sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 28, 2022 9:26 am  #1

Attn. Bell Media: This Promo Is 2 Months Out Of Date. Stop Running It!

[completely unimportant rant] Every time I tune into a Bell Media radio station, I'm greeted by a promo for CTV's "The Good Doctor" that features an announcer saying in his best 'concerned voice,' "Change is pushing the team to its limits." That's followed by actor Freddie Highmore in character yelling, "I can't trust you!"

It's the same promo that's been running since at least the beginning of March. But as someone who actually watches that show, I can tell you that was a plot point from over two months ago, the Highmore character was talking to his fiancé not his fellow doctors, and that particular storyline was resolved weeks and weeks and weeks ago. 

It's hopelessly out of date, and anyone who watches the show knows it. Those who don't won't be tempted to do so by this promo. So either record a new one or stop playing the damn thing already!  What's next - a spot telling me to tune in to see who shot J.R.? Sheesh![/completely unimportant rant]

April 28, 2022 9:40 am  #2

Re: Attn. Bell Media: This Promo Is 2 Months Out Of Date. Stop Running It!

I have never watched The Good Doctor, so I wouldn't pay any attention to the promo. If there is a series I do watch on a regular basis [Chicago Med/Fire/PD] I do take notice. I always watch the U.S. network feed. Their promos are always current.

April 28, 2022 10:04 am  #3

Re: Attn. Bell Media: This Promo Is 2 Months Out Of Date. Stop Running It!

I think in CTV's case and the many other Bell networks, they are promoting the show and time, not the next episode.  CBC does more promo like the US networks promoting the next episode of Murdoch, Marketplace, Heartland or whatever.  I believe Global does some of this as well, but also have more generic promos.

Also I have noticed at the end of a show, when they are racing through the credits on split screen, CTV rather than promoting next week's episode, like most US networks do, opt to promo one of their most popular shows like This Is Us, or The Good Doctor.  Contrary to what some think, they are not playing another commercial.   

It's interesting to note in the ratings Global has been making real headway against CTV in prime time.  Global's imported dramas seem to be getting larger audiences and CTV isn't as dominate as they were. Latest Numeris ratings, Global had 6 of the top 10 shows, CTV 3 and one of these was CTV News, City had one show in the top ten. 

CTV only had 7 shows in the top 30 and two of these were CTV news, so their imported shows have softened.   Global had 14 in the top 30 with three of them being Big Brother Canada. City came in with 4 in the top 30, Sportsnet 3, indieNET (Wheel and Jeapardy) 2 and CBC 0.  

Last edited by paterson1 (April 28, 2022 10:42 am)