sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 18, 2022 8:10 am  #121


Re: Something's up at Flow

 

February 18, 2022 9:39 pm  #122


Re: Something's up at Flow

=12px"Unless it's the best kept secret, there aren't any radio stations available on Rogers Ignite (and I've looked more than once). There are some music stations programmed by, inciden. tally, Stingray."

We have a grandfathered Rogers cable plan which does have some radio stations in the "900" section. It would probably not be what would be available in Toronto. A lot of the stations are Rogers including Jack from Vancouver, but many others, including all of our local stations. I have looked at other plans to reduce the cost, because Rogers is very pricey and going up this month, but the radio stations are not available. I don't use it a lot, but there have been times when I have used it. In the "700" section are the Stingray stations. The one I select most is Juke Box Oldies (50s and 60s music)

 

February 19, 2022 8:00 am  #123


Re: Something's up at Flow

I think Roger's plan is to keep jacking up the price of digital/legacy cable to the point where Ignite appears to be the better option. When I negotiated my new contract this month to keep what I have, I was able to whittle the price increase from $80/month to $30. And yes the radio stations are gone from Ignite. I don't think they will be returning.

 

February 23, 2022 3:58 pm  #124


Re: Something's up at Flow

The complaints about the new (and former) Flow keep on coming. 

"Many have been posting comments claiming they've experienced the same issue (poor sound), with some complaining that they've even completely lost signal when driving in certain parts of the city, on top of all of the other reasons they oppose the merger.

"Not to mention they fired everyone," one person aptly adds.

"Flow 93.5 music turned to trash since they switched stations," another chimes.

Listener Complaints About Format Shift Continue To "Flow"    

 

February 24, 2022 12:53 pm  #125


Re: Something's up at Flow

Saw also on the facebook post from Today 93.5 - about 350 comments all negative.  Most of which are former Flow 935 listeners and the signal of 98.7 being bad aswell.

Not off to a good start for eitheir station.   Complaints about 935 Today FM is also of which, repetitive boring format and nothing exciting, not to mention the comments of forgetting Black music etc. 

 

April 5, 2022 11:19 am  #126


Re: Something's up at Flow

RadioActive wrote:

"Many have been posting comments claiming they've experienced the same issue (poor sound), with some complaining that they've even completely lost signal when driving in certain parts of the city, on top of all of the other reasons they oppose the merger.

At the very least, Stingray should be a good Samaritan by making a deal allowing CKFG to broadcast on 93.5 HD2 as they just fired up their shiny new HD radio transmitter for themselves.  This should almost fully resolve reception issues but only for people with an HD radio in their vehicle.

Ironically if you look closely at the BlogTO link that was posted, the listener that posted an Instagram video of them tuning in both stations actually has an HD radio in their vehicle.  Her reception comparison of both stations is actually a bit unfair as she's comparing an HD Radio signal with a station that currently does not broadcast in HD radio.

Direct link to Instagram video below:

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v/t50.2886-16/274080743_512172400336919_2746240254823267215_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=4rLF2BdPkBoAX8RcMNi&edm=AJBgZrYBAAAA&ccb=7-4&oe=624EC6D3&oh=00_AT9KWn1gaJ4Frsw-3-mtwadFlytNADP7u9VHUsydMNfp3Q&_nc_sid=78c662

Last edited by PwrSurge (April 5, 2022 11:37 am)

 

April 6, 2022 4:54 pm  #127


Re: Something's up at Flow

Storm wrote:

We have a grandfathered Rogers cable plan which does have some radio stations in the "900" section. It would probably not be what would be available in Toronto. A lot of the stations are Rogers including Jack from Vancouver, but many others, including all of our local stations. I have looked at other plans to reduce the cost, because Rogers is very pricey and going up this month, but the radio stations are not available.

