sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2022 11:27 am  #1

CBC and the Summit '72 Hockey Documentary Air Dates

https://twitter.com/hockeyesque/status/1552282782138830849?t=2eit7UQopEcet3M-Dk7WhQ&s=19

Considering the subject matter and the talented team who worked on this documentary series about a legendary hockey series, you know it's going to be brilliant.

It'll keep us hockey fans entertained while we wait for the new NHL season to start.

Do you think seeing those unforgettable games and legendary Canadian players again might even be enough to finally get Paul Henderson into the Hall of Fame as a builder? 🤞

Bring on September. 🏒

Last edited by betaylored (July 27, 2022 11:28 am)

July 27, 2022 11:58 am  #2

Re: CBC and the Summit '72 Hockey Documentary Air Dates

I rarely tune into CBC TV, but I will be watching this. 

If you weren't born when it happened or were too young, you can't possibly imagine how big a deal this was. They brought TVs into our school classrooms to watch the games, which were on early here compared to Russian time.

And they let out classes early the day of the final match, when Henderson scored that golden goal. 

Even if the Leafs one day win the Cup again, I'm pretty sure there will never be another contest like this one. I'm not even a hockey fan and I watched every single match!

The video still sends a chill up my spine. 

July 27, 2022 11:08 pm  #3

August 1, 2022 5:05 pm  #4

https://twitter.com/TeamCanada1972/status/1554188210443616258?t=IV0EExrEbrDYmacjKL35Ew&s=19

if you're on the oxymoron that is social media and a fan of the game of hockey, and possibly that phenomenal series, this is their official Twitter account, it'll help pass the time until the documentary series airs in September and the start of the new season in October... great consistent content and inspiration 🏒

#CantWaitForFall 🥵

August 17, 2022 4:18 pm  #5

https://twitter.com/Summit72Doc/status/1559983680168370178?t=66MKiYOxc3EZCY_Q-L5UOA&s=19

more details and some game footage of the hockey series that thrilled Canada

the CBC documentary series begins four weeks from tonight

August 30, 2022 9:45 pm  #6

https://youtu.be/22oqAcAEDt4

judging by the terrific game footage, and brief interview clips with players, plus the exceptional sharp editing on display in this promo, we're in for one heck of a documentary

thank the hockey gods summer is almost over!

August 31, 2022 7:37 am  #7

The only game that could come close to the 1972 series was the New Year's Eve 1975 Montreal Forum matchup between the Canadiens and Red Army. This is the Hab team that would win the first of four consecutive Stanley Cups. They outshot the Russians 38-13, but had to settle for a 3-3 tie.

August 31, 2022 8:35 pm  #8

The CBC website has part 1 of an oral history of the Summit Series, as told solely by those who were there - the players and the people around them. Lots of great vintage pics, as well. 

CBC Sports Oral Histories | The ‘72 Summit Series, 50 years later: Part I

September 1, 2022 12:17 am  #9

I had absolutely no memory of this - the Summit series games were split between CTV and CBC. For some reason, my dim memory of this had it airing only on CBC. But the TV Guide listing from Sept. 4, 1972 shows that wasn't the case - although CKVR, CKWS from Kingston, and CHEX carried all of them, regardless of their network affiliation at the time. 

And this ad makes it clear that the CBC only carried games 2 and 4 before everything moved overseas. 

September 1, 2022 8:17 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

I had absolutely no memory of this - the Summit series games were split between CTV and CBC. For some reason, my dim memory of this had it airing only on CBC. But the TV Guide listing from Sept. 4, 1972 shows that wasn't the case - although CKVR, CKWS from Kingston, and CHEX carried all of them, regardless of their network affiliation at the time. 

And this ad makes it clear that the CBC only carried games 2 and 4 before everything moved overseas. 

Looking at those channel bullets. I suspect the "black" 10 was CFPL. The only "white" 10 listing back then I knew about was WHEC Rochester. I knew North Bay had a ch 10. I don't recall it being in the GTA area TV  Guide listings.

September 1, 2022 7:53 pm  #11

mace wrote:

Looking at those channel bullets. I suspect the "black" 10 was CFPL. The only "white" 10 listing back then I knew about was WHEC Rochester. I knew North Bay had a ch 10. I don't recall it being in the GTA area TV  Guide listings. 

