sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2022 9:50 pm  #1

Allan McFee

McFee was an eccentric and colouful personality at CBC Radio for years.

There seems to be no end to stories about him. He was  a stickler for time. It's said that he always wore two watches, just in case one failed.

There was once when someone set the studio clack ahead by five minutes and just about sent him into cardiac arrest.

Anyone else have a McFee story to share?

Last edited by turkeytop (May 30, 2022 9:55 pm)

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 31, 2022 11:14 am  #2

Re: Allan McFee

I remember that Allan used to do bizarre promos for his show Eclectic Circus.  This program was on CBC radio for a long time, and was like nothing else on radio.  Imaginary characters, obscure music, and a host that kept you entertained because you never knew what he would say or do next.  He loved to make fun of the CBC too.  I always thought he was a little like Jonathan Winters. 

I remember one promo when he was in a boat in a lake out west, fishing for Beluga whales. Naturally Belugas are not found in lakes, so he wouldn't be reeling many in.   Here fishy, fishy he would say...

May 31, 2022 11:23 am  #3

June 1, 2022 1:35 pm  #4

An acquaintancw who once worked at CBC told me about the time McFee was almost late for work because it was a cold morning and his car had been difficult to start. So, to teach the car a lesson, he drove it all the way into downtown Toronto in first gear.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

June 1, 2022 6:02 pm  #5

there's a story about McFee being so annoyed by one exec that he parked under an air vent that led to the exec's office and idled his car all day with the idea of slowly poisoning him with carbon monoxide.