sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2022 12:50 pm  #1

CRTC Ponders New Radio Station In London

If granted, it likely won't be much of a market changer. The request is a for a new low power ethnic station at 90.9 FM, with an ERP of just 50 watts. It would be devoted to what the application calls the "Indo-Dravidian community," with programs in languages ranging from Tamil, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati and Malayalam to English and French.

London Radio Application

July 7, 2022 1:00 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Ponders New Radio Station In London

Thanks for posting that. It's the first I've heard of it.

What we really need here in London is a classical music station. The one that operates in Cobourg and Toronto has also expanded into the Georgian Bay area. I wonder if they have ever considered moving into the London market.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 12, 2022 8:04 am  #3

I am not familiar with which out of market stations can be received in London. What about Classical formatted WQLN in Erie, Pa?

July 12, 2022 10:45 am  #4

The London Free Press has more details on the new station application, including the fact its proposed call letters are CIAL-FM.

Groundbreaking Indian, South Asian radio station makes play for London airwaves

July 12, 2022 10:51 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

The London Free Press has more details on the new station application, including the fact its proposed call letters are CIAL-FM.

Groundbreaking Indian, South Asian radio station makes play for London airwaves

Very clever. 
Canadian Indian Asian London Ontario radio station!
(South Asian really, but still very clever!)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 12, 2022 10:54 am  #6

mace wrote:

I am not familiar with which out of market stations can be received in London. What about Classical formatted WQLN in Erie, Pa?

Rarely'

There's often QRM from a station in Kitchener.

July 12, 2022 2:02 pm  #7

mace wrote:

In London itself, on FM I’ve never been able to regularly get anything out-of-market aside from CHYM and CFCA from Kitchener. In the east end of London, also 91.5 The Beat. In the west end of London where I used to live, some Detroit stations came in clearly at times, such as WRIF and WOMC. But not all the time.

Reception from across Lake Erie increases a lot in Elgin County and St. Thomas. WRTS 103.7 from Erie comes in quite reliably east of St. Thomas, and to the west Cleveland stations come in reliably including WNCX and WMMS. Never tried to get WQLN from the north side of Lake Erie, though I have listened to it from Pennsylvania - they air both classical music and some NPR news programming.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (July 12, 2022 2:06 pm)

July 12, 2022 2:16 pm  #8

MJ Vancouver wrote:

mace wrote:

In London itself, on FM I’ve never been able to regularly get anything out-of-market aside from CHYM and CFCA from Kitchener. In the east end of London, also 91.5 The Beat. In the west end of London where I used to live, some Detroit stations came in clearly at times, such as WRIF and WOMC. But not all the time.

Reception from across Lake Erie increases a lot in Elgin County and St. Thomas. WRTS 103.7 from Erie comes in quite reliably east of St. Thomas, and to the west Cleveland stations come in reliably including WNCX and WMMS. Never tried to get WQLN from the north side of Lake Erie, though I have listened to it from Pennsylvania - they air both classical music and some NPR news programming.

In St Thomas and Port Stanley, WQLN is reliable.

July 12, 2022 2:54 pm  #9

MJ Vancouver wrote:

mace wrote:

Same for me In the East end of London I get Erie PA stations like WQLN 91.3, WRTS 103.7 and WTWF 93.9 The Wolf and some Buffalo stations like 99.5 WDCX and on rare occasions WTSS 102.5 and WKSE 98.5 sometimes come in.

July 12, 2022 3:40 pm  #10

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

Same for me In the East end of London I get Erie PA stations like WQLN 91.3, WRTS 103.7 and WTWF 93.9 The Wolf and some Buffalo stations like 99.5 WDCX and on rare occasions WTSS 102.5 and WKSE 98.5 sometimes come in.

I too live in east London. The only one of those stations with which I'm familiar is WQLN, but I seldom get it. How reliable is it for you?

July 13, 2022 9:49 am  #11

turkeytop wrote:

haydenmatthews14 wrote:

I too live in east London. The only one of those stations with which I'm familiar is WQLN, but I seldom get it. How reliable is it for you?

It is really good sometimes but it depends on the car I am in, The weather condition or the location because of the CFPL TV/Radio tower that causes too much interference with out of market stations. 

July 16, 2022 11:12 am  #12

MJ Vancouver wrote:

mace wrote:

CKPC Brantford  92.1 and Chatham's  CKSY 95.1 can usually be received in London with a sensitive radio.

July 16, 2022 1:11 pm  #13

There is also a cowboy music station out of Woodstock. There is another out of Stratford. Not sure what genre their format represents, but it's just awful.

I'm just glad I have SXM.

July 16, 2022 3:08 pm  #14

turkeytop wrote:

If I go though some tough economic times and have to cancel all but one subscription, SXM is the one I'm keeping.

July 16, 2022 3:48 pm  #15

darcyh wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

mace wrote:

CKPC Brantford  92.1 and Chatham's  CKSY 95.1 can usually be received in London with a sensitive radio.

That is true about CKPC, I’d forgotten about that station. On my car radio I could sometimes get CKSY in London, but usually didn’t come in clearly until Komoka or Mount Brydges. Likewise with K106 in Sarnia (I see they’ve rebranded).

July 16, 2022 4:41 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

If I go though some tough economic times and have to cancel all but one subscription, SXM is the one I'm keeping.

If I lived in a large city like Toronto or Montreal I could get by without SXM. We spend our winters in the Tampa Bay area and I listen only to terrestrial radio there.

But here in small town London there isn't much worthwhile to listen to, ever since CBC flipped radio II to its all garage band format.

I use SXM here. And I use it when driving through the southern states where the dial is filled with religion, screaming, right wing politics, cowboy music and NASCAR.

Last edited by turkeytop (July 16, 2022 4:41 pm)

July 17, 2022 10:55 am  #17

turkeytop wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

If I lived in a large city like Toronto or Montreal I could get by without SXM. We spend our winters in the Tampa Bay area and I listen only to terrestrial radio there.

But here in small town London there isn't much worthwhile to listen to, ever since CBC flipped radio II to its all garage band format.

I use SXM here. And I use it when driving through the southern states where the dial is filled with religion, screaming, right wing politics, cowboy music and NASCAR.

Agree, there's not much in the way of compelling content across the dial in London. Still surprised there are two 'country' format stations on the FM dial.

July 17, 2022 1:56 pm  #18

darcyh wrote:

Agree, there's not much in the way of compelling content across the dial in London. Still surprised there are two 'country' format stations on the FM dial.

Coming back from Florida this spring we stopped for the night in Dayton OH, a town about half the size of London. There was a lot more selection on the radio there, Three public stations. One of them, full time classical music. Plus, there were a few decent commercial stations too. 

July 17, 2022 2:15 pm  #19

I'm not sure what it is in Ohio - maybe it's the water - but they have always had great radio stations and terrific talent, even in some of the tiniest towns. It has always amazed me whenever I've passed through that state (and it's admittedly been a long time) but for some inexplicable reason their stations all sound high quality and really terrific - even in a small city like Niles or some other place. 

It's just a great state for radio. Maybe someday, someone will figure out why.