sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2022 9:32 am  #1

Leafs Radio Playoffs: What Happens When The Jays Are Also Playing?

For some Toronto sports fans, it's the most wonderful time of the year - the Leafs are in the playoffs with one of their best teams in years and the Jays are fresh into their season and are off to a great start. 

I can't find any info yet about radio coverage, but the Fan is obligated to carry all the Blue Jay games. So what happens when it's Sportsnet's time to carry one of the Leaf contests on the radio? (Because the Leafs are co-owned by both Rogers and Bell, they'll be divided between TSN 1050 and The Fan 590. I honestly can't think of another team in any sport that divides the coverage in this way, but I digress.)

Will the Leafs be shunted over to CityNews 680 when it's Rogers' turn? Or are there enough off days in the Jays sked that it could be arranged for the Leaf games to be aired on those rare occasions? So far, I haven't heard what Rogers' plans are, but it certainly makes for a tricky scheduling mess, especially if the Buds go on to the next few rounds. 

May 2, 2022 10:59 am  #2

Re: Leafs Radio Playoffs: What Happens When The Jays Are Also Playing?

Was it a disaster years ago when Leafs ended up on FM? Would it hurt Rogers all that much to put Leafs on 98.1 CHFI? Or how about 92.5 FM? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 2, 2022 12:04 pm  #3

It's definitely not ideal for 92.5 or 98.1, but I'm not sure what else they can do. Maybe swing a deal with 740? Or just let Bell have it? I don't think they can move the Jays' games under any circumstance.

Edit: I'm going with put the game on 1050, but Rogers keeps the revenue. Ratings aren't relevant.

Last edited by RadioAaron (May 2, 2022 12:18 pm)

May 2, 2022 2:17 pm  #4

The Jays are off May 9, 12, 19, 25 and 30. The Leafs play May 2, 4, 6, 8 and possibly 10, 12 and 14. so there will be conflicts for every Leaf game.

May 2, 2022 6:15 pm  #5

This happened just recently with the Raptors. They were carried on 680. This happened in years past as well. I'd say airing on FM would only make sense if they make it to the finals.. or even a simulcast between 1050 & 590. 

May 2, 2022 6:41 pm  #6

My guess is 680 will take the overflow as well, it makes the most sense and they've done it before. But getting the word out is essential and they should start promoting it ASAP. If I were a Leaf fan and not able to watch the game, and I turned on the radio and couldn't find it, I would not be happy.

The folks who gather here are savvy about this stuff. The average occasional listener? Maybe not. 

May 2, 2022 7:03 pm  #7

Um, I had a brain-fart and didn't consider 680. Of course that's where they'll go.

May 2, 2022 7:12 pm  #8

Or they could do this, which they did in 1992. Definitely the weirdest place for the Leafs ever. It looks like they were on both the AM & FM stations. Notice one of those games was against - you guessed it - the Tampa Bay Lightning.

May 2, 2022 7:46 pm  #9

The Leafs game is on Bloomberg 1150 Hamilton, or CKOC if you prefer. 

May 2, 2022 8:31 pm  #10

Yeah, I've noticed the once twin TSNs still simulcast the Leaf games whenever its Bell's turn. It could certainly be argued it's a massive improvement over their regular programming.

Whatever Rogers does, they may be forced to do it a lot, if the Leafs advance to further rounds.

May 4, 2022 10:18 am  #11

Game 2 airs Wednesday night and according to TSN's website, 1050 will not be broadcasting the game. (Their next turn is game 3 on May 6th.) So it's the first time there will be a conflict on Sportsnet radio.

I have been looking around the Fan590 and CityNews680 websites, and there's not a word of where to find the Leaf playoff game on the radio. You'd think they might want to make this information easy to find. But after a 20-minute search, I can't find a single mention of where to hear it. There are plenty of places where they talk about the TV sked, but nothing about the radio broadcast.  

I'm assuming the Jays will remain on 590 and 680 will have the Leafs. I just monitored the latest 680 sports update. They talked about the upcoming game, but not where to hear it. Why are they treating this like it's a state secret? Very bizarre.

May 4, 2022 10:35 am  #12

The Leafs game tonight is airing on City News 680, as per the Leafs' Twitter account.

May 4, 2022 10:37 am  #13

I just heard 680 confirm that on its 10:30 AM newscast. But you'd think they'd make it a lot easier to find on their own online sites and repeat it on their :45 past the hour sports update. If I had the rights to a big-ticket high interest event like this, I would think you couldn't mention it enough, especially if it's on a station where you normally wouldn't expect it to be. 

May 4, 2022 2:54 pm  #14

Rogers hates to communicate!!!  I have sent emails and phoned several times in Ottawa to find out their Blue Jay schedule and their schedule for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.  There are a few general promos on the air for the Jays games, nothing on the website.  There is no mention on-air or on their website for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.
It's pretty sad when a communications company doesn't communicate.