sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2022 1:35 pm  #1

What was or Who was this?

I recall a TV show from years ago. I don't even remember the name of the show or what it was about.

All I can remember is one of the show's characters. He always introduced himself as Ray J Johnson Jr. Then he would go on to list all the different ways to address him. "You can call me Ray. You can call me Jay. You can call me Ray Jay. You can call me - - - " etc etc etc. Then he would conclude by saying "But you doesn't need to call me Johnson."

Anyone remember that?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 3, 2022 1:52 pm  #2

Re: What was or Who was this?

That was Bill Saluga, and he performed that bit on a number of variety shows and even in commercials. I remember a friend from high school who was crazy about it and we always used to do it together. (Yeah, I was pretty weird even back then!)

It's really not much of a routine and it always went the same way, when someone would introduce him as "Mr. Johnson."

"NOOO!!! You don't have to call me Johnson! My name is Raymond J. Johnson Jr. Now you can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Junior; now you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ, or you can call me RJJ Jr. , but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

I have no idea why it was funny - maybe it was his delivery or that you knew it was coming - but it was so ridiculous, that it always made me laugh. 

Bill Saluga - Wikipedia

July 3, 2022 2:01 pm  #3

I remember my late father used to laugh so hard at that, he'd be rasping to catch his breath.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 3, 2022 9:18 pm  #4

Thought someone had posted this. Here it is in all its glory. It's as idiotic as I remember.

July 4, 2022 11:16 am  #5

And Bob Dylan used it as the basis for the final verse of Gotta Serve Somebody:
You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray
You may call me anything but no matter what you say

July 4, 2022 11:26 am  #6

He made the variety show circuit in the 70s and was (for some reason) a regular on the Canadian-produced David Steinberg Show, as I recall.

May 7, 2023 4:21 pm  #7

Sorry to hear that Biil Saluga, the original subject of this thread, has passed away. He was 85. 

That "You can call me Ray" shtick still cracks me up every time. It's just so incredibly dumb that it's hilarious. 

Bill Saluga Dies: ‘You Can Call Me Ray’ Comedian Was 85

May 7, 2023 4:48 pm  #8

I had an uncle once that DID laugh at this and say "Geez, call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner!" 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 10, 2023 7:58 am  #9

"You can call me Ray" is one of the great anti-jokes of all time and yes, the humour is in the largely visual reaction of whoever he's talking to - which makes the idea of a Raymond J.  Johnson, Jr comedy album even more of an anti-joke.

Last edited by Hansa (May 10, 2023 8:00 am)