sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2022 12:38 pm  #31

Re: "There is never a wrong time to do the right thing."

Maybo wrote:

rawkgurl wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

My favorite is the line from the Jurassic era that it's scientifically proven that women hear female voices differently than men do and women don't enjoy other women on air for that reason.  That's why you could never ever have an all female morning show.

IS THIS A JOKE COMMENT?

I believe it’s a reference to the opinion of a chowderheaded Neanderthal from years ago.

I can't speak for the poster, but my initial reaction, via the "Jurassic" reference, was that he believes this is the old dinosaur school of thinking and that he doesn't share it, but rather was referencing the way some men in corner offices still think. It wasn't my impression that he agrees with it. 

May 25, 2022 1:18 pm  #32

I apologize if my wording was unclear. Of course I  don’t agree with it. It is Neanderthal thinking but I have heard it more than once in my career from old men in the industry. They wouldn’t play too many female artists in a row and they claimed that women don’t like each other’s voices.
To me a good show is a good show.  You’d never expect to hear two men on a top 40 morning show but it works on Kiss. Two women worked well for years in Guelph or Kitchener.
Women shouldn’t be relegated to certain time slots or formats. Let the talent rise to the top.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (May 25, 2022 1:20 pm)

May 25, 2022 9:19 pm  #33

Let's not forget " microphones weren't made for womens voices! " which was used as a solid reason for keeping women off the air.

May 26, 2022 6:56 am  #34

I just read that Jennifer brought this to management’s attention a few years ago and also filed a complaint with the Canadian Human Rights Commission at the same time. So how is it that Derringer was on the air for two years while this was going on? He should have been suspending there and then. Poor form Corus.

May 27, 2022 12:07 pm  #35

Sidebar: pun intended.

With all the conversation about John Derringer and workplace environment, this article about a female Toronto employment lawyer suing her female boss at the law firm where she formerly worked (for an alleged toxic work environment) isn't exactly ironic but it does prove that bad behaviour isn't about male or female, but power misused and abused (allegedly).

Can't help but hope one of the Toronto Star or CBC investigative reporters does a feature on this.

https://www.lawtimesnews.com/news/general/lawyer-sues-ex-employer-milburn-associates-for-allegedly-cultivating-a-toxic-work-environment/366911

Last edited by betaylored (May 27, 2022 12:09 pm)

May 27, 2022 1:02 pm  #36

Certainly there are toxic female bosses as well as toxic male bosses and Maureen Holloway made a point of saying Derringer bullied men as well. I wouldn't be suprised if his male co-hosts also had tales to tell about his treatment of them. No one has accused Ryan Parker or John Garbutt of bullying - just of not saying anything when it was happening. Were they quiet because they didn't think anything was wrong, because they were scared of losing their jobs, or because they'd been cowed into submission by being bullied themselves? I don't know. I don't think they should be the fall guys for management's decision over the years to back Derringer. (If they are complicit, they should take the consequences, but I don't think they should just be collateral damage.)

May 27, 2022 2:27 pm  #37

Did the PD or GM know what was going on or was it taken to HR and kept in a closet there?  Just asking.  I know nobody can answer that right now and speculation won't help.

May 27, 2022 3:03 pm  #38

I don't know about the PD or GM (I assume they knew) but according to Valentyne's video she ended up talking to the CEO about it. 

Last edited by Hansa (May 27, 2022 3:03 pm)