sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2022 1:56 pm  #1

CRTC Study: Why Canadian TV May Not Survive Much Longer

Can Canadian TV as we know it survive?

That’s the provocative question behind a very long and exhaustive new study put up on the CRTC website Thursday. And the answer seems to be only a qualified maybe.

The study, which took me almost an hour to read in its entirety, is by Peter Miller, a lawyer who has worked for both the CAB and CHUM, among other broadcast reps. His major concern is with the still relatively new streaming services in the U.S., which he claims are tying up international rights that always used to be sold to Canadian TV stations.

Now, he fears, it’s becoming harder and more expensive for the CTVs and the Globals to acquire rights to hit U.S. shows in this country, while American giants keep those exclusive rights to themselves in a bid to attract your wallets and your eyeballs.  

“The issue of whether a separate Canadian television program rights market can continue to exist, and a Canadian broadcasting system as we have come to know it exist along with it, is now very much in question,” he writes.

He argues the problem isn’t one of economics but government policy, with the feds having already thrown in the towel against this new competition. “…there are indications that public policy makers have started to assume the game is over – that a separate Canadian program rights market and a Canadian owned and controlled predominantly private for-profit broadcasting system will, or at least may, not continue to exist for much longer.”

He cites the odious (my words, not his) Bill C-11 as evidence and claims we are racing the clock to keep the Canadian TV industry alive.

“Left unchecked, this new trend is significant enough that it could effectively lead to the disabling of the Canadian broadcasting system as we know it, in a matter of single digit years… As one interviewee put it, like a watering hole in a desert in Africa, with Netflix, Amazon and other big elephants sucking up all the water, access to content is drying up.”

He believes there are 3 main threats:

• Rights traditionally acquired by Canadian broadcasters drying up, and available rights becoming narrower and more expensive;
  • For the first time, evidence of foreign OTT (Over The Top, i.e. Streaming) providers even outbidding conventional TV broadcasters for primetime rights; and
  • Foreign OTT players seeking to commission domestic original programming from the markets they operate in that will resonate globally – in the short term, helping contribute to record high levels of foreign service production in Canada, but also threatening to take away a truly sustainable competitive edge of the Canadian owned and controlled broadcasting system –original Canadian programming.

And he claims another unseen threat is YouTube, which is taking Canadian eyeballs southward in ever increasing numbers.

He warns the TV river is already drying up north of the border, and cites an unnamed “popular U.S. TV show” being bid on by an equally unnamed Canadian network. But he claims the Amazon Prime streaming service deliberately overpaid for it, so they could keep the rights exclusively to themselves, thus keeping it off of free or cable TV in Canada. So if you wanted to see it, you had to subscribe to them, because it wouldn’t be available anywhere else.

I’m not arguing his conclusions per se. Anyone can see that what he talks about is already happening and has been for some time. You want Ted Lasso? You won’t find it anywhere else but on Apple+.

But when he says more government interference (what he calls legislation) is needed, he loses me. We almost certainly have quite enough of it already, and sadly, more is on the way with Bill C-11.

The sad truth to me is that technology changes. Canadian TV needs to find a way to change with it. The dinosaurs apparently didn’t learn that lesson in the prehistoric age. Let’s hope the people behind the various national networks here have learned from that mistake. Before the streaming meteor hits even harder. 

You can read the entire lengthy but fascinating study here.

July 14, 2022 2:43 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Study: Why Canadian TV May Not Survive Much Longer

Heard (herd?!) a radio spot for a new Canadian tv show, can't remember the name of it but it's basically a dating show for farmers. Or there's always the American Ninja something or other show that's running another radio ad. Think both are on CTV.🥱🤨😒
Regular broadcast television needs a Stranger Things or Billions.
Regular broadcast television doesn't want to spend the bucks or do the work to find the next hot showrunner and cast of actors to create the show that people will crave, pun intended.
Coming up this fall, cops and lawyers and doctors, oh my.😴😴😴

Last edited by betaylored (July 14, 2022 2:47 pm)

July 14, 2022 3:51 pm  #3

In his long piece, the author also warns that the future of over-the-air TV news hangs in the balance - not to mention the balance sheet.

"The reality is that true local news has never been and never will be very profitable. Most Canadians assume news is “free”. The percentage of Canadians who expressly pay for news hovers around 10%. And in the free advertising supported model with which it primarily exists on broadcasting, it needs to be “packaged” with other popular/profitable content to be viable and sustainable."

In his mind, that won't be possible if that "other popular/profitable content" no longer exists. 

July 14, 2022 3:57 pm  #4

betaylored wrote:

Coming up this fall, cops and lawyers and doctors, oh my.😴😴😴

And Dominoes... don't forget about the dominoes!!!...

July 14, 2022 8:20 pm  #5

Broadcast television in general is in peril.  I wonder if any of the OTA networks here or in the US will survive more than five or six years.  CBS, ABC, NBC and FOX cannot last as they are with the ratings they are pulling in.  All networks are going to be radically different than what has been the norm and some may not survive, or get out of the business of producing expensive scripted dramas, and sitcoms.

Notice the non event of the network UpFronts this year, and the flooding of game shows in prime time.  Again this year, very few broadcast network shows are even nominated for an Emmy.  The corporations that own all of the networks here and the US will survive since they are all diversified. However all of the broadcast divisions are going to go through a revolution of change and it could happen much sooner than we think.    

July 14, 2022 10:11 pm  #6

I would argue that we don't have Canadian TV other than the CBC.  The rest exist purely to take advantage of the simsub.  We could have our own stars like Quebec does but none of the private broadcasters have ever wanted that.  Even when they did bother to make Canadian shows they were buried in timeslots guaranteeing no one would watch.  Now that cheap American programming has become expensive American programming their business model is broken.  Going forward Bell and Rogers will need to keep gouging us on internet and sports programming in order to stay alive.

July 15, 2022 7:08 am  #7

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I would argue that we don't have Canadian TV other than the CBC.  The rest exist purely to take advantage of the simsub.  We could have our own stars like Quebec does but none of the private broadcasters have ever wanted that.  Even when they did bother to make Canadian shows they were buried in timeslots guaranteeing no one would watch.  Now that cheap American programming has become expensive American programming their business model is broken.  Going forward Bell and Rogers will need to keep gouging us on internet and sports programming in order to stay alive.

Well said.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 16, 2022 9:51 am  #8

I know the UK has twice our population but when you look at how much content the Independent (ie private) TV channels in the Britain have produced - some shlock but a lot of it of very high quality - you can't help but think that CTV, Global, and more recently Rogers were really taking advantage - outside of news production, they were little more than rebroadcasters of US content. It's appropriate that its their dependence on US content (and their avoidance of a serious commitment to producing their own content outside of the minimum they could get away with for Cancon) that could end up being their downfall. 

Last edited by Hansa (July 16, 2022 9:54 am)