sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2022 9:22 pm  #1

Toronto Mike vs Dean Blundell

June 16, 2022 2:37 am  #2

Re: Toronto Mike vs Dean Blundell

I wasn't. 

I want to laugh in the morning, not worship a jerk.  The whole Mike Richards, John Derringer, John Gallagher, Bob McCown "rich, lazy, inconvenienced, guy with an out of control ego" character is boring, not funny and been done to death.  At least those four seemed somewhat intelligent.

I don't know Toronto Mike, and I have never met Toronto Mike, so this is solely my opinion from what I can gather.  Dean and Fred apparently mixed him up with someone else years ago and have been hammering away at it ever since. Then for some reason a well-known former producer took shots at him on this board, having never met him, although I think a truce was called there. It's a strange amount of vitriol aimed at someone who seems to do pretty good interviews with media personalities and that's it.  I have never seen or heard him do anything offensive and I have listened to half dozen or so of his episodes over the years. 

It's time for Toronto Mike to get a lawyer.  Those two massive egos can't allow themselves to think they might have the wrong person, so a libel suit might be Mike's only recourse at this point.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (June 16, 2022 2:41 am)

June 16, 2022 8:12 am  #3

Blundell is an awful bully but Fearless Fred also has a lot of responsibility here since he's been falsely accusing Mike for several years now based, apparently, on attributing to him the actions of one or more other people and not bothering to check to verify after he was told he'd gotten the wrong guy. I don't know whether Fred was the target of anonymous attacks which he incorrectly assumed comments made in response to Mike's podcasts and posts were made by Mike himself and possibly comments he's seen elsewhere as well. Fred and Blundell should either provide proof of their claims or withdraw them - because I think if they're actually challenged to try to prove what they're saying they'll quickly realize they're mistaken. If I were Mike, I'd talk to a lawyer and sue Blundell and Fred for defamation in small claims court since going to superior court is prohibitively expensive and I doubt Blundell or Fred would have the money to pay enough damages to cover Mike's court costs in superior court. In small claims court (where you can sue for defamation, and claim up to $35k in damages) you can either represent yourself or, spend less on a lawyer than you would in superior court). 

Last edited by Hansa (June 16, 2022 8:46 am)

June 16, 2022 10:26 am  #4

Mike is really Streisanding this

June 16, 2022 3:58 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

What on earth does that mean?

June 16, 2022 4:08 pm  #6

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

What on earth does that mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect . Basically making people more aware of something by trying to nip it in the bud or curtail it.

That said, I enjoy TM's work and think "enough is enough" with these other guys and their repeated baseless bashing.

June 16, 2022 4:31 pm  #7

People always talk about the Streisand Effect when you stand up to bullies and refute their lies about you. A lot of the time it is easier to ignore trolls and unfair attacks but it's a bit much to expect someone to just ignore it for 11 years. 

June 16, 2022 4:40 pm  #8

Then stand up to him in person, not make an hour and a half podcast about it. TM is not a public figure.

June 16, 2022 5:24 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

Then stand up to him in person, not make an hour and a half podcast about it. TM is not a public figure.

Neither is Blundell, at this point.

June 16, 2022 5:48 pm  #10

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Precisely. 

June 16, 2022 9:03 pm  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Precisely. 

Bullard tried to "stand up to" a CITY camerman that was allegedly badmouthing him. That sort of testosterone-fuelled behaviour didn't help him much.

If Blundell is going on his podcast badmouthing people, he shouldn't be upset if his target responds on his own podcast. 

June 16, 2022 10:08 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

If it's okay with you RadioAaron, I'm going to stand up for myself and use my platform to call out the bully liars. You certainly don't need to listen.

I'm tired of this shit.

June 16, 2022 10:29 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

I don't care to quibble about the "public figure" handle, however Toronto Mike is a respected public presence with a large, vocal, devoted community on social media that form a solid Toronto Mic'd podcast audience, as well as loyal fans and intermittent listeners here on the big yellow board.

One trick ponies DB and FF will probably try to spin the episode for attention.

My money's on Toronto Mike. Bullies need not be tolerated.

Last edited by betaylored (June 16, 2022 10:42 pm)

June 17, 2022 12:16 am  #14

It's not entirely connected to the matter at hand, but I do enjoy how these morning show guys with massive egos dump on podcasters as wannabees and claim that terrestrial radio brings them legitimacy.  Then they get fired from terrestrial radio, start a podcast and say they would never go back even if they were asked.  If some giant merger happened and Corus had to sell off Edge 102 this summer and they were given the opportunity they'd be back in that chair at 5:30 am the day after Labor Day, and if any of them say otherwise they're full of it.

June 17, 2022 1:51 pm  #15

I can't think of anything worse than grown men who think they have a profile sniping at each other like teenager on social media.    I saw Mike Bullard who had piled on to Toronto Mike and they were back and forth.    Grown men doing this?   Come on.

June 18, 2022 9:45 am  #16

Wow .. Mike Bullard on James DiFiore's podcast .. that's one bitter, unhinged dude .. 
https://twitter.com/jamesdifiore/status/1537934378252152839

June 18, 2022 1:16 pm  #17

g121 wrote:

Wow .. Mike Bullard on James DiFiore's podcast .. that's one bitter, unhinged dude .. 
https://twitter.com/jamesdifiore/status/1537934378252152839

Raging against the ex he says he was wrongly accused of harassing is not a good look - and undermines his claims of innocence. As always, Bullard is his own worst enemy and utterly lacking in self-awareness.

June 18, 2022 2:01 pm  #18

Not surprisingly, the podcast appears to have been taken down - probably for Bullard's own good since it certainly did him no favours. 

June 18, 2022 2:22 pm  #19

Hansa wrote:

Not surprisingly, the podcast appears to have been taken down - probably for Bullard's own good since it certainly did him no favours. 

That direct link (via Twitter) now seems invalid indeed, but the episode can be streamed/downloaded here for anyone who wasn't able to check it already and was curious. Agreed it doesn't help Bullard's perception. If we assume he's a troubled man dealing with some sort of PTSD (as the host speculates at the end) then it could be seen as just those kind of ramblings/dealing-with-pain exercise.

June 18, 2022 4:43 pm  #20

Is Bullard still getting gigs? I find it hard to believe. 

Last edited by cash (June 18, 2022 11:44 pm)

June 18, 2022 10:05 pm  #21

I can't believe I have to say this publicly, but no, I never planned to invite Mike Bullard over with Cynthia Mulligan hiding in my basement so the police could arrest him for violating the orders of his parole. That's pure fiction and not something I'd ever do.

June 22, 2022 10:30 pm  #22