sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2022 11:14 am  #1

All Major Local Stations To Show Ont. Election Debate

It's been a while since this many networks opted to cover the same thing at the same time - the upcoming debate between the major party leaders for the June 2nd Ontario election. Among the major broadcasters taking the feed live on May 16th - a Monday - CTV, CBC, Global, City TV, TVO and CHCH. 

Other than live election night coverage, you don't often see the same show on almost every channel, especially for a provincial yakfest. 

It will take place at TVO studios, with Steve Paikin and the Toronto Star's Althia Raj as the moderators. 

But it's not as big a sacrifice as it seems - the debate runs from 6:30 -8 PM, meaning all of primetime (and the simulcasts on just about every station) will remain intact. (Hmm, I wonder if Yes TV's broadcasts of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! will experience a ratings uptick that night?)

Haven't seen anything about whether any radio stations plan to take this live, although it would certainly make sense for CFRB's "Ontario Votes" to go with it. 

Ontario Leaders Debate to Be Televised Across the Province

May 12, 2022 1:03 pm  #2

Re: All Major Local Stations To Show Ont. Election Debate

This is the best time for the provincial debate anyway.  6:30 already has big numbers with the local newscasts and starting the debate at that time makes sense. It will give the show more exposure  and more people are likely to watch at least some of the debate since they are already tuned in.  

May 13, 2022 7:21 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

It's been a while

It happens every election, doesn't it? 

The more interesting story is Ford refusing to sit for an interview with TVO's Steve Paikin (as well as being the only leader who is inisiting on taking cheat notes into the debate). and his peek-a-boo campaign, generally. I suspect he would have avoided the debate entirely, if he could have - if it wasn't for the fact that avoiding debates helped kill Frank Miller's campaign in 1985 and didn't do Harper any favours in his last election. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-election-doug-ford-media-strategy-1.6450785

Last edited by Hansa (May 13, 2022 7:24 am)

May 13, 2022 7:53 am  #4

I can't recall so many stations covering a debate. Especially City TV, which was always a bit of an outlier when it came to provincial debates. So was CHCH.

In the past, there was almost always a station that opted out, if only because it was on everywhere else. But not this time. Every major GTA station will be showing the same thing at the same time. I think that's unusual.