sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2022 1:06 pm  #1

Derringer?

Anybody?

This is dragging on…

July 4, 2022 6:58 pm  #2

Re: Derringer?

mike marshall wrote:

Anybody?

This is dragging on…

what is "this"
not being snarky, genuine question

July 4, 2022 9:39 pm  #3

Thank you for asking, BT. I’m beginning to wonder why this ‘arm’s length investigation’ is taking so long. If Corus is paying for it, that gives them control in a ‘cops investigating cops’ sense, so they might have had an idea of the eventual outcome preferred. Or maybe they are hoping people will just lose interest.
Don’t think that will happen.

July 6, 2022 11:42 am  #4

The longer this goes the easier it'll be for Corus to replace him...helps to further desensitize listeners...

July 6, 2022 12:18 pm  #5

Perhaps they're waiting to see if his absence has any significant impact on ratings?

Last edited by Hansa (July 6, 2022 12:18 pm)

July 6, 2022 3:31 pm  #6

I'm sure  Derringer is on a paid leave of absence pending the findings of the investigation. Even if he is eventually terminated I'm sure his contract calls for a very significant payout. 

July 6, 2022 3:53 pm  #7

zed wrote:

I'm sure  Derringer is on a paid leave of absence pending the findings of the investigation. Even if he is eventually terminated I'm sure his contract calls for a very significant payout. 

From my time with Corus, unless things have changed, contract or not, if you're dismissed with cause, you're not owed a penny.

July 6, 2022 11:03 pm  #8

pinto wrote:

zed wrote:

From my time with Corus, unless things have changed, contract or not, if you're dismissed with cause, you're not owed a penny.

If John has a decent lawyer it would be easy to establish that Corus was aware of the toxic work environment and did nothing, even paying off employees after they brought John's abusive behavior to the attention of the company. It was so accepted it had its own name: Derringer pay. Hard to dismiss someone with cause under these circumstances.

This long period of not terminating him after years of complaints, using Corus company funds to enable John to continue the abusive behavior with a series of coworkers, was in effect sanctioning John's actions and without a doubt presents the opportunity for a lawyer to prove Corus was (allegedly) complicit.

This pattern gives John leverage in negotiating a "go away quietly" package. It's public record that Corus knew. And did nothing. Doesn't make it right.

If Derringer has a sharp lawyer, he could make things uncomfortable for Corus. It's called hush money for a reason.

We may never know what eventually happens, unless the outcome of the Ontario Human Rights case filed by Jen Valentyne makes the news public with Jen coming forward.

Alternatively someone who knows what is happening could spill it here anonymously on the big yellow board.

Last edited by betaylored (July 7, 2022 12:34 am)

July 7, 2022 7:34 am  #9

betaylored wrote:

If John has a decent lawyer it would be easy to establish that Corus was aware of the toxic work environment and did nothing, even paying off employees after they brought John's abusive behavior to the attention of the company. It was so accepted it had its own name: Derringer pay. Hard to dismiss someone with cause under these circumstances.

EXACTLY