sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2022 5:18 pm  #1

Buffalo's WBUF-FM Tries Yet Another New Format

It's one of the most uncertain radio stations in Buffalo. And now it's changing again. WBUF-FM has had an endless number of formats from Classic Rock to Jack FM and more. And now the struggling outlet is onto yet new territory - something called "Buffalo's Real Rock."

What does that mean?

"Here’s a sample hour taken from Saturday at 2pm, according to Mediabase: Living Colour, “Cult Of Personality;” Nita Strauss f/ David Draiman, “Dead Inside;” Rage Against The Machine, “Testify;” AC/DC, “Thunderstruck;” Puddle Of Mudd, “Control;” Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Black Summer;” Candlebox, “Far Behind;” Jimmy Eat World, “The Middle;” Guns N’ Roses, “Civil War;” Lit, “My Own Worst Enemy.”

Townsquare’s WBUF Trades Classic Rock For Active Rock

How long before it switches again? Hard to say, but management usually gives a new format a few years to catch on. WBUF is all but unreceivable OTA in the GTA, although like many other Buffalo FMs, it used to come in here like a local. 

June 13, 2022 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Buffalo's WBUF-FM Tries Yet Another New Format

Since 1975, this will be format change #12. Their A/C format through most of the 1980's seemed to be the most successful.

June 13, 2022 5:38 pm  #3

If memory serves, didn't they try Howard Stern at one point? Possibly even while his semi-censored version was airing on Q107.

June 13, 2022 6:01 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

If memory serves, didn't they try Howard Stern at one point? Possibly even while his semi-censored version was airing on Q107.

They did and it was live. Q107 had an at least 20 minute delay to edit anything that might offend GTA listeners.

June 13, 2022 6:15 pm  #5

mace wrote:

Since 1975, this will be format change #12. Their A/C format through most of the 1980's seemed to be the most successful.

I declare you to be correct. It's my memory that is fuzzy.
What were the formats again before their life as Mix 92.9?
(I was also born in the 70's, so I am not aware of 92.9's formats back in the 70's)

WBUF went to Mix 92.9, then it was B93, then Smooth Jazz, then Alice @ 92.9. After that, Dancin' Oldies, then ROCK radio, then talk radio (with Howard Stern in the morning)  Then they became Jack FM (longest running format in a while) then back to rock (as Classic rock) and now Active Rock... (that's 11 alone right there!)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 13, 2022 9:58 pm  #6

With the proper antenna placement I can still get the signal. During tropo season I can sometimes get both BUF and the Grand by changing antenna position.

My favorite era for WBUF was when it was free form. I think that lasted from 1974 to 1978. When it went AOR lamentably.

One of my recordings from the golden era:

WBUF 1975

Also have some from the AOR days on a weekend they were playing 1960's music Second clip below:

WBUF 1978 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 14, 2022 7:18 am  #7

There was also WFXE Foxy 93 in 1980.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 14, 2022 7:28 am  #8

They were an AC billed simply as WBUF FM 93 from the end of 1981 through to 1991 when they unveiled the Mix monniker.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 14, 2022 9:24 am  #9

Jody Thornton wrote:

They were an AC billed simply as WBUF FM 93 from the end of 1981 through to 1991 when they unveiled the Mix monniker.

I think they became B93 shortly after changing their moniker to Mix 92.9, possibly to avoid confusion with CKFM, who had just recently rebranded themselves as The Mix 99.9 around the same time.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

June 14, 2022 9:27 am  #10

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

I think they became B93 shortly after changing their moniker to Mix 92.9, possibly to avoid confusion with CKFM, who had just recently rebranded themselves as The Mix 99.9 around the same time.

PJ

Nice thinking, but Jack & Jack were closer on the dial for the longest time!

June 14, 2022 9:40 am  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

PJ

Nice thinking, but Jack & Jack were closer on the dial for the longest time!

