sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 21, 2022 4:59 pm  #1

Upcoming Movie “Fall” Is Centered Around a 2,000-Foot Radio Tower

Well, actually it's more like a TV tower, but it's certainly up there. I'm not sure this film is something I would want to see but SOWNY member and antenna fan Scott Fybush might like the scenery, if nothing else. "Fall" opens August 12th.

Based on this preview, it will possibly close soon after, but who knows if this will be a hit with the public? Judge for yourself, below.

Upcoming Movie “Fall” Is Centered Around a 2,000-Foot Radio Tower

July 22, 2022 8:10 am  #2

Re: Upcoming Movie “Fall” Is Centered Around a 2,000-Foot Radio Tower

My first thought. Where is this tower located and which radio station uses it? Second. Judging from the trailer, not a good movie for people with a fear of height.

July 22, 2022 8:43 am  #3

mace wrote:

My first thought. Where is this tower located and which radio station uses it? Second. Judging from the trailer, not a good movie for people with a fear of height.

The movie may have shots of the KRDK-TV mast in North Dakota (47°16′45″N 97°20′26″W) which is the tallest in the US and is one of the world's tallest man-made structures.  Other scenes were clearly not a real tower.

Of note, the tallest "tower" in Canada is the CKX-TV tower (now off the air) in Brandon, Manitoba (1,350 feet - 49°40′6″N 100°0′41″W)

July 22, 2022 10:23 am  #4

Acrophobic? Why not see this in IMAX? Perhaps a double-bill with Free Solo. For science!

July 22, 2022 4:29 pm  #5

I think the entire structure is computer-generated. A whole raft of details which are somewhat implausible:

1) I realize this is meant to be an old tower, but towers where the three legs are individually anchored into concrete haven't been designed this way for decades.  Nowadays, the three either rest on a horizontal based which has a pin and socket arrangement underneath, or there is a tapered section which terminates in a similar arrangement.  The reason for doing this is that there is no shear uplift on the tower base connection when the tower tilts or twists in the wind. 
2) A site with no transmitter building of any kind?  Derelict yes, but unlit, no way. =16px The FCC may issue fines of up to $22,021 for each violation, or each day of a continuing violation, up to a total of $165,159 for any single act or failure to act.
3) Same goes for the totally faded aviation orange paint job.  Just would not be tolerated, whether or not the tower is used.
4) A tower that is 2000 feet high would typically have a twelve foot face width and perhaps 10 guy levels.  This amazing tower appears to have only one guy?
5) 2000 foot towers are typically equipped with elevators, even way back when.  Getting stuck as a result of malfunctioning control system was no fun. 

It wouldn't have taken much effort for the writers to get some subject matter expertise, and incorporate the details without detracting from this otherwise horror show. They could still have bolts failing, or even a guy wire or two snapping, or the diagonal tension rods ("hog rods") pulling apart. 

Don't think I'll be rushing to take this one in.

July 22, 2022 5:55 pm  #6

I'm guessing the people who go see this movie won't have your expertise and probably won't notice all the mistakes!

I wonder if doctors who watch medical shows on TV sit there and say, "THAT would never happen!"

July 23, 2022 10:58 am  #7

Skywave wrote:

I think the entire structure is computer-generated. A whole raft of details which are somewhat implausible:

1) I realize this is meant to be an old tower, but towers where the three legs are individually anchored into concrete haven't been designed this way for decades.  Nowadays, the three either rest on a horizontal based which has a pin and socket arrangement underneath, or there is a tapered section which terminates in a similar arrangement.  The reason for doing this is that there is no shear uplift on the tower base connection when the tower tilts or twists in the wind. 
2) A site with no transmitter building of any kind?  Derelict yes, but unlit, no way. =16px The FCC may issue fines of up to $22,021 for each violation, or each day of a continuing violation, up to a total of $165,159 for any single act or failure to act.
3) Same goes for the totally faded aviation orange paint job.  Just would not be tolerated, whether or not the tower is used.
4) A tower that is 2000 feet high would typically have a twelve foot face width and perhaps 10 guy levels.  This amazing tower appears to have only one guy?
5) 2000 foot towers are typically equipped with elevators, even way back when.  Getting stuck as a result of malfunctioning control system was no fun. 

It wouldn't have taken much effort for the writers to get some subject matter expertise, and incorporate the details without detracting from this otherwise horror show. They could still have bolts failing, or even a guy wire or two snapping, or the diagonal tension rods ("hog rods") pulling apart. 

Don't think I'll be rushing to take this one in.

They've GOT to get you for the commentary track.

July 23, 2022 5:10 pm  #8

I showed the trailer to my wife and she was all like "Nope!".

I guess that particular title was taken.