sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2022 10:22 am  #1

Viewer Alert: PBS' American Masters Profiles Brian Wilson

The long running and award winning American Masters salutes a guy who truly IS an American Master - Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. In a special new two hour show called "Brian Wilson: Long Road Promised,"  a friend and Rolling Stone editor tries to get through the Beach Boys' founder's legendary nervousness about interviews by taking him on a road trip of his former haunts and hearing his recollections as they drive. 

Classic and never-before-seen footage is intercut during the journey, along with interviews from people like Elton John and Bruce Springsteen, to name a few. 

The show airs on WNED in Buffalo on Tuesday, June 14th at 9 PM and runs for 90 minutes. It will be rerolled at 12 AM on the 16th if you miss it the first time. 

If you have a VPN set to the U.S., you can see a preview here. If not, the page has more details on the upcoming special, which looks like it will produce some Good Vibrations for fans of the band and the artist. 

June 9, 2022 10:39 am  #2

Re: Viewer Alert: PBS' American Masters Profiles Brian Wilson

Also available on WTVS at the same time and KCTS at midnight.

June 9, 2022 10:53 am  #3

Another couple of upcoming music specials that might be of interest are airing next week if you have an OTA antenna. 

They're on LAFF, of all places, which is a subcarrier of WKBW-TV on channel 7.2.

The first is "The Jacksons: An American Dream," a five hour miniseries that originally aired on ABC in 1992. That's a lot of time to devote on your DVR, but it does look interesting. The entire thing airs in one fell swoop on June 12th from 12:30 PM-6 PM. Michael Jackson was still very much alive when this first aired. 

They're also showing a made-for-cable autobiography called "Little Richard," which is about the life of exactly who you'd think. It ran on NBC back in 2000. It debuts on LAFF on Friday, June 17th from 8-10 PM.

It's followed by another ex-cable bio called "Hendrix," about the all-too-short-life of the legendary guitarist that also originally aired in 2000. Apparently producers couldn't get the rights to his original songs, so they only feature covers of his classics, which will certainly take away some of the quality. It runs June 17th from 10PM-12 AM.

June 14, 2022 12:37 pm  #4

Just a reminder for anyone interested in DVR-ing this show that it airs tonight (Tuesday) on PBS, WNED-TV in this area of the world. Repeated at 12AM on Thursday if you miss it. 

June 15, 2022 8:12 am  #5

Always best to tape these shows on PBS.  On their Detroit station last night in addition to Brian Wilson, they also had a special called Travelin Man Behind the Scenes with Bob Seger.  The only issue is that it is pledge month and in both programs there were terribly long pledge breaks, and even commercials. 

These breaks can be 15 minutes long, so it is best to tape the program.  The Detroit station even has their pledge drives during the kids programming in the morning and afternoon.  Don't know if this is the norm for the other stations. 

Tonight PBS Detroit has a concert for George Harrison with Clapton, McCartney, Tom Petty and more.  Also a show called 60's Pop, Rock and Soul which they have shown before. I am assuming these will also run on WNED or at some point.

I still find it odd that PBS only shows programming like this during their money drives.  This is not their regular programming. I only watched a bit of the Brian Wilson program and caught the last 20 minutes of Bob Seger.  I think the Wilson profile was a repeat. Detroit PBS also runs a lot of lengthy health and self help infomercials when they have fund raising.   

June 15, 2022 8:45 am  #6

There were no pledge breaks on WNED and the show ran in its entirety uninterrupted. I thought it was a great profile, although it was also sad to see how seriously mentally tortured this musical genius was and to some extent, still is. 

June 16, 2022 9:35 am  #7

I also watched the Seger show on WTVS. I wisely recorded it to FF through the pledge breaks. There were some nice photos with Bob and Rosalie Trembley.