I believe that with the branding of Jack FM they had to pay a licensing fee to Sparknet Communications (the North American owner of the Jack brand, according to Wikipedia), so it might not have been the most economically feasible option to change monikers yet again. Whereas, I don't think there was any brand holder for the "Mix" moniker at the time, so they wouldn't have been stuck in any license holding agreement at the time if that was the case. B93 didn't appear to be different in format from Mix 92.9, so they may very well have changed it to avoid confusion with the Toronto Mix, or at least to stand out a little better.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

June 14, 2022 9:46 am  #12

Would a Buffalo station really care what the branding of a Toronto station is? Not sure I've ever heard of that happening down south. But anything's possible.

June 14, 2022 9:58 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Would a Buffalo station really care what the branding of a Toronto station is? Not sure I've ever heard of that happening down south. But anything's possible.

Maybe in the diary days, but I doubt it today.

June 14, 2022 10:07 am  #14

EDGE102.1 and EDGE103.3 perhaps?

June 14, 2022 10:14 am  #15

Several other call signs for the various formats WSJZ and WLCE

• 1995: WSJZ Smooth Jazz 92.9

• 1997: WLCE Alice@92.9 (Modern adult contemporary)

• This format began on April 3, 1997, and was intended to challenge what was then WMJQ (now WTSS) with an edgier, slightly alternative-leaning sound.[5] WTIC-FM morning show (Gary) Craig and Company was syndicated to WLCE, and later WBUF, for its morning show. The format lasted two years.

June 14, 2022 10:17 am  #16

What is it with this station's seemingly endless inability to land on a format that works? I can't recall a revolving door anywhere that matches the record of WBUF (or whatever call letters it has this week.)

June 14, 2022 10:23 am  #17

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Those were the diary days when Jack & Jack were side by side. 

June 14, 2022 10:24 am  #18

RadioActive wrote:

What is it with this station's seemingly endless inability to land on a format that works? I can't recall a revolving door anywhere that matches the record of WBUF (or whatever call letters it has this week.)

They managed to hold onto Jack FM for quite some time. 

June 14, 2022 10:31 am  #19

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Do the non-CN tower signals even make it into Buffalo?

June 14, 2022 10:40 am  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Probably not.
Funny how CIDC ended up changing their name to Z103. Was it Hits or Htz that a diary writer here on the Canadian side was listening to? I'm sure Htz listeners wrote 97.7, but still... 

It's still not intelligent to have the same name as a station that bleeds into the same market, even with PPM. 
Being extra sure (with a different radio name) is always best.

June 14, 2022 11:15 am  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

88.1 definitely not. Gospel translator there. 88.9-splatter from 88,7. 89.5-splatter from 89,3 WCOM. 91.9-splatter from 92.1WZDV. 93.5-squeezed out by 93.3 Cheektowaga and 93.7. 96.3-splatter from 96.1. 99.1- splatter from hip-hop translator on 98.9. Of the CN Tower stations, Q107 would be challenging caught between a 106.9 Grand Island Gospel translator and a 107.3 Buffalo Urban translator. This is not from my own personal band scan but from the Radio Locator Buffalo FM dial section.

June 14, 2022 2:37 pm  #22

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

If I remember correctly, B92.9 was the Dancing Oldies Format, so that would be different than the AC years.  I remember them sticking with AC until they became Smooth Jazz in 1994.  The last AC song they played was "Lucky One" by Amy Grant, going into the format change.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 14, 2022 3:07 pm  #23

Jody Thornton wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

If I remember correctly, B92.9 was the Dancing Oldies Format, so that would be different than the AC years.  I remember them sticking with AC until they became Smooth Jazz in 1994.  The last AC song they played was "Lucky One" by Amy Grant, going into the format change.

Here's the switch from B 93 to Smooth Jazz back in March of 1995:

June 14, 2022 3:08 pm  #24

Got this from Wikipedia. It should clarify this once and for all. But like the format changes, it's a loooong list!

