sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2022 9:13 pm  #1

BBC: 70% Couldn't Live Without Us. Would Cdns. Say The Same About CBC?

There's been a huge controversy in Britain about the infamous TV licence fee that viewers have to pay to help support the BBC. Anyone with a TV has to fork it over once a year. It's similar in principle to the government funding of the CBC here, which only makes sense - our national broadcaster was based in large part on the British model. 

The government there has recently begun talking about eliminating or reducing the fee, which - needless to say - the BBC is not happy about. To prove its point, the Beeb asked people to live without their services for nine days, then surveyed them to see how many missed being able to get them. 

Some 70% admitted they really noticed the lack of the networks and would not like it if there were cutbacks or it was no longer in existence. 

BBC Attempts To Prove People Can’t Live Without It Through Landmark Study; 70% Of Naysayers Wanted It Back After Nine Days

These surveys are sometimes skewed for the result the poll taker wants, but I have no doubt the BBC is a valued service in Britain and as many of us know, produces some great TV comedies and dramas.

All of which started me thinking - if the CBC asked viewers to not watch or listen to them for nine days, do you think the results would be similar, or that high a number? At the risk of inflaming paterson1, my first guess would be a resounding 'no,' and with would-be federal Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre ramping up an old favourite campaign platform of defunding the CBC, we may yet get to find out. 

But it's an interesting question - if the CBC were to disappear from your TV and radio dial for a while, would you miss it?

April 26, 2022 10:37 pm  #2

Re: BBC: 70% Couldn't Live Without Us. Would Cdns. Say The Same About CBC?

This BBC survey can't be that accurate since only 200 people took part.  Other than CBC radio listeners, I can't see people missing CBC TV much for only 9 days.

Maybe if you asked Canadians, if the CBC ceased to exist would you miss it?  Then you would see more honest results, and you would need to survey a lot more than 200 people.

Even asking the question here on SOWNY wouldn't really be that representative since the vast number of registered users here don't post comments.  And the relatively small number that post comments were for the most part in the business working for private broadcasters or still are.  Whether we are actually representative of the average Canadian is questionable. 

The only way to find out would be a survey not sponsored by any political party, group with an agenda or broadcaster.  Up until now defunding CBC has not been top of mind or that important for most Canadians, however there does seem to be a more concerted effort to whip up anti CBC rhetoric.  Sadly much of this  is based on misinformation and from individuals that don't like or want public broadcasting.  The only "state broadcaster" in North America isn't in Canada and this broadcaster is mostly propaganda for the Republican Party. 

RA is incorrect saying our public broadcaster is largely based on BBC.   Funding models are totally different and the public in the UK is taxed directly for BBC and much higher, $270 per household.  Businesses in the UK also pay for BBC directly and this can run in the thousands of dollars per business. If your business has a computer screen you will be paying for BBC. Businesses in Canada don't pay for CBC.

CBC radio and BBC radio generally are not similar.  BBC has more radio networks and three of them compete directly for ratings with private broadcasters with top 40 and rock/pop music formats.  BBC also has other more refined and specialized radio networks and CBC does not.  

BBC was allowed to set up a movie division to compete in the marketplace with private film production companies, CBC does not have this.  BBC's main network has no commercials, CBC is allowed to have commercials.  Some of BBC's specialty networks do have commercials however. Finally BBC's total budget is over 4 times higher than CBC's.  Including advertising, program sales and license/cable fees BBC has an annual budget of over 8 billion in Canadian dollars, CBC just under 2 billion.  

April 26, 2022 11:23 pm  #3

From Wikipedia (not always the best source, I'll admit, but I think this is true.)

"...the CBC was a Crown corporation on the model of the British Broadcasting Corporation, which had been reformed from a private company into a statutory corporation in 1927."

As for the rest of your argument, I'm not going to rehash our old tired points about the CBC. My original post was designed to see what those who wish to express an opinion think, and your point of view is as valid as anyone's.

The one thing I will say is I'm not a fan of the Corporation, as you know, and I could certainly go far more than 9 days without ever seeing or hearing it, "Under The Influence" notwithstanding.  

April 27, 2022 12:17 am  #4

CBC TV in this context would also have to include the French TV network, which is arguably more successful than the English network.

