sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2022 3:57 pm  #1

Citytv launches two streaming products, including Prime Video channel

April 12, 2022 5:35 pm  #2

Re: Citytv launches two streaming products, including Prime Video channel

They blew it with Shomi, so I'm guessing this is Rogers' way of trying to get back into the streaming game. I doubt many will "Crave" it. 

April 12, 2022 6:56 pm  #3

Just checked it out on Prime Video. The Citytv channels (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal) along with the aforementioned CityNews 24/7 channel for Toronto is available for free without a subscription. All other content from Citytv+ requires a subscription. 

I'm actually impressed/puzzled about Rogers just giving away its Citytv signals not only on Amazon Prime, but also on Citytv.com (you get your local Citytv station without a cable sign-in). 

April 12, 2022 6:59 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

I'm actually impressed/puzzled about Rogers just giving away its Citytv signals not only on Amazon Prime, but also on Citytv.com (you get your local Citytv station without a cable sign-in). 

It's free OTA and basic cable. Increases eyeballs for advertisers. I'm more puzzled as to why CTV and Global *don't* do this.

April 13, 2022 4:40 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

ED1 wrote:

It's free OTA and basic cable. Increases eyeballs for advertisers. I'm more puzzled as to why CTV and Global *don't* do this.

Because we're not in an advertising business world anymore. 
Everyone is paying for some sort of (commercial free) service now.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 13, 2022 10:44 am  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

ED1 wrote:

I would understand CTV not doing it because it goes against their interests in satellite and IPTV. As for Global, who knows. At least their local news is available on their free news streams on Prime and on their app; CTV doesn’t even stream their local news live for free.

April 16, 2022 12:21 pm  #7

I checked and can see to watch City LIVE, would have to pay to watch anything on-demand - which I won't ever do. However, I fail to see any option to watch anything related to a news channel/feed.

On a side note, sometimes even the option to watch the Global news is not available, even after scrolling down through all the viewing choices. Global 'magically' returns after a short period of time and nothing short of time seems to correct its loss and reappearance.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by DeepTracks (April 16, 2022 12:22 pm)

April 16, 2022 12:58 pm  #8

DeepTracks wrote:

I checked and can see to watch City LIVE, would have to pay to watch anything on-demand - which I won't ever do. However, I fail to see any option to watch anything related to a news channel/feed.

On a side note, sometimes even the option to watch the Global news is not available, even after scrolling down through all the viewing choices. Global 'magically' returns after a short period of time and nothing short of time seems to correct its loss and reappearance.

Anyone else experiencing this?

The CityNews 24/7 channel (and the Global ones too for that matter) appear right on the front page of Prime Video for me under "Watch Live news and TV"

April 18, 2022 10:03 am  #9

ED1...thanks. It never occurred to me to check via my PC.

So, via the PC app I can see what it is you see - all news feeds. However, via my Hisense TV's built-in VIDAA app - not so much (even when I do a specific search - selecting any of the options listed there are absolutely no news channels whatsoever).

\

And to add another twist, if I view via my ROKU stick I see all the news feeds just like on my PC.

Very curious to say the least.

April 18, 2022 3:11 pm  #10

DeepTracks wrote:

ED1...thanks. It never occurred to me to check via my PC.

So, via the PC app I can see what it is you see - all news feeds. However, via my Hisense TV's built-in VIDAA app - not so much (even when I do a specific search - selecting any of the options listed there are absolutely no news channels whatsoever).

\

And to add another twist, if I view via my ROKU stick I see all the news feeds just like on my PC.

Very curious to say the least.

I'm guessing that those apps on your smart TV's are updated as frequently as the Prime Video apps on your phone, Roku, or on your website. My Samsung smart TV from 2013 has Prime Video on it, and the Global News 24/7 channels also appear there (didn't check if Citytv was on there).

April 18, 2022 3:29 pm  #11

ED1 wrote:

I'm guessing that those apps on your smart TV's are updated as frequently as the Prime Video apps on your phone, Roku, or on your website. My Samsung smart TV from 2013 has Prime Video on it, and the Global News 24/7 channels also appear there (didn't check if Citytv was on there).

I would be curious to know and would appreciate if you would check.