From early 1991 to 2005, WBUF had a history of short-lived and rapidly changing formats (usually failed attempts to challenge other more dominant stations in the market or adopt fad formats popular in the radio industry for brief periods of time), with the station typically changing formats every two years:

• April 2, 1991-Early 1992: "Mix 92.9", "B93" (Adult contemporary)[3]
  • 1995: WSJZ Smooth Jazz 92.9

• 1997: WLCE Alice@92.9 (Modern adult contemporary)

• This format began on April 3, 1997, and was intended to challenge what was then WMJQ (now WTSS) with an edgier, slightly alternative-leaning sound.[5] WTIC-FM morning show (Gary) Craig and Company was syndicated to WLCE, and later WBUF, for its morning show. The format lasted two years.

• 1999: WBUF Rhythmic oldies "B92.9"

• Using the slogan "Buffalo's Dancin' Oldies", this disco-centric format began on June 23, 1999, at Noon, and was positioned to an older audience than Urban sister station WBLK and to directly challenge traditionally oldies-formatted WHTT (commercials advertising B92.9 mocked WHTT's music, using "Little Darlin'" by The Diamonds as an example, as music that put a person to sleep).[6] As with other rhythmic oldies stations of the era, the format was short-lived; it lasted two years. Its end was marked with a stunt, playing the song "We Will Rock You" by Queen repeatedly for one day.

• 2001: Buffalo's Rock Station (Active rock)

• This format was launched on at Noon on February 23, 2001.[7] The first song was "Abacab" by Genesis. "92.9 WBUF", as it was called, was intended to challenge WGRF and WEDG. WBUF brought the syndicated Howard Stern Show to Buffalo's morning drive. Later on, the station added Opie and Anthony. A combination of two events held by the duo led to their demise on WBUF. The first was "T'n'A with O&A," a raunchy party hosted by Opie and Anthony in western New York and sponsored by WBUF. However, before any disciplinary action for that incident was taken, the hosts were embroiled in the infamous "Sex for Sam" scandal in New York City, where two lovers had sex in St. Paul's Cathedral in New York City in exchange for Samuel Adams beer. It was the latter event that ultimately led to their first firing. As Gregg Hughes has said, "We were well on our way to being fired for the 'T'n'A with O&A' party, when we were canceled for 'Sex for Sam'." Instead of reverting the drive time back to rock, Opie & Anthony were replaced with the all-talk Don and Mike Show.

• 2004: FM Talk

• This format was a revival of WWKB's ill-fated "hot talk" format of the mid-1990s. The format was intended to challenge WGR and WBEN, as well as partially replace WNSA. With both drive blocks filled with hot talk hosts, the natural progression was to make WBUF a full-time talk outlet. With the region's best known hot talk host, J. R. Gach, working in Albany and unavailable, Brother Wease, from sister station WCMF in [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester,_New_York]Rochester[/url], was hired to fill the midday, while Tom Leykis and Loveline were given nighttime slots. The format ended after six months due to Wease developing nasal cancer and could not work both his Rochester and Buffalo shifts.

• 2005: Jack FM

• On May 16, 2005, the station flipped to an adult hits format, branded under the Jack FM name. Stern was the only host retained when CBS Radio, then the station's owner, dropped the talk format, as CBS burned off Stern's contract (their slogan even briefly being "Howard in the morning, playing what we want all day"). It was the first format in about 10 years not intended to directly compete with another station in the market. When Stern left terrestrial radio for Sirius Satellite Radio, he was not replaced on WBUF. Jack FM was, by far, the longest-running format in the station's recent history, lasting 15 years, longer than the previous six formats combined. Subsequent owners of WBUF, Regent Communications and Townsquare Media, continued to license the Jack FM format and did not share the same desire to flip the station's format every few years as previous owners CBS Radio and Infinity Broadcasting had done.
    • Similar to other Jack FM stations, WBUF had no live disc jockeys, carried no syndicated long-form or short-form programming, and carried no time-sensitive information (such as news, weather or sports), only interrupting its music for commercials, pre-recorded one-line jokes and station identification; this format was followed uniformly, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At first, 92.9 was one of the only Jack FM stations which didn't use Howard Cogan as the voice of Jack due to its proximity to Toronto's CJAQ-FM, which identified itself as 92.5 Jack-FM.
    • Using Cogan would have most likely caused confusion with listeners due to the fact the two stations are so close on the FM dial, 92.5 and 92.9. Until mid-April 2009, WBUF used voice talent Brad Davidorf, best known for his voice work on TBS. At that point, WBUF began using Howard Cogan as its imaging voice. Within two months of Cogan's employment on WBUF, CJAQ-FM dropped the Jack format and went back to the Top 40/CHR format known as "Kiss-FM" that Jack-FM replaced six years earlier.