I would imagine the answer to the question in Quebec for the French CBC might be different than for the English CBC across Canada. Just a hunch.

April 27, 2022 8:09 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

... But it's an interesting question - if the CBC were to disappear from your TV and radio dial for a while, would you miss it?

Yes .. 

Not that I watch a lot of regular TV but CBC/CBC News Network would be on much more than CTV or Global.

April 27, 2022 10:32 am  #6

MJ Vancouver wrote:

CBC TV in this context would also have to include the French TV network, which is arguably more successful than the English network.

I would imagine the answer to the question in Quebec for the French CBC might be different than for the English CBC across Canada. Just a hunch.

Yesterday in the latest Numeris ratings, Radio Canada had 7 of the top 10 television shows in Quebec and 14 of the top 30, and all were domestic.  The number one show which is a drama called District 31, Monday to Thursday average about 1.7 million viewers.  District 31 has even been the highest rated show in Canada various weeks with better ratings than the imported simsub offerings on CTV and Global. 

Like anything else, if you don't watch or listen to a channel or network you won't miss it.  As we know CBC radio both English and French are very popular so millions of Canadians would certainly miss them, especially since there is no private radio similar in format. 

And CBC News Network has more viewers than CTV News Channel.  Both networks along with CP24 are a good alternative to US news channels and overall give another perspective on international stories.  

When the CBC haters cry for defunding they usually are referring to CBC TV which they seem to dislike regardless of what programming is offered.  These folks have been calling for CBC to be privatized or phased out of existence for decades.  They have it in their head that CBC is pro left and have this huge advantage over private companies like Bell and Rogers which is not correct. 

Personally I find Bell Media ,especially their TV operations locally more left leaning than CBC TV.  CTV Toronto/CP24 in my opinion tend to be overly critical of the Ford government and have been since they came to power.  CBC TV Toronto is more balanced when talking about the Ontario government.  When the teachers had their rotating strikes a few years ago, I found both CTV and Global reporting on this very one sided and pro teachers union, something that I didn't see on CBC.  

April 27, 2022 10:57 am  #7

I would think people in English Canada would miss CBC Radio One and CBCnews.ca, not so much CBC TV or other services.

April 27, 2022 11:01 am  #8

Marketplace, with it's freedom to be honest about Bell, Rogers and others is a very good thing.
Does W5 have the freedom to say "Here's what's wrong with Bell..."?  

I like CBC TV for it's freedom to be itself without being told by a parent company what can and can not be said on television. (about any particular company)

CBC radio is garbage and boring. I will never miss it at all. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 27, 2022 11:32 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

There's been a huge controversy in Britain about the infamous TV licence fee that viewers have to pay to help support the BBC. Anyone with a TV has to fork it over once a year. It's similar in principle to the government funding of the CBC here, which only makes sense - our national broadcaster was based in large part on the British model. 

The government there has recently begun talking about eliminating or reducing the fee, which - needless to say - the BBC is not happy about. To prove its point, the Beeb asked people to live without their services for nine days, then surveyed them to see how many missed being able to get them. 

Some 70% admitted they really noticed the lack of the networks and would not like it if there were cutbacks or it was no longer in existence. 

BBC Attempts To Prove People Can’t Live Without It Through Landmark Study; 70% Of Naysayers Wanted It Back After Nine Days

These surveys are sometimes skewed for the result the poll taker wants, but I have no doubt the BBC is a valued service in Britain and as many of us know, produces some great TV comedies and dramas.

All of which started me thinking - if the CBC asked viewers to not watch or listen to them for nine days, do you think the results would be similar, or that high a number? At the risk of inflaming paterson1, my first guess would be a resounding 'no,' and with would-be federal Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre ramping up an old favourite campaign platform of defunding the CBC, we may yet get to find out. 

But it's an interesting question - if the CBC were to disappear from your TV and radio dial for a while, would you miss it?

No.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 27, 2022 8:17 pm  #10

I never listen to CBC radio. It simply does not interest me. However, I must be in the minority. Radio One is incredibly popular in most markets judging by their ratings share. As for the television side, I would miss Corrie Street and Marketplace. Everything else, not so much.