The best low cost provider that has the most radio stations is SkyChoice, over 50 from all across Canada included in their $35 or larger TV packages.  Their channel lineup can be viewed at https://www.skychoice.ca/chanlineup.cfm Stations are kept up to date, even the change of 93.5 from Flow to Today radio was already made.
 

 

April 6, 2022 5:14 pm  #128


Re: Something's up at Flow

PwrSurge wrote:

Storm wrote:

We have a grandfathered Rogers cable plan which does have some radio stations in the "900" section. It would probably not be what would be available in Toronto. A lot of the stations are Rogers including Jack from Vancouver, but many others, including all of our local stations. I have looked at other plans to reduce the cost, because Rogers is very pricey and going up this month, but the radio stations are not available.

The best low cost provider that has the most radio stations is SkyChoice, over 50 from all across Canada included in their $35 or larger TV packages.  Their channel lineup can be viewed at https://www.skychoice.ca/chanlineup.cfm Stations are kept up to date, even the change of 93.5 from Flow to Today radio was already made.
 

Rogers cable is still the best. It's a shame they can't offer radio on their new Ignite service. 
Also a shame Flow 98.7 has not been added to the Legacy cable box.


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

June 8, 2022 4:32 pm  #129


Re: Something's up at Flow

First full ratings period for "Today Radio." Brutal. 0.3. 

2nd to dead last.

Still waiting on the money demo numbers.

Kiss going HotAC proved to be a good move, though.

 

June 8, 2022 4:42 pm  #130


Re: Something's up at Flow

The numbers can be found in this post.

 

June 8, 2022 5:00 pm  #131


Re: Something's up at Flow

Sunny wrote:

First full ratings period for "Today Radio." Brutal. 0.3. 

I see point 4, but hardly anything to cheer about. Still very low. They should have gone Country.

 


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

June 8, 2022 5:01 pm  #132


Re: Something's up at Flow

Radiowiz wrote:

Sunny wrote:

First full ratings period for "Today Radio." Brutal. 0.3. 

I see point 4, but hardly anything to cheer about. Still very low. They should have gone Country.

 

At this point yes should have. 

 

June 8, 2022 5:31 pm  #133


Re: Something's up at Flow

I think this is an example of what happens when an audience gets abandoned and there's no one there to take their place. There is simply no compelling reason to tune into Today, and I'm willing to bet if you ask a hundred people on the street what it is, 99% of them will have never heard of it.

And the others may not much care. 

 

June 8, 2022 5:45 pm  #134


Re: Something's up at Flow

RadioActive wrote:

I think this is an example of what happens when an audience gets abandoned and there's no one there to take their place. There is simply no compelling reason to tune into Today, and I'm willing to bet if you ask a hundred people on the street what it is, 99% of them will have never heard of it.

And the others may not much care. 

There are businesses that never touched the radio dial. (for reasons unknown)
My best examples seem to be in the Spadina/Dundas area. Chinatown.
There are two clothing stores that had Flow 93.5 on and just left the radio on Today 93.5 FM when the format changed. (WHY? I honestly do not know)

I've spotted a business on St. Clair tuned into Today FM, but I honestly do not know if they previously listened to Flow. 

What I CAN NOT find is a barber shop or hairstylist with Today FM on.
Or a dental office or some place where there are patients/clients pretty much trapped around whatever the radio has on for a reasonable length of time. 
Sometimes something as little as that helps draw attention to a station. (or not! lol)

Eglinton west businesses have found their way over to Flow 98.7.  


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

June 8, 2022 7:11 pm  #135


Re: Something's up at Flow

So the real question is does Today have a tomorrow? 

 

June 8, 2022 7:18 pm  #136


Re: Something's up at Flow

RadioActive wrote:

So does Today have a tomorrow? 

It's going to be a really tough climb if they do. You're correct in your previous reply; there's simply no awareness.

The music mix itself is unique, but none of the music is. The two morning hosts never seem to be on at the same time, so something's afoot there.

