sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2022 4:40 pm  #1

Q107 #DeepDive on Toronto Mike'd

Hello SOWNY people,

For episode 1071 of my podcast, I put together a rather deep dive into the 45 year history of Q107, as told to me by Joanne Wilder, Maureen Holloway, Jeff Woods, Jesse Dylan, Gene Valaitis, John Gallagher, Craig Venn, Al Joynes, John Scholes, Andy Frost, Shirley McQueen, Brother Jake Edwards, Teri Hart, Lee Eckley, Dave Charles, Ted Woloshyn, Bob Segarini, Evelyn Macko, Mark Hebscher, John Donabie, Jacqui Delaney, TJ Connors, Liza Fromer, Bill King, Steve Anthony, Geets Romo, Brian Master, Colleen Rusholme and Kim Mitchell.

You might enjoy this.

https://www.torontomike.com/2022/06/q107-toronto-miked-podcast-episode-1071/

Last edited by torontomike (June 27, 2022 5:02 pm)

June 27, 2022 5:28 pm  #2

Re: Q107 #DeepDive on Toronto Mike'd

Remember when they raffled off their record library a few decades ago? What an imbecile thing to do.

June 27, 2022 5:56 pm  #3

Chrisphen wrote:

What an imbecile thing to do.

Why?

June 27, 2022 6:11 pm  #4

Looking forward to hearing this, and happy birthday Mike! 🍻🎈

June 27, 2022 8:40 pm  #5

Shocked that there are no Derringer or Blundell interviews ;)

June 27, 2022 8:44 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

Remember when they raffled off their record library a few decades ago? What an imbecile thing to do.

Unfortunately record libraries take up a lot of space and also need proper environmental controls if they are to be maintained properly and with digitization they're not really needed by most mainstream stations. Q isn't known for spinning old rarities but presumably they digitized anything rare.

BTW do stations maintain their own digital libraries these days or do they subscribe to a service?

Last edited by Hansa (June 27, 2022 8:46 pm)

June 27, 2022 10:18 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

Looking forward to hearing this, and happy birthday Mike! 🍻🎈

Thank you!!

June 29, 2022 2:08 am  #8

Hansa wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Unfortunately record libraries take up a lot of space and also need proper environmental controls if they are to be maintained properly and with digitization they're not really needed by most mainstream stations. Q isn't known for spinning old rarities but presumably they digitized anything rare.

BTW do stations maintain their own digital libraries these days or do they subscribe to a service?

Many stations buy a hard drive with the music pre-loaded from a service with storage being relatively cheap now.  There's a bigger demand for lossless audio and there are a couple of services that specialize in providing that.  I remember driving through Cobourg about 15 years ago and hearing low quality audio on one of the stations there that obviously came from a file sharing site or were dubbed from a steam.  It was the worst audio I have heard on a commercial radio station.  Hopefully no one is still doing that.

June 29, 2022 12:04 pm  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Many stations buy a hard drive with the music pre-loaded from a service with storage being relatively cheap now.  There's a bigger demand for lossless audio and there are a couple of services that specialize in providing that.  I remember driving through Cobourg about 15 years ago and hearing low quality audio on one of the stations there that obviously came from a file sharing site or were dubbed from a steam.  It was the worst audio I have heard on a commercial radio station.  Hopefully no one is still doing that.

CKDX 88.5 did that for a year or so - sounded like a 48kb stream on all music.  Now its good.