sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 19, 2022 4:19 pm  #1

The Weird Thing About A Toronto Resident's On-Going Jeopardy! Win

Mattea Roach is getting a lot of attention after winning 10 straight games of Jeopardy! and amassing over $200K U.S. so far. 

But what's really interesting to me is how much coverage this story is getting on stations here that do not carry the show. The game show airs on YesTV in Canada, but I've seen constant updates on the Toronto resident's progress on CTV, Global, CBC and City TV. 

In other words, they're really promoting a show that airs on the competition! It's an odd set of circumstances, and I can't quite recall anything similar where a TV program they don't own gets as much publicity as this one does on those programming against it.

It's a great story, yes, but I can't imagine CFTO mentioning or doing a segment on who wins City's "Canada's Got Talent" when that series wraps up and declares a winner. 

Canadian Mattea Roach tops $200,000 mark in 'Jeopardy' winnings 

April 19, 2022 7:31 pm  #2

Re: The Weird Thing About A Toronto Resident's On-Going Jeopardy! Win

Jeopardy! Is also seen on Newfoundland and Labrador's NTV at 6:30 PM ET on channel 1008 Bell Satellite.

Yes, she's hanging in there strong tonight with her 11th day total! I wonder if she's one of the first Jeopardy! contestants from Canada to surpass the 5 or 10 day total that was never seen before in the show's history? I bet Alex Trebek would have been proud if he was still alive today! RIP Alex, we all miss you!

April 19, 2022 7:49 pm  #3

Because Jeopardy is on a whole other level compared to Canada's Got Talent. Millions of people actually watch Jeopardy. It's similar to how TSN talks about the Jays way more than Sportsnet talks about the CFL. 

April 19, 2022 8:40 pm  #4

torontostan wrote:

Because Jeopardy is on a whole other level compared to Canada's Got Talent. Millions of people actually watch Jeopardy. It's similar to how TSN talks about the Jays way more than Sportsnet talks about the CFL. 

That's true, and Jeopardy is a daily program and been on the air for decades. Many consider Jeopardy to be the most successful TV game show in history.  Canada's Got Talent the second edition is only 4 shows, so they aren't comparable.  However, it could be that ETalk on CTV or Global's ET Canada would mention who won the contest.  Both of these shows regularly feature stories and reports from other networks and shows that they don't have on their schedule.  

If you are going to be a true and credible entertainment news program, you can't ignore programming on the other networks and only promote shows on your network.   ET Canada regularly talks about shows on CTV and CBC especially domestic programming and same with ETalk featuring CBC or Global programming.   Both have also covered stories on Hudson and Rex which is a City tv production. 

When CHUM's MMVA's took over Queen Street  every year with the live broadcast, both Global and CFTO, even CBC Toronto dedicated news reports on the event.  And of course both of the entertainment shows featured the results and interviews with the artists the next day. The event was so big the other Toronto stations wouldn't be doing their job if it wasn't covered. 

The days of ignoring the competition at all costs are long gone.  

Last edited by paterson1 (April 19, 2022 9:01 pm)

April 20, 2022 10:01 am  #5

Here's something I've always wondered about - and it's not quite as bad as the chicken or the egg controversy. 

Which comes first on air - Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy? In Buffalo (and by extension in Toronto, where simulcasts are everything) it's always been Wheel airing first, followed by the Answers and Questions game. But I've noticed over the years it's reversed in certain markets and I've never quite been able to figure out why. 

Turns out, I wasn't the only one thinking about this arcane idiocy. It's a real thing and it actually sparked an online article on the subject. Here's the answer - sort of. 

Which Airs First, ‘Jeopardy!’ or ‘Wheel of Fortune’? It Depends on Where You Live

April 20, 2022 1:03 pm  #6

This information is from 2014, but I suspect it is still valid because local affilliates probably want to keep this ratings dynamic duo locked up under contract as long as possible. The breakdown of which network affilliate carries them is CBS-70, NBC-63, ABC-61. In NYC, Chi, L.A. and Phil ABC stations run both. 8 FOX stations carry Jeopardy, 10 run Wheel. There are 23 markets where both shows air on opposite stations. Dallas is one of them. Jeopardy runs on Independent KTXA, while Wheel airs on CBS's KTVT, in different time slots.

