sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2022 12:54 pm  #2

Re: Happy 100 CKOC

A shame that there isn't more recognition of this.  In it's day CKOC was a very popular station and stayed with music until 2015. They dropped top 40 in 1992, which was one year before CFTR and the oldies format in 2015. 

Let's hope that the 100th anniversary gets some recognition or noted either on CHCH or the Spectator this week. 

May 1, 2022 1:38 pm  #3

What a great station it was - and with Nevin Grant, a real innovator. I always thought it was interesting that CKOC and CHUM were the original Top 40 stations in Southern Ontario - and in the end, it was 1150 that lasted longer than 1050 in that format. 

And boy, does the last statement in that great article resonate with me. To reiterate:

"Noted Kevin Leahy on the anniversary of the radio station his great grandfather helped found, “you would think Bell Media would want to build Hamilton’s accomplishments but I see no celebration listed yet on the internet and when I wrote them a year or so ago. I had no reply."

Sadly, that just about says it all. 

I searched my own archives for anything about CKOC, and here's what I found. Notice that in 1939, it was on 1120. 

May 1, 2022 2:10 pm  #4

Bell celebrating CKOC's 100th would be odd as it's essentially already dead. You don't always get a nice, clean "day they turned off the transmitter" obituary for a radio station.

May 1, 2022 3:57 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

Bell celebrating CKOC's 100th would be odd as it's essentially already dead. You don't always get a nice, clean "day they turned off the transmitter" obituary for a radio station.

True CKOC for music and as we remember the station has been gone for 7 years.  For AM radio celebrations in Canada it seems only to be for stations that are owned by smaller companies and still functioning as a real station.
Still is a shame however, generations of people in Hamilton grew up with CKOC, so it would be nice if either CHCH or the Spectator gave this some recognition since it is Hamilton history. 

CFOS in Owen Sound celebrated their 80th anniversary all year in 2020 with special programming, customized ID's and got in touch with alumni to record on air memories of their time at the station. They even invited everyone back for the 80th Anniversary party on March 1st.   They had oldies parties for listeners, and a open house.  But this is what you get when the station is actually still fully functioning, serving the community, and not owned by the big guys. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 1, 2022 4:04 pm)

May 1, 2022 4:06 pm  #6

It would never happen, but it would be a great gesture if the people at The Grand 92.9 somehow acknowledged the milestone. After all, a number of their on-air staff, including Ray Michaels and Ted Yates, used to work there. Not to mention Roger Ashby, whose oldies show runs on the weekends. 

It would be a nice tribute to a legendary outlet and wouldn't cost them any listeners. No one tuned into The Grand is going over to 1150 for business. 

In fact, a CKOC reunion would have been a real nice touch. 

May 1, 2022 4:13 pm  #7

The milestone doesn't exist. It wouldn't make sense to just about anyone. You don't throw a birthday party for Grandpa when he's in a medically induced coma.

May 1, 2022 4:59 pm  #8

If CKOC has a local input section for local business news, that's where the party starts and unfortunately ends. Just a quick blurb & cheer. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 1, 2022 5:00 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

It would never happen, but it would be a great gesture if the people at The Grand 92.9 somehow acknowledged the milestone. After all, a number of their on-air staff, including Ray Michaels and Ted Yates, used to work there. Not to mention Roger Ashby, whose oldies show runs on the weekends. 

It would be a nice tribute to a legendary outlet and wouldn't cost them any listeners. No one tuned into The Grand is going over to 1150 for business. 

In fact, a CKOC reunion would have been a real nice touch. 

Well actually we don't know, maybe there already was a reunion or one is being planned for this summer. However something like that falls more on the alumni to organize since 1150 as next to no staff.  Reunions don't need to necessarily happen on the actual date, and summer would allow for an outdoor event.  Also I wouldn't be surprised if Rockin Ray or one of the other CKOC vets mention something on air at The Grand, but unless you listen all day we wouldn't know.  Ashby certainly could, he did a nice chat about Nevin Grant after he passed away. . 

