sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2022 10:22 am  #1

Ontario Election Coverage On The Radio

Not sure how many here will be listening to the election coverage on the radio or watching it on TV - or if they'll simply ignore it, wait for a winner and be grateful this long month of endless promises and lies is over with. 

CFRB will have some consistency, with Mark Towhey - who's been hosting "Ontario Votes" for the past 28 days - going on air at 7 PM with special guests and "analysis." (Although exactly what they're analyzing since the polls don't close until 9 o'clock is anyone's guess.)

CityNews will have regular updates. 

CBC Radio 1 promises an Ontario-wide show, featuring Jill Dempsey and Rebecca Zandbergen. It starts at 9 PM, right after the polls close. 

And 640? John Oakley stays later than usual with a 6:30 PM show and then it's a simulcast of Global TV's audio, which does not always work well on the radio, especially when they put up all those graphics showing you the results - which, of course, you can't see on your speaker. 

One more election note. I heard Dave Bradley on AM 640 note that if you can't get to your local polling station, Uber is offering a flat fare of $5 to take you there. Sounds fine, except for one thing - you can call any of the candidate's offices and they'll send a volunteer to drive you there for free. Sounds like a better deal to me!

June 2, 2022 11:17 am  #2

Re: Ontario Election Coverage On The Radio

oh, i'll be watching .. i always watch the election returns.

& the lions share of viewing will be on CBC.

June 2, 2022 11:46 am  #3

I find CBC Toronto to be far below the quality of the national news. I’ll be watching CTV.

June 2, 2022 1:22 pm  #4

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I find CBC Toronto to be far below the quality of the national news. I’ll be watching CTV.

Same here.  When it comes to Ontario and Municipal elections,  the CTV teams are my primary choice;  while going to City as my alternate when a guest panelist isn't contributing much.

June 2, 2022 8:16 pm  #5

CTV News Channel started their election coverage at 7pm.  John Moore is one of their commentators along with Evan Solomon.  They had a nice aerial shot of CTV studios in Agincourt, not very often you see the whole building.  The parking lot is full so they have all hands on deck tonight. 

June 2, 2022 10:34 pm  #6

Doug wins easily. I thought the Liberals would do somewhat better. 

June 3, 2022 12:07 am  #7

We know who won at the ballot box. But who won on the TV dial? I tuned around, but in the end, mostly landed on CTV, and mainly because of Evan Solomon. Global was runner up, with David Aikin. City was third and CBC last. 

On the radio, my vote went to CFRB - but only because 640 had the Global simulcast and 1010 had Robert Turner on as a guest analyst. 

All in all, pretty technically smooth (of what I saw) and there were only a few glitches. 

June 3, 2022 7:53 am  #8

I bounced around from CTV, CBC. GLOBAL, CITY and CHCH. CHCH had an interesting discussion about how Union support has been divided. Public sector still with the NDP. Private sector with the Conservatives. I ended up sticking with CTV.

June 3, 2022 8:03 am  #9

I did a little digging on Ontario Election results that I thought members might enjoy. Ford actually improved from 2018. 83-39 up from 76-47. In the post World War II era, Ford's 83 seats is just ahead of Mike Harris's 1995 tally of 82 seats and just behind the 84 seats Leslie Frost had in 1955. As for the Liberals aka the Minivan party showing of 15 seats combined in the last two elections giving them back to back elections as non party status, it has happened in the past. In the 1951 and 1955 elections, the Liberals had 8 and 11 seats.

June 3, 2022 9:12 am  #10

CTV overall to me had the best coverage by a good margin.  They had over 20 reporters in key ridings across the province with live reports, that's impressive. The biggest disappointment was City tv, and Global.  Global's election set was ugly.  Didn't watch CBC's coverage much, but they had a great looking election set. 

CHCH did a good job in their new facilities, overall smooth what I saw and lots of reporters out in the field in the Hamilton area.  TVO's coverage with Steve Paikin was very solid as well with good panelists.

Amazing that CTV declared the PC's winning the election ten minutes into the broadcast.  They projected a majority government eight minutes after that. They declared the NDP as the official opposition at 9:22pm.

Four years ago I worked for Elections Ontario as a tabulator.  I recommend to any retired person to work in an election.  A real eye opener and mostly in a good way.  The system we have handling elections works very well. 

Steven del duca made an excellent and touching concession speech.  Andrea Horwath's speech was poor and I didn't hear her congratulate the opponents.  Doug Ford has never been a strong speaker, but last night his speech was positive, well written and delivered effectively.  

June 3, 2022 9:26 am  #11

Is Mark Towhey doing one last live broadcast on iHeart and CFRB from 7-11 PM Friday? There doesn't seem much point in having an "Ontario Votes" show now that Ontario has voted. The only thing they could do is more analysis - which basically would have been going on all day by that point. Still, it IS Friday and it would be a fitting way to wrap up the month of shows by letting him do one closing wrap-up segment. 

The alternative is the usual rerolls of John Moore, Bill Carroll, etc. The show is still listed on the station's website, but it also notes that Chatter That Matters will be on at noon - and there's a special Free-For-All Friday segment scheduled there instead. So with everyone exhausted and busy from the election, they may not have had the time to update the page. 

My guess? It's back to the reruns. But we'll know for sure later in the day. 