April 20, 2022 3:12 pm  #7

Most places in Canada that get Wheel and Jeopardy from nearby US stations get Wheel at 7:00 and Jeopardy at 7:30 - however there is one exception, and that’s WWNY Watertown (carried on cable in Kingston and much of Eastern Ontario outside Ottawa), where Jeopardy is at 7:00 and Wheel at 7:30. If I’m not mistaken, WPTZ Plattsburgh (carried on cable in Montreal) follows that schedule as well.

There was a time in Southern Ontario when Wheel and Jeopardy did not air on the same channel. For a time in the late 80s and early 90s, Jeopardy was carried on CFMT while Wheel was on Global.

There’s also parts of the US where Jeopardy airs much earlier in the day. Notably, in Chicago, WLS airs it at 3:30pm. This also happened briefly in Southwestern Ontario, when CFPL/CKNX aired it at 5:30pm for one season during the 90s.

Another bit of Jeopardy trivia - the Trebek version was not available whatsoever in his hometown of Sudbury for its first six seasons. No local station carried it, and they received a weird mix of Buffalo and Rochester affiliates on cable that meant no US station on cable carried it either - back then Jeopardy was on WKBW Buffalo, but Sudbury got WOKR for its ABC affiliate instead, and the station airing it in Rochester wasn’t carried in Sudbury. It was only in 1990 when Baton bought MCTV and they added the show to the lineup.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 20, 2022 3:14 pm)

April 20, 2022 5:54 pm  #8

Most of the New York state markets air Jeopardy at 7:30pm. WABC is one of the few that runs it at 7.

April 20, 2022 6:46 pm  #9

It always made sense to me to air Wheel before Jeopardy, as Wheel was much easier and it made a good warm-up for Jeopardy.

April 27, 2022 8:42 pm  #10

Talk about a strange confluence of events. Evan Solomon was interviewing Canadian Jeopardy! champ Mattea Roach on his radio show Wednesday, just hours before the episode where she won her 17th game in a row aired. 

But as he talked to her, he suddenly realized the two had met before. A long time ago, Solomon hosted a TV spelling bee that featured a very young Roach as one of the contestants. She lost badly and early, a fact she's certainly made up for all these years later. Solomon claimed he remembered her and that he wishes she'd done better. 

It was a strange moment for the Toronto tutor, but it does show one thing - she'd better hope spelling doesn't turn up as a Jeopardy! category in the coming days - however long she stays on. For whatever it's worth, it also means she'd had "game show" experience long before getting on the quiz program.  

May 6, 2022 8:04 pm  #11

[SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you DVR'd but didn't watch Friday's Jeopardy!]

And now, the end is near, and she faced that final curtain. Toronto resident Mattea Roach lost her final game after 23 straight wins. She missed winning by just $1, and there's an irony to her loss.

The final question centered on two Georgia natives. The woman who beat her came from Georgia and it's unlikely a Canadian would know the answer. But Roach won many of her games because of her knowledge of Canada - so it seems almost fitting it would end that way. 

Total winnings: $560,983 U.S. And she'll be back for a future Tournament of Champions. 

Roach's Jeopardy streak ends at 23

May 7, 2022 12:39 am  #12

We spend our winters in a Resident owned mobile home park in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Many of our residents are cancelling cable and going to OTA. Somehow. I've acquired the status for being the go to guy for installing and setting up antennas.

We get about 65 OTA channels there, but none of them care about that. There is only one channel they want. The one that caries Wheel of Fortune. If the direction you have to aim the antenna gets only three other channels, that's OK, as long as they get channel 10 with wheel of Fortune.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

May 7, 2022 7:02 am  #13

She won one game by a dollar and lost one by a dollar. All streaks eventually come to an end. It was fun while it lasted.