sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2022 1:40 pm  #1

The New Magnum P.I. Will Live On NBC

CBS recently cancelled the new version of Magnum P I because of poor ratings.  NBC has decided to pick up the show with 20 new episodes to run over two seasons....More details from IndieWire.
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/why-nbc-saved-magnum-pi-cbs-cancellation-1234738237/

July 11, 2022 2:27 pm  #2

Re: The New Magnum P.I. Will Live On NBC

Seems turnabout is fair play. In 1995, NBC aired one season of "JAG" and then promptly got rid of it. CBS picked it up the next year, where it would become a big ratings winner and would stay on that network until 2005. This could be the Peacock network's attempt at revenge!

You'd think that very few shows switch networks, but it does happen more often than you realize. I especially remember "My Three Sons" having a long and healthy run on CBS, after ABC let it go. And "Make Room For Daddy" aka "The Danny Thomas Show," which turns up weekdays on CHCH, started on ABC and wound up being a success on CBS for many more years. 

Lists of TV shows that have changed networks

July 11, 2022 3:02 pm  #3

Little known fact that NBC had planned to pick up the TV series Batman after it was cancelled by ABC in 1968.

There could have been a season four until it was discovered that most of the shows expensive sets had been dismantled and destroyed after ABC cancelled the series after 120 episodes.  NBC decided to take a pass on continuing Batman because of the expense of rebuilding sets.

In 1966 ABC had convinced affiliates for one more minute of commercial time than normal in the show to help pay for expensive production costs.  Batman also was one of ABC's first series scripted programs in colour when it debuted in 1966. 

July 13, 2022 1:43 am  #4

NBC dropped Baywatch after one season.  It then went on to world wide success in syndication for 10 more seasons with an estimated one billion viewers a week.

July 13, 2022 9:40 am  #5

Tomas Barlow wrote:

NBC dropped Baywatch after one season.  It then went on to world wide success in syndication for 10 more seasons with an estimated one billion viewers a week.

You could add Hee-Haw to that list. It ran from 1969-71 on CBS and another 23 years in syndication,and while the Lawrence Welk Show had a successful four year run on KTLA [1951-55] and sixteen years on ABC [1955-71] it still managed to be popular for an additional eleven seasons in syndication [1971-82]

July 13, 2022 9:06 pm  #6

In the never-ending list of reboots come two more - Criminal Minds will be back for a 10 episode series on Paramount+ with many of the original cast members. 

And then there's this horror, which I use both figuratively and literally. Rob Zombie has finished shooting his "Munsters Movie" and it will be out in the fall. After watching the abysmal trailer (which doesn't appear to have an "Eddie" character), I hope it doesn't scare up too much business, and that they'll stop bringing this stuff back from the dead!

For God's sake, just let the original rest in peace!