sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2022 2:27 pm  #1

Loss for CITYTV

Whether you are a fan or not moving Dancing with the Stars from ABC (CITY in Canada) to Disney+ leaves a big hole in CITY's schedule this fall.

https://deadline.com/2022/04/dancing-with-the-stars-leaving-abc-disney-plus-season-31-1234996886/

Last edited by LOSat (April 8, 2022 2:27 pm)

April 8, 2022 2:59 pm  #2

Re: Loss for CITYTV

Hmm, I wonder. There's always a possibility that City could continue the rights here in Canada.

I remember when Seth MacFarlane's sci fi show "The Orville" moved from Fox to Hulu (it still hasn't returned, thanks to special effects pandemic production delays.) I called City TV's program department to ask if that meant it would be unavailable on free TV in Canada. (City simulcasted the show with Fox.) She insisted they had retained the rights in this country and would show it here when it came back, a good thing if you're a fan because Hulu isn't sold in Canada. 

Still, it's been so long, I wonder if that promise is still in effect and if it will inevitably wind up on Crave.

In the end, I'm guessing because Disney+ is sold here that "Dancing" will likely require a subscription in both countries.

Not a show I will miss, per se, but it's becoming part of a growing and disturbing trend with these big companies. "Seal Team" started the season on CBS, which showed a few episodes, then left permanently (on a big cliffhanger, no less) for CBS' Paramount Plus. "Evil" was another free OTA drama that suddenly switched to the pay outlet. "The Good Wife" spinoff also debuted solely on the service.  

NBC took "AP Bio" off the network and continued it on Peacock. 

More recently, ABC cancelled a low rated soap-drama called "Promised Land" and ran off the last 5 episodes only on Hulu.

Not that any of those shows were on my Must Watch list. But the fact they started on free TV and are now behind a paywall has irritated (but perhaps not surprised) a lot of people. There are fears that future shows will attract an audience on free network television, only to be transferred to a pay service if they become hits. That would help spell the end of network TV, although that may already be happening.

I suspect these aren't the last ones leaving that we're going to see. Or rather, not see. 

April 8, 2022 3:42 pm  #3

The Deadline article specifically says it is moving to Disney+ in the US and Canada.

April 8, 2022 3:44 pm  #4

Did not notice that. Thanks. Better get used to this. It's almost like free TV is now the minor leagues for TV shows.

If it excels and hits a home run, it moves to the majors - where you have to pay to see it.

April 8, 2022 5:58 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

If it excels and hits a home run, it moves to the majors - where you have to pay to see it.

I don't fully agree. ABC is still an advertising business. Do we even know what the replacement programming will be? 
Whatever it is, it will still have to be "good enough" so advertisers will continue to believe there's good reason to advertise on television.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 13, 2022 1:01 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I remember when Seth MacFarlane's sci fi show "The Orville" moved from Fox to Hulu (it still hasn't returned, thanks to special effects pandemic production delays.) I called City TV's program department to ask if that meant it would be unavailable on free TV in Canada. (City simulcasted the show with Fox.) She insisted they had retained the rights in this country and would show it here when it came back, a good thing if you're a fan because Hulu isn't sold in Canada. 

Still, it's been so long, I wonder if that promise is still in effect and if it will inevitably wind up on Crave.

If anyone besides me liked "The Orville" (or as I call it, Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek rip-off) we now know when it's coming back in the U.S. on Hulu - June 2nd. (Speaking of science fiction, that's the same day as the Ontario election!)

Will it turn up on City TV? I will be surprised if it does, given that it's been 3 years(!) since the series aired its last episode on Fox. Anyway, stay tuned, I just hope that if Rogers still owns the rights, they won't shift it over exclusively to its new streaming service. But nothing would surprise me.

‘The Orville’ Future Beyond Season 3 Uncertain As Seth MacFarlane & His Cast Focus On Other Projects