sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2022 3:19 pm  #1

Kingston Sportscaster Says Goodbye After 46 Years

Doug Jeffries isn't a household name in the GTA but he's been on Kingston airwaves - both radio and TV - for almost half a century. He'll say a final farewell to viewers on CKWS-TV Wednesday.

Tributes pour in as Global Kingston sportscaster Doug Jeffries retires after 46 years

June 15, 2022 8:10 pm  #2

Re: Kingston Sportscaster Says Goodbye After 46 Years

Slightly off-topic, but a lazy headline like "Tributes pour in..." should be banned from the language, along with thoughts and prayers.

June 15, 2022 9:31 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Doug Jeffries isn't a household name in the GTA but he's been on Kingston airwaves - both radio and TV - for almost half a century. He'll say a final farewell to viewers on CKWS-TV Wednesday.

Tributes pour in as Global Kingston sportscaster Doug Jeffries retires after 46 years

Does he still do the little wave at the end of the newscast?

I’ve seen his sportscasts a few times. He could get (rightfully) angry on-air when the Leafs were doing badly. I liked that passion.

June 15, 2022 11:04 pm  #4

Nice tribute for Mr. Jeffries and here's hoping he enjoys his retirement.  Sounds like he is well liked and respected in Kingston and deservedly so.  Nice that Global still refers to the station occasionally as CKWS. 

On another topic, strikes me as odd that Global Kingston has a local newscast at 6 and 11pm with local sports and weather, but a little over two hours away in Ottawa, the network has no local station or news in the nations capital region, a market of well over one million. 

All Ottawa gets is a repeater of Global Toronto. Not a good example of serving the public by the number two private network.  Global will always be an "also ran" for news until they get something happening in Ottawa.  Very lame.