sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2022 1:34 am  #1

CBC Radio’s Mandate

I hope it’s okay to open a new thread not specifically about the CRTC decision but about the CBC’s mandate in general.
I have always thought that the job of the CBC should be to have something for everyone but not everything for everyone.
As a middle aged white guy they schedule shows I like for when I listen.
On the morning drive I have Metro Morning and the Current. On my lunch there’s Ontario Today. On the drive home it’s Here and Now, the World at Six and As It Happens.
On the weekend there’s Day 6, the House and Cross County Checkup.
If I need music or more news and talk there are places to get them on the radio in every city and town in Canada.
Now imagine you’re indigenous, or you’re gay, lesbian or trans in any community outside of Toronto. Where would you ever hear a radio show for you other than the CBC? 
I don’t think the CBC was ever designed for 9 to 5 listening for any one person. It’s a patchwork of individual shows for different segments of the population.
If a show you like isn’t on when you want it, listen on demand on their app or download their shows as podcasts.  You can time shift everything nowadays.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (June 23, 2022 1:51 am)

June 23, 2022 7:44 am  #2

Re: CBC Radio’s Mandate

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I hope it’s okay to open a new thread not specifically about the CRTC decision but about the CBC’s mandate in general.
I have always thought that the job of the CBC should be to have something for everyone but not everything for everyone.
On the morning drive I have Metro Morning and the Current. On my lunch there’s Ontario Today. On the drive home it’s Here and Now, the World at Six and As It Happens.
If I need music or more news and talk there are places to get them on the radio in every city and town in Canada.
Now imagine you’re indigenous, or you’re gay, lesbian or trans in any community outside of Toronto. Where would you ever hear a radio show for you other than the CBC?
I don’t think the CBC was ever designed for 9 to 5 listening for any one person. It’s a patchwork of individual shows for different segments of the population.
If a show you like isn’t on when you want it, listen on demand on their app or download their shows as podcasts. You can time shift everything nowadays.

You nailed it Tomas Barlow!!!

June 23, 2022 8:00 am  #3

zed wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

If a show you like isn’t on when you want it, listen on demand on their app or download their shows as podcasts. You can time shift everything nowadays.

You nailed it Tomas Barlow!!!

Agree 100%.  Well done Tomas!  The the varied programming that CBC Radio One has works very well for them and connects with listeners.  It is not the type of radio that you turn on anytime and expect the same programming.  Most people have their shows they enjoy and listen at that time or rely on the podcasts and as you say then listen when it suits them better.  Good job!

June 23, 2022 8:28 am  #4

Worth noting that this Saturday's "The House" is the last one for longtime host and National Affairs Editor Chris Hall. He's retiring from the CBC after it ends. He's been there since 1992.

June 25, 2022 10:35 pm  #5

Update: I missed it by 7 days. Turns out next week is Hall's final show as host of The House before he retires from broadcasting. I believe he took over the program after Evan Solomon was let go. Both seemed to have landed on their feet!

June 26, 2022 3:05 am  #6

The CBC has lost it's way. But - being fair, the problem is flowing downward from the top. There is a huge difference between film and TV/Radio.... 

Last edited by Marsden (June 26, 2022 3:09 am)

June 26, 2022 9:27 am  #7

If I had a time machine I'd travel back to when the Royal Canadian Air Farce and The Vinyl Cafe graced the airwaves, then go back a bit farther for Barbara Frum and the comfort of listening to Morningside (sic?)