sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2022 7:15 am  #1

Whatever Happened To NT1010's Robert Turner?

He's been a regular and welcome presence as part of Moore In The Morning for years, but lately, technical op and commentator Robert Turner has been missing from the show. 

Turns out, unlike host John Moore, he's not on vacation. Earlier this year, Turner was promoted to a management position and on Tuesday morning, guest host Jerry Agar revealed he's been tending to some "managerial duties" for the past few weeks, adding that he'll eventually be back keeping Moore honest.

Uh oh. In my experience, someone who attains a management rank - and all the additional work that entails - often gets so busy, they no longer have time to do both their previous job and their new one. So good for Robert Turner - he deserves the promotion. But potentially bad for the listeners, who've enjoyed his constant corrections and curmudgeonly comments on the show for years. 

Let's hope he can juggle both. But I can't help but think that soon, we won't be hearing him as much anymore - if at all. And that would be a real loss.

July 26, 2022 8:05 am  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To NT1010's Robert Turner?

Oh no!!  Good for Robert that he got a promotion but not so good for us the listeners.  Let's cross our fingers that John Moore doesn't decide to leave.

July 26, 2022 8:17 am  #3

I don't think Turner's promotion will affect Moore's future in any way. But losing Robert's voice on the morning show would be very unfortunate. 

July 27, 2022 12:56 pm  #4

I received an email from a SOWNY Board member who would prefer to remain anonymous, pointing out the CFRB Board Ops are usually union positions. Which means if Robert Turner was promoted to management, he'd likely no longer be allowed to do that job. 

That doesn't mean he still couldn't go on air, but he'd have less reason to be in early when the morning show is on. 

This does not bode well for continuing to hear him, but I certainly hope that doesn't happen. His sometimes-sarcastic comments and corrections are my favourite part of the morning show. Besides, who else is going to torture John Moore with Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" and the Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer In The City" as bumper music?

July 27, 2022 8:29 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I received an email from a SOWNY Board member who would prefer to remain anonymous, pointing out the CFRB Board Ops are usually union positions. Which means if Robert Turner was promoted to management, he'd likely no longer be allowed to do that job. 

That doesn't mean he still couldn't go on air, but he'd have less reason to be in early when the morning show is on. 

This does not bode well for continuing to hear him, but I certainly hope that doesn't happen. His sometimes-sarcastic comments and corrections are my favourite part of the morning show. Besides, who else is going to torture John Moore with Soft Cell's "Tainted Love" and the Lovin' Spoonful's "Summer In The City" as bumper music?

I knew John Moore had an immense dislike for Tainted Love and Seasons In The Sun. I was not aware of Summer In The City.

July 27, 2022 10:34 pm  #6

Radioactive wrote: "I received an email from a SOWNY Board member who would prefer to remain anonymous, pointing out the CFRB Board Ops are usually union positions. Which means if Robert Turner was promoted to management, he'd likely no longer be allowed to do that job."

When I was imaging Newstalk 1010 back in 2003-2005, the board operators were NOT union in any way,.  Possibly this happened during Bell's ownership (which I wouldn't doubt). 

Last edited by Doug Thompson (July 27, 2022 10:34 pm)

July 28, 2022 9:24 am  #7

even the wicked deserve rest... it's called vacation, however it makes sense that at some point he relinquishes the chair due to additional responsibilities.

July 29, 2022 8:39 am  #8

Turner was never in the union.  He has been management for years in his role as chief operator.  The union was formed at NEWSTALK 1010 in large part, due to Bell’s unwillingness to pay their operators and producers properly and it finally came to bite them in the ass.

July 29, 2022 8:56 am  #9

Good to know and it doesn't surprise me at all the decisions that Bell made. It's exactly what I would have expected from the penny-pinchers there. I hope it means Turner will be back eventually. He's like the salt or the seasoning on that morning show. It's a bit more bland without him. 

August 2, 2022 6:00 am  #10

Nice to hear Mr. Turner back on the morning show where he belongs. Despite my fears that his promotion might change that, he returned on Monday, keeping guest host Jerry Agar honest with facts and dissenting opinions. It made the show better and more entertaining and I hope he's there regularly. 

August 8, 2022 9:31 am  #11

I did not hear the entire Moore Monday morning show, but I did hear continuing hints that Robert Turner may not be a part of it for much longer. At one point, Moore asked him, "but who's going to be here to keep me honest?" To which Turner responded in typical fashion, "Maybe I can do it remotely."

At the end of the program, Moore asked Turner if he'll see him tomorrow. The response: You'll see me, just not on this show. 

Not sure if this is permanent or whether he's just coming and going to take care of his new management duties. I hope it's the latter, so we don't lose his voice entirely. To me, with no offense to Mr. Moore, he's my favourite part of the show.