sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2022 10:28 am  #2

Re: Farewell Adrian Ghobrial

I happen to know Adrian and he even helped me along during part of my career. What a great guy. When I first knew him, he had the sometimes thankless job at the City TV assignment desk.

In case you're not familiar with that position, it can be a nightmare at times. You're getting radio calls from camera people, updating where they are and where they're going next, which has to be tracked. You're listening for police, fire and ambulance calls, which at the time weren't encrypted, and you may have as many as five or six scanners going at the same time - and you have to listen to them all at once in case you need to send someone to a "hot shot."

You're getting constantly bugged by your producer, reporters, and other staff, who need vital and immediate info only you have access to. The phones never stop ringing and have to be answered.  And you have to completely expect the unexpected and respond to it instantly.

I'm told he did it better than anyone, and I had no idea he even thought about being on air back then. I'm not sure what he's doing next (although he says he will reveal it on his Twitter feed at some point) but I've had several people tell me they think the sky's the limit for this talented guy and they would not be surprised if he wound up working for one of the major U.S. news networks at some point. 

Anyway, congrats to Adrian. He's one of the good ones and it's nice to see him rewarded for it. 

May 5, 2022 11:29 am  #3

Re: Farewell Adrian Ghobrial

Like many, Adrian has used City as a springboard to more national exposure, as this Tweet reveals about what he's doing next. Congrats, Adrian. You deserve the success! (Although you may have to alter that Twitter handle!)