sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2022 11:06 pm  #1

The Weeknd Cancels Toronto Show But Not According To Virgin Radio

Sort of surprised when I heard a break on Virgin Radio late this afternoon talking about the great sold out concert from the Weeknd Friday night in Toronto.  The announcer commented how it was only ten years ago that the Weeknd was playing before a few hundred people at local Toronto clubs but now he can fill major arenas like the Rogers Centre.  Isn't voice tracking and technology great?

Thousands of people disappointed that a major concert is cancelled because of the Rogers outage. This was all over the news late yesterday afternoon and evening. And yet almost 24 hours later, one of Toronto's leading CHR stations is telling listeners this afternoon what a great show it was last night.   Yes radio's credibility and service to their listeners and advertisers continues to go down the drain....along with revenue and ratings.

July 9, 2022 11:55 pm  #2

Re: The Weeknd Cancels Toronto Show But Not According To Virgin Radio

Virgin Radio Toronto should know better. Their own iHeartRadio already reported:  https://www.iheartradio.ca/news/the-weeknd-s-toronto-concert-postponed-1.18173766

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 10, 2022 6:54 am  #3

This wasn't the only type of faux pas. My dog woke me up at 5 AM Saturday and wanted to go for a walk. So I took him, as any good dog daddy would do! With nothing much to listen to, I tuned in the coast-to-coast version of CityNews 680. They threw to sports and did every imaginable score and event, except one - there was not even a single mention of the Blue Jays - not the game, not that it happened and certainly not the score!

The Mariners match had gone into extra innings on the west coast and didn't end until after 2 AM our time. Whenever this package had been recorded must have been before that. And so Canada's only Major League Baseball team was not even acknowledged across the country simply because a sports report - emanating from B.C., no less - had been pre-recorded. 

And to add insult to injury, after all those innings, they lost!

July 10, 2022 7:52 am  #4

The Jays haven't won a game since July 1.  I think they are all tuckered out, along with having no pitchers.  I am still keeping my fingers crossed. 

July 10, 2022 4:27 pm  #5

Listener wrote:

The Jays haven't won a game since July 1.  I think they are all tuckered out, along with having no pitchers.  I am still keeping my fingers crossed. 

Up until a week or so ago, the AL Wild Card race was strictly an AL East affair. But with the Jays, Rays and Red Sox all stumbling recently, the Mariners, Guardians and Orioles!! have quietly crept back into the race.

July 10, 2022 9:31 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

This wasn't the only type of faux pas. My dog woke me up at 5 AM Saturday and wanted to go for a walk. So I took him, as any good dog daddy would do! With nothing much to listen to, I tuned in the coast-to-coast version of CityNews 680. They threw to sports and did every imaginable score and event, except one - there was not even a single mention of the Blue Jays - not the game, not that it happened and certainly not the score!

The Mariners match had gone into extra innings on the west coast and didn't end until after 2 AM our time. Whenever this package had been recorded must have been before that. And so Canada's only Major League Baseball team was not even acknowledged across the country simply because a sports report - emanating from B.C., no less - had been pre-recorded. 

And to add insult to injury, after all those innings, they lost!

I was at that game. It was quite something to be there (even if they lost), probably 70% of the crowd were Jays fans from Canada.