May 1, 2022 5:17 pm  #10

So how about widening it out - a Hamilton radio reunion. That could include not only CKOC almus, (including politicians like Jason Farr and Bob Bratina) but CHML and old CHAM staffers. I would definitely listen to that and it's highly promotable for an oldies station.

I know WCBS-FM in New York back in their true oldies days did one, and the talent on display was absolutely astounding. 

WHTT also did a Buffalo radio reunion a few years ago and that one was a classic, as well. And I recall a Detroit station doing a CKLW reunion sometime in the distant past. It was incredible.

Gotta do it while these old timers are still around, though. None of them are getting any younger!

May 1, 2022 5:47 pm  #11

That would be a great event for 92.9 and something they could promote and actually sell.  Durham Radio being a smaller company would be more likely do this than say CHML and Corus.  And Durham Radio did celebrate the 75th anniversary of their own CKDO last year on line and with podcasts.  Don't listen to them much but I assume they had some special programming on air too.  And if it was billed as the Hamilton Radio Reunion Weekend would include all of the AM stations in the Hammer.  Don't know if you would include any FM but CING might be one to consider since they had a storied past in Hamilton radio history and are remembered fondly by many. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 1, 2022 5:49 pm)

May 1, 2022 5:55 pm  #12

The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. It would be a treat to hear those voices in one place again. 

May 1, 2022 5:57 pm  #13

Nevin Grant put together an amazing museum for CKOC at his home in Durham, part of which can be seen here. He even had the CKOC letters that were on the building.(not shown).

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 1, 2022 6:04 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 2, 2022 7:22 am  #14

I used to enjoy CKOC for oldies and even tuned in for their final broadcast Labour Day weekend 2015. The last song they played before switching over to TSN was Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones. I must admit that I felt a bit sad that day. Since then, sports radio failed and business radio isn’t exactly rocket ratings. CKOC you later.

May 2, 2022 8:32 am  #15

The photo at the beginning of the article looks like it was taken at 73 Garfield St. Also, I am curious when Nevin Grant's "Top 40 is at a Crossroads" article was written. His prediction in the last paragraph certainly came true.

May 2, 2022 8:36 am  #16

mace wrote:

The photo at the beginning of the article looks like it was taken at 73 Garfield St. Also, I am curious when Nevin Grant's "Top 40 is at a Crossroads" article was written. His prediction in the last paragraph certainly came true.

It was published in 1972.

May 2, 2022 9:27 am  #17

The last song...

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 2, 2022 12:16 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

True CKOC for music and as we remember the station has been gone for 7 years.  For AM radio celebrations in Canada it seems only to be for stations that are owned by smaller companies and still functioning as a real station.
Still is a shame however, generations of people in Hamilton grew up with CKOC, so it would be nice if either CHCH or the Spectator gave this some recognition since it is Hamilton history. 

CFOS in Owen Sound celebrated their 80th anniversary all year in 2020 with special programming, customized ID's and got in touch with alumni to record on air memories of their time at the station. They even invited everyone back for the 80th Anniversary party on March 1st.   They had oldies parties for listeners, and a open house.  But this is what you get when the station is actually still fully functioning, serving the community, and not owned by the big guys. 

CFOS published (and even sent me) a memorial calendar they published celebrating their 75th anniversary. I think it is the only AM facility in Bayshore Broadcasting's holdings and it is nice to see they value it.

May 2, 2022 2:10 pm  #19

Yes they celebrate their anniversaries well and try to track down all of their alumni to be on air live or do a voicer memory from their years working for the company.  People like Don Daynard, Heather Hiscox, Kristy Knight, John Northcott, John Robertson, Bill Carroll, Janice Mackey Frayer and all of the others like myself that didn't quite attain the brass ring!  One time CFOS had a 20 page insert in the Sun Times newspaper for one of their anniversaries. Sad to say I lost my copy. The flyer was full of great photos and stories, and lots of advertisers congratulating the station on their birthday. 

Last edited by paterson1 (May 2, 2022 9:00 pm)