You can't just duplicate what worked in Edmonton 12 years ago, not tell anyone, and expect success.

I've heard it in a few UBERs, but Flow seemed to have a 100 share there, so those are probably rusted-in dials.


 
 

June 8, 2022 8:33 pm  #137


Re: Something's up at Flow

Radiowiz wrote:

Sunny wrote:

First full ratings period for "Today Radio." Brutal. 0.3. 

I see point 4, but hardly anything to cheer about. Still very low. They should have gone Country.

 

Not sure where he is getting his 12+ numbers. Might be an earlier draft? I got mine from the Numeris site. They used to list 2+ but have now gone to 12+, in line with the diaries.

https://i.ibb.co/tK7CYb7/Inked0001-LI.jpg




 

 

June 8, 2022 10:12 pm  #138


Re: Something's up at Flow

Sunny wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Sunny wrote:

First full ratings period for "Today Radio." Brutal. 0.3. 

I see point 4, but hardly anything to cheer about. Still very low. They should have gone Country.

 

Not sure where he is getting his 12+ numbers. Might be an earlier draft? I got mine from the Numeris site. They used to list 2+ but have now gone to 12+, in line with the diaries.
 

Numeris site is 2:00-2:00, whereas Bray averages only 5:00-1:00. 

93.5 was a .4 5:00-1:00, and a .3 2:00-2:00 A12+ 
 

 

June 9, 2022 10:15 am  #139


Re: Something's up at Flow

I have to wonder if the decision makers did any market research OR listened to it?     

Musically it sounds way to Caucasian focused from  everything from the on air delivery, to music choices.    Toronto being so multicultural. it feels disconnected from the city.   They play country in the mix, which anyone who does market research would see is not what the city wants, no matter how many people on here say it.   With the Today Radio social format, they can break the walls and run things other stations don't, but it has to be within reason.  When I hear them go from a country track to some track from the Weeknd, I'm left wondering who their audience even is... clearly others are to.   Now Radio, Today Radio etc out west do well, because they are focused on more of a HOT AC mix, with some extra tracks from 90's to Today.    They gain by entertaining hosts, and social interaction that people care about that are focused on the audience and city they serve.    It's what's missing from Toronto's version of it.   I can only assume there is some big meetings happening at HQ on this station...   Personally I question decision makers because I really question if homework was done. 

 

June 9, 2022 10:56 am  #140


Re: Something's up at Flow

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

So does Today have a tomorrow? 

It's going to be a really tough climb if they do. You're correct in your previous reply; there's simply no awareness.

The music mix itself is unique, but none of the music is. The two morning hosts never seem to be on at the same time, so something's afoot there.

You can't just duplicate what worked in Edmonton 12 years ago, not tell anyone, and expect success.

I've heard it in a few UBERs, but Flow seemed to have a 100 share there, so those are probably rusted-in dials.

Virgin 999 is the king of UBERS and 92.5 I noticed. 

 

June 9, 2022 10:59 am  #141


Re: Something's up at Flow

We should remember that the format only changed two weeks before the rating period, so these numbers don't mean much.  They would have lost half of their audience they had with FLOW. 

I would have given FLOW some more time or if that was not in the cards opted for a New Country format. Canada's largest radio market should have a country outlet.  Country works great in Vancouver, a city that is just as diverse as Toronto. It would work here like it did for CISS in the early 90's.  Change of ownership, too many pop songs and cross overs ruined that station.  CISS was trying too much to cater to a non country audience that would never listen to them anyway.

Today radio with this format sorely needs some promotion, which doesn't seem to be happening.  If Stingray sticks with this plan it will be a while for the audience to find them if there is no promotion.  I am always doubtful when I hear of a station changing format and seemingly overnight they are number one or go magically from the bottom of the ratings into the top 5.  This never happens in Toronto.  

