sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2022 12:11 am  #1

CTV Toronto Late-Night Sports

CTV Toronto has been making a hash of sports in their late-night newscasts since they "retired" Lance Brown and Joe Tilly. As much as I didn't care for either guy, at least they knew sports.  Since they left, the station's anchors and production staff have pretty much made a joke of their Blue Jays, Raptors, Leafs, Argos and TFC highlights. The anchors are clueless and the highlights are usually clumsy and misleading.  But, Pauline Chan managed to hit a new low on Thursday night when she said the score in the Blue Jays-Seattle game was "3 to 8." It almost makes one wish they'd hire Earl Camembert or Les Nessman.

July 8, 2022 12:18 am  #2

Re: CTV Toronto Late-Night Sports

The whole thing is stupid. They really should have kept Joe Tilley as a TSN reporter, reporting on CTV Toronto (CFTO) 
Even Rogers is smart enough to go to Sportsnet on week-ends for sports...at least!

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 8, 2022 8:32 am  #3

They should go back to what they used to do after they fired their only sports people - just not do sports or highlights at all. People won't really notice what's not there - but they sure do when it's so haphazard or wrong. One highlight from a single game (which is what they do) does not tell you anything. Worse yet, they have TSN, so there's no excuse for a poor sports report. 

As for the 3-8 score, there's a newscaster on AM 640 who does the evening shift, a woman named Karen Johnson, who makes an utter mess of scores every time she tries to say them. In addition to sometimes doing a "Jays 5- Yankees 8" type of scenario, she'll say things like "It's the Leafs "Oh" and the Rangers 1."  She never uses the term "nothing," as in "it's 1-nothing."

Or she'll say "The Jays and Mariners are playing and so far no nobody has any points yet." Yikes!  No one gives scores that way and for some reason, no one has ever corrected her. It's embarrassing. 

July 8, 2022 3:31 pm  #4

Ottawa has number of pro teams, basketball, baseball, soccer and a number of junior hockey teams.  With no sportscasters left in Canada's capital, we only get Sens and Redblacks results.
But, look at all the money saved111

July 8, 2022 5:11 pm  #5

And then there's 680 News with their recorded midday sportscasts. One report around 12:15 Friday said Djokovic was up 2-1 in the 2nd set of his Wimbledon semifinal. Thirty minutes later, it was still 2-1. Not likely. Thirty minutes later, no score -- just that they were playing.

Last edited by dieter (July 8, 2022 11:23 pm)

July 9, 2022 1:36 am  #6

CityNews Ottawa took a sports report from Toronto.  The woman says the Jays/Mariners game is on Sportsnet at 10.  Of course it is on Apple+.

July 17, 2022 12:13 am  #7

Another classic CTV Toronto newscast with Pauline Chan. She told us about the Blue Jays' comeback win over KC. But the clip played was the Royals' home run in the top of the 10th -- not the winning hit in the bottom of the inning.
    Then for good measure, Pauline introduced an item on the Calgary Stampede by saying "Over on the West Coast..."

July 17, 2022 2:36 am  #8

Unless someone dies, there's no reason why local newscasts should be doing sports. Same goes for CP24 blasting email alerts with Leafs and Raptors results when Numeris and Nielsen have proven for years that the vast majority of sports fans don't watch games live.    

July 17, 2022 4:17 am  #9

Mavridis wrote:

Unless someone dies, there's no reason why local newscasts should be doing sports. 

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in my entire life. 
If anything, CTV Toronto news should be going to sports from the TSN sports desk instead of the news anchor having to do sports. That also adds the benefit of free plug for TSN while they're at it.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 17, 2022 8:36 am  #10

Using TSN sports makes sense, therefore CTV won't do it.

July 17, 2022 1:54 pm  #11

I seem to recall that there was a time when the CTV Toronto anchors would go to the TSN desk for a sports report;  but I cannot remember the last time I saw it happen.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 17, 2022 1:55 pm)

July 17, 2022 3:38 pm  #12

Media Observer wrote:

I seem to recall that there was a time when the CTV Toronto anchors would go to the TSN desk for a sports report;  but I cannot remember the last time I saw it happen.

CTV’s local newscasts branded their sports segments with TSN for a period of time in the early 2000s. I remember CKCO’s Randy Steinman having a TSN logo alongside him back then.

July 17, 2022 3:47 pm  #13

CFRB also used to have a TSN update at the end of their local newscasts. That disappeared quite quickly and now I'm not even sure they ever give any scores at all. Hard to believe with a large staff at that sports network they couldn't find a single body to do a 1-minute recap, which could only help promote the brand. 

But then Bell fired the entire RB newsroom, so it's probably not so surprising after all. 

July 17, 2022 9:19 pm  #14

A friend of mine was an executive at Bell.  He told me they don't care about serving listeners or viewers.
They just care about shareholders.

July 17, 2022 10:41 pm  #15

Radiowiz wrote:

Mavridis wrote:

Unless someone dies, there's no reason why local newscasts should be doing sports. 

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read in my entire life. 
If anything, CTV Toronto news should be going to sports from the TSN sports desk instead of the news anchor having to do sports. That also adds the benefit of free plug for TSN while they're at it.

Really?  THAT'S the most ridiculous thing you've ever read in your life?  

Tell me, what's the benefit for CTV to run a TSN update?  Because CTV ain't gonna make a penny from it.  In fact, all that's doing is keeping you from flipping over to TSN to watch a little Sports Centre, and maybe make it part of your routine.  What is the point of a 'free plug' if you're not actually getting eyeballs on that channel.  It's not like TSN is new and needs a 'plug'.  But hey, you're apparently the programming genius here who has never read a more ridiculous thing.  Dying to know how you'd make money from this.  
And remember, they don't give a crap about servicing you.  They just want your time and money.  OK, Go!  

July 17, 2022 11:14 pm  #16

Local sports is what local news should be covering. Not just the Leafs and Blue Jays, but high school sports, college and university sports, even peewee or local leagues.

CityPulse used to excel at this, and in smaller markets like London this was also covered very well at one time.

July 18, 2022 9:00 am  #17

Unfortunately, most Torontonians only care about how the Leafs, Raptors and Jays are doing. Another small percentage are curious about what is happening with Toronto FC and the Argos.