June 3, 2022 10:47 am  #12

mace wrote:

I bounced around from CTV, CBC. GLOBAL, CITY and CHCH. CHCH had an interesting discussion about how Union support has been divided. Public sector still with the NDP. Private sector with the Conservatives. I ended up sticking with CTV.

I watched both CTV News Channel and CBC News Network from the west coast.

CTV definitely had the better coverage. CBC’s coverage, at least when I was watching, seemed more focused on Toronto than CTV which had info from around Ontario. Though of course the election is largely decided in the GTA.

I noticed on Facebook that CTV London was doing something - there was a video of their rehearsal, and it looks like Jim Crichton was even part of it. Did they do an actual special or was this just something at 11?

June 3, 2022 10:58 am  #13

mace wrote:

TVO also had coverage. Did anybody watch?

June 3, 2022 11:59 am  #14

Only 19 minutes in and the CBC called it for the Conservatives. Is that a record?

June 3, 2022 12:26 pm  #15

Ian wrote:

Only 19 minutes in and the CBC called it for the Conservatives. Is that a record?

What took them so long?

I was watching CTV and noted that they declare a PC victory at 9:13 and declared it a majority at 9:25.

I do have to question why so many outlets started their coverage so early.  The polls are still open when meny started their coverage at 7:00.  All you're going to get is talking heads spewing speculation.  There really wasn't anything of substance until the polls closed at 9:00 and with the votes being counted electronically, those results came in quickly.

The one thing I did like about CTV is that in the upper right corner of the screen, they had a rotation graphic of each riding in alphabetical order with the riding's details.  It didn't take long for it to roll around to the riding(s) you were most interested in.

As for radio, I didn't listen mainly because the CTV graphics were so helpful.  I did flip around to CBC and CHCH and a bit of Global but CTV was my mainstay.

Last edited by Peter the K (June 3, 2022 12:26 pm)

June 3, 2022 1:19 pm  #16

I also wondered about the 7 PM start time. (On 640, it was at 6:30!) 

From doing it for many years, I can tell you that the 6 PM newscast on Election Day is essentially a rehearsal for the big coverage to come. It lets a station test that their remotes work, catch problems and essentially stop glitches before they appear on the special that will generally have a bigger audience. 

But it also means once you get by the single sentence blah-blah-blah about how the candidate is hopeful and they worked hard to get out the vote, there isn't much else to see or say. How many times can you interview a campaign worker about how excited they are?

So you wind up with a bunch of filler. And only occasionally is it entertaining. Does anyone else remember City TV's Peter Silverman sampling the food at a venue and issuing a judgment on how it tastes? No one does that kind of ad lib TV anymore. I wish they did!

In fact, City TV's Party Politics, in which they threw a bash with an actual piano player and let people mingle around, while anchors covered the results, was sadly missed on Thursday night. (Someone once told me that that the "musician" was a guy named Rob Brown, who I think worked at the station and was able to play the piano. Every election, he sat there tickling the ivories the entire night, as the coverage unfolded around him. Truly bizarre, but 30 years later, still very memorable.)

Plus, every staff member got specially made free T-shirts or sweat shirts, and over the years, I've managed to assemble a collection of many of them. (I doubt Rogers would spring for anything so frivolous now.)

They often had clever titles, but this one is probably my favourite, the re-election campaign of Premier Mike Harris. 

June 3, 2022 1:19 pm  #17

Hamiltonboy wrote:

mace wrote:

I did for about half an hour.  Steve Paikin was a solid anchor and they had some good panelists.  Like all of the other channels good graphics and some live feeds. 

June 3, 2022 3:07 pm  #18

Hamiltonboy wrote:

mace wrote:

I did not. It never occurred to  me that they would have election coverage.

June 3, 2022 3:37 pm  #19

mace wrote:

Hamiltonboy wrote:

mace wrote:

Same with me. I never even thought about them for election coverage. Although I do enjoy Steve Paikin's work.

June 3, 2022 6:19 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

mace wrote:

Hamiltonboy wrote:

Same with me. I never even thought about them for election coverage. Although I do enjoy Steve Paikin's work.

TVO has had Ontario election coverage for years.  Surprised people weren't aware of this.  I believe they cover federal elections too, but with a focus on Ontario. 

June 3, 2022 7:12 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

Is Mark Towhey doing one last live broadcast on iHeart and CFRB from 7-11 PM Friday? 

The answer is "yes." They're letting Towhey wrap up his "Ontario Votes" series with one last show on Friday. It's probably back to rerolls next week.

June 3, 2022 7:35 pm  #22

On today's french language noon tv newscast - Le Telejournal Midi - the coverage of the election began 18 minutes into the show and ended at 12:20. Some important meeting by some important people in Stockholm got precedence. CBLFT puports to serve francophones in Ontario.

June 3, 2022 11:36 pm  #23

June 4, 2022 8:17 pm  #24

I was working as a scrutineer at one of the polls. When I got out of there around 9:30 I tuned the radio to CBC to listen on the way home. By then the election had already been called for Ford.

After I got home, I watched it mostly on CBC but toggling back and forth between CBC and CTV London.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 6, 2022 11:22 am  #25

Interesting to note while CTV was the first to call a "PC Win" (as usual), Global was the first to call a PC Majority Government. Usually, Global is either middle of the pack or one of the last when it comes to calling government, so this was surprising to see. 

June 6, 2022 12:41 pm  #26

Can someone post the election coverage ratings? My guess CTV was first and CBC was last.