sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2022 9:18 pm  #31

Re: Rogers Outage

I have regular radio and physical media. All is swell.

July 8, 2022 10:00 pm  #32

thankfully, i still have digital cable. no ignite for me. what a joke, let's make this company even bigger. 

July 8, 2022 10:38 pm  #33

https://twitter.com/brittlestar/status/1545586098801446913?t=sSoHVXQ2zfdazQK7rSwPmQ&s=19

my wifi is Bell, so I've been okay, I've no Chatr service, Rogers is taking quite the (deserved) beating on Twitter.

funny how some Newstalk 1010 folks admitted to having several or all of their family using a number of Rogers services...

idea for a show topic once Rogers returns to standard operations: what does the average Canadian need to have on hand for emergency readiness, things like: cash, a couple of twenties at least. Quarters for a payphone. They're still around even if hard to find. Know who has a landline in your neighborhood/family. Battery operated AM/FM radio. Spare batteries. Battery operated alarm clock. A stack of paperbacks and a deck of cards wouldn't be a bad idea either. DVD player and movies. A sense of humor and perspective if you can manage it.

I think Newstalk 1010's Moore In The Morning and The Rush did a good job today all things considered. It's unnerving to lose something you rely on and comforting to turn on your favorite radio station to keep informed and hear other humans dealing with the same crummy situation you are.

Last edited by betaylored (July 8, 2022 11:19 pm)

July 9, 2022 7:02 am  #34

TV on antenna, Radio on, day off... all good!!

July 9, 2022 7:32 am  #35

I have had Bell and Rogers for providers.  Still with Rogers, however, I have had problems with both!  Prices still keep going up. They have too much control and we need another provider.  

July 9, 2022 8:08 am  #36

John Tory was saying how great it was that 911 was still working. What a dumb-assed statement. Guess what? if you were on Rogers phone you couldn't get through. In fact because of the outage we went to to our doctor's office and two walk-in clinics and none were accepting patients because their phones and internet were down. We were too scared to go to emergency after that and were thankful for an intelligent pharmacist who was able to help us at least for the time being. This f***ing monopoly has got to end.

July 9, 2022 8:45 am  #37

The fundamental problem is that Bell and Rogers have had decades to build the underlying infrastructure. Bell's twisted pair and Roger's coax have both been overlaid by fibre.  Tens of thousands of wireless towers and rooftop installations. We are talking about billions of infrastructure costs. The only Canadian companies that might have the wherewithal (and the necessary rights of way) would be the power utilities or the railways. Failing that, you would have to open up to foreign ownership.
Companies like TekSavvy, while a good alternative, are still resellers of the major carriers.  TekSavvy went down because their internet service uses the Rogers coaxial cable network.
So the big guys are light years (pun intended) ahead of any truly independent provider coming onto the horizon. It would take major Federal policy changes to make that happen.

July 9, 2022 9:51 am  #38

I don't know if the question is really the big three telecoms and their monopoly and greed.  Rogers, Bell and Telus have about 91% market share in Canada.  In the US AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile have closer to 98% market share. 

The issue is the size of the market and economics.  We have a huge country, other than Southern Ontario, a small and scattered population, harsh climate and geography.  Costs for infrastructure and maintenance are high. 

The US has a huge country, large and richer population that is evenly distributed, generally easier geography and much better climate.  It is easier for the US telecoms to make very healthy profits and they can charge less because of the large market of 335 million people. 

These factors make a big difference.  If the government were to allow foreign competition in, the US companies would be the logical choice.  But foreign competition really means allowing the US telecoms to buy up the Canadian services.  So we would be left with no more competition but be part of a much larger and richer market with lower prices.  How much lower remains to be seen.  However there wouldn't be any more competition than now and none of the major players would be Canadian owned.  

July 9, 2022 5:19 pm  #39

RadioActive wrote:

I had to laugh when CTV Toronto's 6 PM newscast advised viewers wanting the latest information on the Rogers outage to check the station's website. How, exactly, they didn't say.

I saw that too,  RA;  from Pauline Chan.  Michelle Dube said the same thing on the noon news.

As a Rogers customer,  my thinking was the same as yours!

Last edited by Media Observer (July 9, 2022 5:22 pm)

July 9, 2022 5:26 pm  #40

Radiowiz wrote:

I am so glad I have Legacy cable still. I was able to watch TV while Ignite TV was out.