Personally, I don't really mind Today's format or music.  Some of the chats seem staged and the talk should move along  quicker, some topics are on a bit long.  The stations out west with a similar format have been doing this longer.  Some like NOW in Edmonton have live studio cameras so you see the announcer  when they are live.  Also they have a live feed of the texts coming in, so you can read some of the comments before they are on air.   NOW gets a lot of comments on line. 

 

June 9, 2022 6:38 pm  #142


Re: Something's up at Flow

paterson1 wrote:

We should remember that the format only changed two weeks before the rating period, so these numbers don't mean much.  They would have lost half of their audience they had with FLOW. 
 

They would have lost close to 100% of the FLOW audience; they're starting from scratch. Still, I've seen lots of format changes and station launches, but rarely such a slow start - and the ones that were never made it. It hasn't ticked up at all since launch.


 
 

June 9, 2022 7:34 pm  #143


Re: Something's up at Flow

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

We should remember that the format only changed two weeks before the rating period, so these numbers don't mean much.  They would have lost half of their audience they had with FLOW. 
 

They would have lost close to 100% of the FLOW audience; they're starting from scratch. Still, I've seen lots of format changes and station launches, but rarely such a slow start - and the ones that were never made it. It hasn't ticked up at all since launch.

Today Radio has a lousy website.  It looks cheap with no information or photos on their hosts and no info on the music they are playing.  Announcers should also be talking more about the stations music.  FLOW's site was much better looking with photos of on air staff and visually more interesting and professional.  Stingray has given this station zero promotion.  They aren't doing the basics, and this one reason why the needle isn't moving. 

Today Radio is trying to push engagement with the audience, but yet their static and boring website doesn't reflect this at all.  Stingray inherited a winning popular station with Boom and didn't need to do much if anything when they took over.  Their lack of experience in traditional radio is showing with a new format and station that needs some attention and promotion.   

 

June 10, 2022 12:05 am  #144


Re: Something's up at Flow

paterson1 wrote:

Today Radio has a lousy website.

Needs a better website? Okay,
To add strength to your point, if something is in another market, it's not stealing, it research. 
Rip off one of the other Today websites out there maybe, with just the right amount of difference so it's not cut and paste copy, but close. 

 

Last edited by Radiowiz (June 10, 2022 11:52 am)


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

June 10, 2022 2:12 pm  #145


Re: Something's up at Flow

paterson1 wrote:

I would have given FLOW some more time or if that was not in the cards opted for a New Country format.

There's actually a country music radio station at 95.9 FM in Toronto but is a repeater of CJKX-FM 95.9 "KX96" out of Ajax, Ontario with another at 89.9 FM in Sunderland. Not sure if another country music station or even classic country would work in Toronto.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CJKX-FM

============================================

We should remember that the format only changed two weeks before the rating period, so these numbers don't mean much.  They would have lost half of their audience they had with FLOW. I would have given FLOW some more time or if that was not in the cards opted for a New Country format. Canada's largest radio market should have a country outlet.  Country works great in Vancouver, a city that is just as diverse as Toronto. It would work here like it did for CISS in the early 90's.  Change of ownership, too many pop songs and cross overs ruined that station.  CISS was trying too much to cater to a non country audience that would never listen to them anyway.

Today radio with this format sorely needs some promotion, which doesn't seem to be happening.  If Stingray sticks with this plan it will be a while for the audience to find them if there is no promotion.  I am always doubtful when I hear of a station changing format and seemingly overnight they are number one or go magically from the bottom of the ratings into the top 5.  This never happens in Toronto.  

Personally, I don't really mind Today's format or music.  Some of the chats seem staged and the talk should move along  quicker, some topics are on a bit long.  The stations out west with a similar format have been doing this longer.  Some like NOW in Edmonton have live studio cameras so you see the announcer  when they are live.  Also they have a live feed of the texts coming in, so you can read some of the comments before they are on air.   NOW gets a lot of comments on line.
 