• 2020: Buffalo's Real Rock (Mainstream rock/active rock)

• On November 25, 2020 at Noon, after briefly stunting with a loop of Christmas music (which ended with "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by John Cougar Mellencamp), the station flipped back to a mainstream rock format, branding once more as "92.9 WBUF, Everything That Rocks" and returning to the broad-based rock format the station had featured from 2001 to 2004. The first song under the rock format was "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)" by AC/DC.[8] The station added the nationally syndicated The Free Beer and Hot Wings Show a few months after launch.
    • From 2020 to 2022, WBUF's playlist leaned toward a classic rock presentation billed as "Everything that Rocks,", initially hoping to take advantage of on-air turmoil in the market's heritage classic rock station WGRF. When this was unsuccessful, on June 10, 2022 WBUF shifted its format from mainstream rock to active rock, branded as "92.9 WBUF, Buffalo's Real Rock". The station's airstaff (other than one daypart) and presentation did not otherwise change. There had been no major active rock station in Buffalo since WEDG shifted to alternative (itself prompted by previous alternative station WLKK, another station in Buffalo notorious for its frequent format changes, changed format to country music).

June 14, 2022 3:10 pm  #25

RadioActive wrote:

They’ve kept the same call letters but CHAY in Barrie must be close.
CHAY (Beautiful Music)
CHAY (AC)
Energy (CHR)
The New CHAY (AC)
FM 93 (AC)
CHAY Today@93.1 (Adult Hits)
CHAY Today@93.1 (Hot AC)
Fresh 93.1 (Hot AC)
Fresh Radio (CHR)
Did I miss any?  Someone told me they were called Play 93.1 but I don’t remember that.

June 14, 2022 3:22 pm  #26

Radiowiz wrote:

Jody Thornton wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

PJ

Here's the switch from B 93 to Smooth Jazz back in March of 1995:

I wonder then if I'm thinking of the switch from Mix to B.  I only say that because I was in Burlington and I remember Amy Grant going into the new format.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

June 14, 2022 9:33 pm  #27

mace wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

88.1 definitely not. Gospel translator there. 88.9-splatter from 88,7. 89.5-splatter from 89,3 WCOM. 91.9-splatter from 92.1WZDV. 93.5-squeezed out by 93.3 Cheektowaga and 93.7. 96.3-splatter from 96.1. 99.1- splatter from hip-hop translator on 98.9. Of the CN Tower stations, Q107 would be challenging caught between a 106.9 Grand Island Gospel translator and a 107.3 Buffalo Urban translator. This is not from my own personal band scan but from the Radio Locator Buffalo FM dial section.

I'm frequently in Buffalo. The bigger Toronto signals power past the low-power translators in most areas. Q107 is easily heard, as are CBLA and CIUT.

Some of the others you mentioned are not only lower powered but also directional away from the US, especially 91.9 and 93.5.

Get up by the lake in Niagara County and the dial changes. I can hear CIND's HD2 at Fort Niagara, for instance.

June 15, 2022 12:08 pm  #28

Ive dragged the toronto (CN Tower) signals almost towards Erie PA once on a road trip - this also is because of the lakes in aid.   Once you get south to the hills of Buffalo the signals get even better too. 

June 15, 2022 8:27 pm  #29

Up in the hills south of Rochester, you gain enough elevation fast enough that you get line of sight to Toronto again, and the bigger CN signals start coming in pretty clearly in most areas except where they're blocked by translators on this side of the lake. 

June 16, 2022 8:58 am  #30

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't been to Buffalo in at least 25 years. As I had mentioned earlier, it was a reception guesstimate based on Radio Locator. Good to know that the most of the Toronto FMers have reliable signals in Western NY.