Me too,  but I only had about 15-20 TV channels and the AM/FM stations;  until the service came back.  Everything else showed up with a "Channel Unavailable" message via my Nextbox.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 9, 2022 6:13 pm)

July 9, 2022 5:36 pm  #41

ArriveCan was even down because of this. As of this morning it was back up, which is good for me as I return to Canada tomorrow.

July 9, 2022 6:55 pm  #42

I don’t think the TV situation has been resolved.  I just turned my on and the only station I am getting is CityTV (Rogers) and it keeps breaking up.  Not worth watching!

July 9, 2022 10:42 pm  #43

Listener wrote:

I don’t think the TV situation has been resolved. I just turned my on and the only station I am getting is CityTV (Rogers) and it keeps breaking up. Not worth watching!

How are things now?
Aquarium channel and Fireplace TV were two of the channels down.
They are now back up, so I gather everything is okay now?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 10, 2022 6:58 am  #44

I only have Rogers for my cellphone service. I have Bell for everything else including my old fashioned landline.  I'm very glad I decided not to ditch that.

Since Friday night I've had partial cellphone service. It's weird, I can make calls, but I can't receive calls. I can receive texts but I can't send texts. I've tried calling my cellphone from my landline and it doesn't ring, it goes straight to voice-mail, but the voice-mail never appears on my cellphone.

Like I said, weird. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

July 10, 2022 7:20 am  #45

Glen Warren wrote:

fwiw...  my Rogers cellphone service returned around 5:45pm this afternoon...   Just says "Rogers" so I assume it is one of the older legacy network tiers (normally, my phone switches between 4G and LTE).
I'm in north Burlington, and I can spit at the Rogers (old Cantel) 320' tower at Hwy. 5 and Cedar Springs road  (it is on the Cogeco Burlington head end site).

I ditched cable and satellite about six years ago, so I'm curious how the Rogers Pay/Specialty channels fared today?  CITY, and the two OMNIs were on the air unimpeded today here in the gta when I check via OTA. But what about the SportsNets, and SN360?  and the other Specialty channels?

All of the local Toronto and Buffalo stations were available in HD except CHCH [SD only] All the timeshifting were out. TSN 2 and 4 were fine as was Sportsnet Ont, One and 360.

July 10, 2022 8:37 am  #46

I checked my TV channels this morning and they all seem to be working.  I did find that it takes several seconds (8 second, as I counted them)  before connecting to another station.  Hopefully, that will get rectified as well. Not good if you a channel hopping.

July 10, 2022 9:15 am  #47

https://about.rogers.com/news-ideas/a-message-from-rogers-president-and-ceo/

official message from Rogers president and CEO

as a Chatr customer I received the same message as an email this morning

can't wait to hear the verdict on how this whole shebang has been handled on the radio roundtable discussions tomorrow and on "Touchdowns and Fumbles" on Newstalk 1010 on Friday morning.

July 10, 2022 10:10 am  #48

We're all not stupid. We weren't born yesterday.  Here's what I believe will happen,
Rogers will give everyone credits for that day, then turn around and jack up the bill in a month or so by a good $5 or so to pay for all those credits, no doubt... 

July 10, 2022 1:47 pm  #49

I have a friend to works in IT and here's his thoughts which I found enlightening:
1.  The Rogers acquisition of Shaw should be off the table to provide more competition in the industry so that people are not forced to have all their eggs in one basket.  He went on to say comsumers should split their internet and cell services across companies.
2.  Because the internet is so critical to people's lives now, anytime there is an outage, it shouldn't be simply a matter of not being billed for the outage period.  There should be an outrageous penalty imposed to the service provider so that they do take immediate action to minimize the duration of the outage e.g. $1 rebate to the consumer for every minute the outage lasts.  Consumer are the last to be compensated when they experience issues with service delivery.  If you compare to banks (for example), you get dinged quite hard when you have an overdraft situation on your account.  His point was that companies can hit consumers quite hard, why not the other way around as well.
3.  Hold the Chief Information Officer (CIO) responsible for the communication to their customer base.  The general industry standard is to acknowledge an issue has occurred at the onset and then to provide hourly communication until the problem is resolved.  Of course, the media for communication (e.g. Twitter) would need to be published as part of the companies disaster recovery plan.
4.  Government work with all telcos to develop an agreement that when there is an outages, there is automation routing of the network traffic to other service providers (Bell and Telus in this case).  In addition, each telco should be mandated to have a fail-over system in place.
5.  Any company providing voice service over IP be mandated to have an alternate solution when their network be down to ensure services like 911 are still accessible.
5.  He urged everyone to contact the CRTC to take action on the above points.