 

June 10, 2022 3:22 pm  #146


Re: Something's up at Flow

Scorpio42 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I would have given FLOW some more time or if that was not in the cards opted for a New Country format.

There's actually a country music radio station at 95.9 FM in Toronto 
 

KX 96 Is a terrible signal in Toronto and the ads are all for businesses in Oshawa and area. 
NONE for Toronto listeners.
There's room for a Country music station in Toronto. 
Variety Country would be good. Someone should clue into that and make the switch. 


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

June 13, 2022 6:06 am  #147


Re: Something's up at Flow

RadioAaron wrote:

 The two morning hosts never seem to be on at the same time, so something's afoot there.

While the website still reads "Paul & Nikki" for the morning show, the station no longer airs any credit for Nikki in the morning.
It's just "Paul Harper in the morning". Not sure what's going on there... 
 


RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

 
 

June 13, 2022 11:13 am  #148


Re: Something's up at Flow

I still believe that Country need a good Full coverage signal to work.  JR in Vancouver has 75,000 watts, I also believe Country can work in Toronto, it's basically CHR but I don't see anyone in the near future willing to give up a slot on the CN tower to do a format that hasn't succeeded so far.  The sticks on top of buildings just don't have the power/reach to get surrounding areas.  Pretending to be a Toronto station from Durham region or Hamilton just won't do it.  That has been shown before.

 

June 13, 2022 1:55 pm  #149


Re: Something's up at Flow

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

 The two morning hosts never seem to be on at the same time, so something's afoot there.

While the website still reads "Paul & Nikki" for the morning show, the station no longer airs any credit for Nikki in the morning.
It's just "Paul Harper in the morning". Not sure what's going on there... 
 

In the first week the afternoon show was the same way. It only had Vanessa while the cohost was on holiday. So the promos only ran for her. Apparently it was to avoid confusion. Even though the website showed the full show.
Personally the station isn’t bad. But it is not like the now radio format of Edmonton or Winnipeg. Or the today radio format in Calgary. Those 3 are operated by Pattison and there have been hosts on the stations for years. Crash and mars in Edmonton have been there about 10 or so years. Maybe a little less. Marika on the Winnipeg station was on edmontons for years. Rob and Joelle in Calgary came from Edmonton. So there is a lot of experience among the brand/format. Everyone at this station were all brand new to the conversation station. What I don’t like about this one as well is after 7pm it’s a repeat of the morning show and Katie and Ed just use some bits from there Calgary (amp radio) morning show. So a lot of it is not new bits and not related to Toronto. Even in Edmonton, Calgary or at Winnipeg there are times that hosts reference conversations from earlier in the day. Mostly because a lot of the hosts are in studio most of the day. Definitely a little less on weekends but it isn’t as bad as here. I think until they have overlap with conversations and have hosts in Toronto locally (Vanessa of the afternoon show is from Z95.3 Vancouver) and live later in the day, the ratings will not climb the way they think they will. There for sure needs to be a better lineup of hosts on air. Although Tyler Barr is great for the station he is basically the only reason I tune it currently. I think that stingray made a big mistake letting go of all the flow staff. At least the morning and afternoon shows would have been good for the station and then the rest of the day could have been filled out with the existing staff. Also having Phylis on weekends is a huge oversight. She is really good but I don’t listen much on weekends so I don’t get to hear enough of her

 

June 13, 2022 3:00 pm  #150


Re: Something's up at Flow

pinto wrote:

I still believe that Country need a good Full coverage signal to work.  JR in Vancouver has 75,000 watts, I also believe Country can work in Toronto, it's basically CHR but I don't see anyone in the near future willing to give up a slot on the CN tower to do a format that hasn't succeeded so far.  The sticks on top of buildings just don't have the power/reach to get surrounding areas.  Pretending to be a Toronto station from Durham region or Hamilton just won't do it.  That has been shown before.

Something Edge 102 should do.