sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2022 5:42 pm  #1

Survey: Radio Personalities Drive Radio Listenership More Than Music

Not sure I entirely buy the conclusions from this new survey, but if it is true, it's a nice change. I've always said I listen to the radio more for the person on air than the music a station features. My logic: anyone can play the exact same song on a playlist.

But only one station can have a live jock with a skewed sense of humour or a quirky personality. That's unique to an AM or FM outlet and helps me choose which one I listen to on any given day. But I admit to not exactly being a "normal" listener.

Anyway, you can read the results for yourself and conclude as you will.

Radio Personalities Drive Radio Listenership More Than Music

May 13, 2022 10:20 am  #2

Re: Survey: Radio Personalities Drive Radio Listenership More Than Music

When I was young and started listening to top 40 radio, it was the DJ's I tuned in to hear. Cousin Brucie, Larry Lujack, Chuck Buell, Tom Fulton, Chuck McCoy, Johnny Mitchell and Dave Charles were some of my favourites.

May 13, 2022 11:36 am  #3

mace wrote:

When I was young and started listening to top 40 radio, it was the DJ's I tuned in to hear. Cousin Brucie, Larry Lujack, Chuck Buell, Tom Fulton, Chuck McCoy, Johnny Mitchell and Dave Charles were some of my favourites.

When I was young and started listening to top 40 it was the DJ's I tuned in to hear.
Tom Rivers, Jesse and Gene, Cog on the Hog, Eric Hollow, Norm Murray, Pat Cockarine...just to name a few.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 13, 2022 11:51 am  #4

Yep, me too. In addition to the CHUM jocks (before the switch to Drake) that was one of the reasons I was such a loyal listener. After the change around 1969, I switched to CKFH, which had great personalities like Steve O'Brien, John Donabie, Keith Hampshire and more. 

By 1972, it was CFTR, where guys like Doc Holliday (aka Gil Harris), Steve Young and R.O. Horning Jr. were local heroes. 

But it wasn't just local for me. I would rush home to hear the great Lorne Owens, doing afternoon drive on WEBR Buffalo, before he left for a far more lucrative and long lasting gig in Boston. Man, he was funny. 

Then there was the late, great Oogie Pringle on WNBC at night. What a bizarre show that was. He once did an entire Halloween night show as Oogie's "ghoulfriend," doing all the intros and bits in a Dracula-like voice. But it's when he did the live spots that way that he really made me laugh.

Not so funny now, considering what's going on in Ukraine, but he did a "Radio Moscow" on The Great 66, throwing to a Russian traffic report, which was that there was a huge back-up on the major road into the city, because the yak died. 

And finally, a guy I've since come to be friends with and even got to meet in person when he came to visit Toronto a few years ago. The Real Bob James ruled the nighttime airwaves out of WGAR in Cleveland. This man used up more hilarious material in a single night than anyone I can remember beside Dr. Don Rose from KFRC.

He wrote most of his own stuff and his show featured great drop-ins and one liners, ("I love children, but I can't bear them," is one I remember. Another was at the time Jaws came out. "I have a feeling this woman shown in the movie "Jaws" had a real dandruff problem. She left her head and shoulders on the beach.") Corny? Yes. but hysterical when you heard him do it and hit the post perfectly every time.

He even did jokes in the middle of live spots, although I'm not sure how the sponsors felt about that. 

He also did one thing no one else ever dared do - he found an obscure jingle at the end of a package from PAMS that no one ever thought of using. So, he told a really awful joke and then played it. I won't ruin it, but you can hear that jingle here.