sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2022 10:32 am  #1

A New Record Number?

Hey RA, just noticed that there are 1,200 registered users for SOWNY.  This is a new high number for registered users?

May 12, 2022 11:00 am  #2

Re: A New Record Number?

They come and go, but as far as I know, yes, that is an all time high. But it's also a mite deceiving. Some register and then never post anything. Do they come back to just look? Who knows? 

I do thank all the people who take the time and trouble to read or post, though. This place would be nothing without them. And I can't take much of the credit. The numbers were already high when Iain Grant restarted the place after - was it Phil? - took the last incarnation of SOWNY down and Iain started it all over again. 

It's grown over the years (and with some of my ridiculous pun input, also groan over the years) but the posters make it work. So kudos to all of you. I may get the name "Moderator." But all the guys and gals who gather here are the real strength of SOWNY.  

May 12, 2022 5:00 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

They come and go, but as far as I know, yes, that is an all time high. But it's also a mite deceiving. Some register and then never post anything. Do they come back to just look? Who knows? 

I do thank all the people who take the time and trouble to read or post, though. This place would be nothing without them. And I can't take much of the credit. The numbers were already high when Iain Grant restarted the place after - was it Phil? - took the last incarnation of SOWNY down and Iain started it all over again. 

It's grown over the years (and with some of my ridiculous pun input, also groan over the years) but the posters make it work. So kudos to all of you. I may get the name "Moderator." But all the guys and gals who gather here are the real strength of SOWNY.  

Never underestimate the "Power of the Pun".

May 12, 2022 7:38 pm  #4

I remember adding a counter to the site during the Craig Smith years. I thought there was something wrong with it - I installed the counter and within seconds there were 30 or so visitors. But no, it was correct - that was the popularity of SOWNY back then. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even more popular now. To think, I almost closed in late 2000 due to lack of interest, just before it exploded in popularity. Who knew?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 13, 2022 10:04 am  #5

It would be interesting to see a list of the top 10 contributors over the last several years.

May 13, 2022 11:13 am  #6

Here's the top list from the beginning of the time Iain Grant brought SOWNY back to life on May 28, 2015. The numbers are the posts each has put up on SOWNY over the years until May 13, 2022. All are valued contributors, although not all joined at the same time. 

If nothing else, it proves that some of you guys have way too much time on your hands! And I'm grateful you do!

Radiowiz: 3,436

paterson1: 2,361

Iain Grant: 2,043

betaylored: 1,436

mace:1,433

Dale Patterson: 1,290

RadioAaron: 1,284

Fitz: 1,146

Muffaraw Joe: 1,015

Chrisphen: 990

Charlie: 918

cash: 879

Media Observer: 844

markow202: 832

May 13, 2022 1:51 pm  #7

I think I better learn to shut the hell up!!  And to make my gassy long postings shorter...

May 13, 2022 4:19 pm  #8

oof, I've been on here since the days of Craig running things, so it's a lot of years, but still, that's a lot of posts...🤨 it's like reading how many tweets you've done.

but seriously, I enjoy the community here on the big yellow board and reading everyone's thoughts, opinions and experiences, sometimes it gets a tad off the wall but never dull. And the puns are just an added funnybonus.

Merci RA

May 13, 2022 5:20 pm  #9

Dale Patterson wrote:

...To think, I almost closed in late 2000 due to lack of interest, just before it exploded in popularity. Who knew?

A little drama always helps. ;-)