I don't quite know how to explain it, but here are the channel listings from that TV Guide back in 1972. As you guessed, the white channel 10 was WHEC Rochester. Why they would be carrying the Canada-Russia game is beyond me, but unless it's a misprint, that's what was in the guide.

September 2, 2022 2:01 pm  #12

https://twitter.com/72SeriesBendell/status/1565684986220630016?t=BzzSQfqyfMPUBaGmJyX2uA&s=19

A picture is worth a thousand words. Especially when it's a comic.

September 13, 2022 11:34 am  #13

A reminder that this series begins airing on Wednesday night, but should be available free on CBC Gem if you miss it. 

According to this Globe & Mail article, special attention was paid to something you might not expect from a hockey doc - the soundtrack. 

"Though the initial thought was to stick to songs from 1972, the palette was broadened to include music from that decade and beyond. For example, Victory Lap by Winnipeg punk band Propagandhi is only five years old. Go-to hockey anthems such as Stompin’ Tom’s The Hockey Song and Tom Cochrane’s Big League were never seriously considered."

CBC hockey documentary Summit 72 features punk rock, Inuit throat singing and a Leonard Cohen deep cut, but no Stompin’ Tom
https://clearthis.page/?u=https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-cbc-hockey-documentary-summit-72-features-punk-rock-inuit-throat/

September 14, 2022 4:50 pm  #14

The day for this multi-part doc has arrived and TV critic Bill Brioux, channeling his inner teenager, says this is one "series" that's not to be missed. 

SUMMIT 72 is much more than just a hockey history lesson

September 14, 2022 7:35 pm  #15

going to be weird and wonderful to revisit this series through grown-up eyes

looking forward to reading people's impressions of the first episode 😁🏒

September 15, 2022 9:57 am  #16

Some thoughts on Part 1. Team Canada was incredibly out of shape compared to the Russian team. I remember thinking after Canada scored twice in the first six minutes, Hey Lighten up a bit. Give these guys a chance. Nice touch showing the original Labatt 50 ad "Take five for 50 ale" Only quible, the english translation of the Russian player comments was sometimes difficult to read in white often with the rink ice in the background. Overall, very well put together. Can't wait for Part II.

September 16, 2022 12:23 am  #17

I really enjoyed the first episode. Among other things, it was great to hear Roger Doucet belting out O Canada.
Regarding the TV rights, Alan Eagleson made an unholy alliance with Harold Ballard to buy the rights, then quickly sold them to his Tory buddy John Bassett at CTV. The Eagle claimed there was little interest at CBC, but that was likely a self-serving claim. In any event, more money in the Eagle's pocket.
The sale to CTV created a firestorm because in those days, the private network wasn't available in all parts of the country. Not allowing everyone to see the games wasn't going to fly. So I believe the deal was CTV offering the broadcasts to the CBC affiliates in those under-served areas.
I distinctly remember reading the best description of Game One, which came from a US broadcaster. "I knew I was going to be seeing history. But I didn't think it would be Dunkirk."

Last edited by dieter (September 16, 2022 10:11 am)

September 21, 2022 4:21 pm  #18

A most excellent first episode. The ebb and flow, tic tac toe precision of the play on the ice. The 70's clothing including lots of purple and prints. Setting the stage with just enough explanation to entertain, not bore the viewer.

God I love hockey.

Second episode airs tonight. Going to continue to enjoy the red line, actual body contact, the pristine boards surrounding the rink, and will freshly appreciate the lack of ads on the Canadian team sweaters.

September 21, 2022 4:23 pm  #19

Not to mention all those Canadian players with no helmets!

September 21, 2022 4:58 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

The first NHL player to wear a helmut on a regular basis was Red Kelly after he was traded by the Red Wings to the Leafs in 1960. The NHL made helmuts mandatory for all players entering the league after June 1, 1979. A "Grandfather" clause for players in the league before that date, permitted the wearing of helmuts to be a personal choice. The last player to go helmutless was St. Louis Blues center Craig MacTavish during the 1996-97 season. [Information from November 2011 Richard Bak article "A Short Heads-Up History of the Hockey Helmut"

September 21, 2022 11:50 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

and major sideburns! and only some of their teeth!

P.S. Canada Post has put their stamp of approval on the series if you're looking to commemorate this bit of history. Example below 👇

https://twitter.com/TeamCanada1972/status/1572793822127751174?t=vbekCQuopPVladlnyWPqxA&s=19

Last edited by betaylored (September 22, 2022 12:02 am)