July 10, 2022 2:23 pm  #50

JackofAll wrote:

I have a friend to works in IT and here's his thoughts which I found enlightening:

2.  Because the internet is so critical to people's lives now, anytime there is an outage, it shouldn't be simply a matter of not being billed for the outage period.  There should be an outrageous penalty imposed to the service provider so that they do take immediate action to minimize the duration of the outage e.g. $1 rebate to the consumer for every minute the outage lasts.  Consumer are the last to be compensated when they experience issues with service delivery.  If you compare to banks (for example), you get dinged quite hard when you have an overdraft situation on your account.  His point was that companies can hit consumers quite hard, why not the other way around as well.

A dollar for every minute the outage lasts? How about also banning their right to jack up the bill to pay for that loss?
In other words, any credit applied, none of this month later, raising the bill an extra 5 bucks a month to pay for it! 

When something is NOT our fault, why should WE be the ones stuck paying for it in the end?? 

July 10, 2022 2:35 pm  #51

I agree Radiowiz. It will also be interesting, when ones contract comes up for renewal, if they are willing to give a good price.

July 10, 2022 3:33 pm  #52

Radiowiz wrote:

When something is NOT our fault, why should WE be the ones stuck paying for it in the end??   

Whose fault was it?

July 10, 2022 3:45 pm  #53

Ms. C. wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Whose fault was it?

Rogers is blaming it on a maintenance update:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-outage-interac-debit-restored-1.6515869

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 10, 2022 5:30 pm  #54

it's time for the government to mandate that customers can switch to another provider when we have outages like this. 

Last edited by cash (July 10, 2022 6:05 pm)

July 10, 2022 6:53 pm  #55

cash wrote:

it's time for the government to mandate that customers can switch to another provider when we have outages like this. 

Customers can switch when ever they would like (contract aside)

July 10, 2022 8:36 pm  #56

Rogers execs. have been ordered to meet with the federal government minister in charge to explain themselves. I only hope this actually accomplishes something and isn't just another PR ploy on the part of the feds to make it look like they're taking action and then nothing happens.

I had to laugh at the Rogers spokesperson's quote that they're "looking forward to it."

Rogers CEO and other telecom execs summoned to meet with industry minister after outage

July 10, 2022 10:47 pm  #57

RadioActive wrote:

Rogers execs. have been ordered to meet with the federal government minister in charge to explain themselves. I only hope this actually accomplishes something and isn't just another PR ploy on the part of the feds to make it look like they're taking action and then nothing happens.

I had to laugh at the Rogers spokesperson's quote that they're "looking forward to it."

Rogers CEO and other telecom execs summoned to meet with industry minister after outage

That was (and is) my reaction to this.  Call me cynical!

Last edited by Media Observer (July 10, 2022 10:48 pm)

July 10, 2022 11:15 pm  #58

cash wrote:

I like your point Cash, but unfortunately the phone is the phone and the service is the service. 
If there's 5,6, or 700 bucks remaining on a contract and it's there, paying for the phone, switching should still only be allowed once the phone itself is paid off in full.  

That IS how it is currently. Once the phone is paid off in full, there is no more contract forcing one to stay with Rogers. (or any company)

July 11, 2022 5:29 pm  #59

The minister has issued a "request" that the Three Gouge-keteers work together to find a work around if one of their networks goes down. He's given them two months to come up with something.

I can hardly wait to see how they respond to this idea. 

Minister directs telecoms to reach agreement on assisting each other during outages

July 11, 2022 8:02 pm  #60

RadioActive wrote:

The minister has issued a "request" that the Three Gouge-keteers work together to find a work around if one of their networks goes down. He's given them two months to come up with something.

I can hardly wait to see how they respond to this idea. 

Minister directs telecoms to reach agreement on assisting each other during outages

If nothing else one would expect the Three Gouge-keteers😂 could jury rig* a way for everyone to still be able to call 911, and also prioritize "outage service" for emergency services, first responders, hospitals, with possibly media outlets and other companies that serve public safety and awareness getting service back before the general public, in the same way hydro prioritizes certain areas to get power back during a blackout when possible.

We may not be told of the specific plans that are put into place for security reasons.

(*am now curious about the origin of the expression "jury rig")

Last edited by betaylored (July 11, 2022 8:10 pm)