome probably in Kitchener Ontario. They also had a wood working company called Deilcraft that made cabinets for their TV's and quite possibly this radio.

I have four pieces of Deilcraft furniture in my front room, a coffee table, two end tables and a curio table, bought in 1985 or 1986 when I worked for CKKW and CFCA - both owned by Eelectrohome at the time. Employees got 10% off Deilcraft.

August 2, 2022 2:40 pm  #7

Regarding the antenna, it has two thin silver wires coming out of the back, maybe was hooked up to an external one of some type. Mace, thanks for the lead on a repair place, I'm just using as a display piece for the time being. I think the gentleman was referring to the fact there was not alot of stations on air when he was young, he would have been born in 1944 as he is 78 now. He couldn't recall if it picked up other signals. I have purchased a couple more to round out my collection, a 1946 Stromberg Carlson 1101-Hi “Dynatomic, and a 70's CKSO badged RADIO unit. CKSO was Sudbury based , my wife remembers it , and tried to win one of these units back when she was high school. For some reason I don't understand,the pics won't post. 

Last edited by mic'em (August 2, 2022 8:09 pm)