sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2021 5:09 pm  #1

Some Familiar Names Make Up New AM740 All Female Morning Team

The names are familiar, with two veterans stepping into the breach - Jane Brown, a former CFRB & Zoomer newscaster and Samantha Houston, once a CHUM morning person. They're being billed as "The Sisters Of Sunrise" on "The Morning Zoom." They replace Neil Hedley, who was let go a few weeks ago.

"The Sisters Of Sunrise" 

March 1, 2021 8:54 pm  #2

Re: Some Familiar Names Make Up New AM740 All Female Morning Team

March 1, 2021 9:04 pm  #3

Interesting that Zoomer has been touting this as an "all-new morning show" all last week, when in fact it's just two-thirds of the old morning show. The reaction on their Facebook page has been mixed, to say the least. (There doesn't appear to be any official announcement on their Twitter page). Many listeners are wishing the ladies well on their new endeavor, but the common refrain seems to be "Where's Neil?" I myself am sorry to see Neil go, as I always enjoyed the banter between him and Sam, which never sounded forced and genuinely sounded like they were having a good time.

They've been promoting this as "Toronto's first all-female morning show", which leads me to wonder: what are they going to do when one of them goes on holidays? Sam has shown that she can carry the morning show quite well on her own when Neil was on holidays. But what about when Sam is on holidays? Are they going to have Jane spin tunes and then segue into her own newscast? Not that she isn't capable of doing that, but it does sound a trifle odd to have the same person announcing music and then doing the news. (Not to mention, it'd be quite challenging to prepare a newscast in between announce breaks). Will they get one of the other female hosts like Eva D or Libby to fill in? Or will they break with the all-female tradition and get Robbie Lane to fill in like he did last week?

Whatever the case, best of luck to these two talented ladies on their new morning show.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

March 1, 2021 9:13 pm  #4

I have not been paying attention to Jewel FM's numbers in Ottawa. 
They've been maintaining an all woman morning show for years now. 
Coincidence or not, AM 740 now seems to be doing the same thing...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 1, 2021 9:32 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

I have not been paying attention to Jewel FM's numbers in Ottawa. 
They've been maintaining an all woman morning show for years now. 

Near zero. And it's just one female (solo) now. But I don't blame their numbers on that.

May 14, 2022 11:09 am  #6

Is AM 740's Neil Hedley still in the wireless communication industry?   lf so, where & when?   He seemed knowledgeable about current events & about not-so-current music.   The on-air chicks currently on the morning show are OK, but my sense is that the playlist has shrunk 

May 14, 2022 12:57 pm  #7

Ms. C. wrote:

but my sense is that the playlist has shrunk 

Yeah, AM 740 is GARBAGE now. What's a guy gotta do to hear some Palisades Park without having to go to Youtube?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 14, 2022 1:57 pm  #8

The day that we don't have to talk about this as an all female morning show, will be a good day. 

May 14, 2022 3:45 pm  #9

Dani Elwell wrote:

The day that we don't have to talk about this as an all female morning show, will be a good day. 

Yes, and we're moving closer to that day even if sometimes it doesn't feel like it.

The opportunities denied to women in radio simply because they're women could fill a book.

Last edited by betaylored (May 14, 2022 3:50 pm)

May 14, 2022 7:22 pm  #10

Charlie wrote:

Radio for geezers, trying not to look like radio for geezers anymore.  740 is just morphing into 1010.  Then what?

If it was morphing into 1010 the hosts would be guys.

May 15, 2022 11:10 am  #11

Dani Elwell wrote:

Right.     Now, were did Neil Hedley land?

May 15, 2022 8:52 pm  #12

Ms. C. wrote:

Dani Elwell wrote:

Right.     Now, were did Neil Hedley land?

Self employed. Business address is a P.O. Box

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-voice-in-my-hed-knopp-studios-h0Ap93jcoqs/

May 15, 2022 11:01 pm  #13

Charlie wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Radio for geezers, trying not to look like radio for geezers anymore.  740 is just morphing into 1010.  Then what?

If it was morphing into 1010 the hosts would be guys.

"The all-new 740!  Radio for Gurls!"
What could go wrong?

Considering the number of radio stations catering to guys and the number catering to women they could do quite well. Certainly couldn't do worse than CFRB and 640 dividing up the old angry white guy demo. 

May 17, 2022 11:20 pm  #14

Radiowiz wrote:

Ms. C. wrote:

but my sense is that the playlist has shrunk 

Yeah, AM 740 is GARBAGE now. What's a guy gotta do to hear some Palisades Park without having to go to Youtube?

or you can listen to a certain online oldies show on wed, afternoons where freddie boom boom cannon lives!!!  btw, geo must be doing ok in argentina... he keeps sending me crossover requests via a third party. this week it's ned miller.