sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2022 2:00 pm  #1

CTV Toronto Hangs Its Reporter Out To Dry

In broadcasting, it's said there's nothing worse than dead air, where just two or three seconds of nothing can feel like an eternity. But actually, I think there's something worse. And it happened to CTV Toronto's John Musselman on Monday during the station's noon newscast.

He was doing a story about the Ford government's plan to cut the gas tax in July, with the veteran reporter standing at a gas station. He dutifully read his brief intro and stood there waiting for the report to roll.

And stood there.

And stood there.

And stood there.

Normally, when a story isn't available for whatever technical reason, they'll either cut back to the studio anchors, who will talk about some temporary glitch to explain it to viewers, go to a generic live shot - like the ones off the CN Tower - or in the worst-case scenario, fade to black for a few seconds as they get it all worked out. But they almost never hang the guy on air out to dry by staying on him non-stop.

Except in this case. The unblinking camera remained trained on poor Mr. Musselman for 18 agonizing seconds. Doesn't sound like a lot, but in broadcasting terms, it must have felt endless, as he stood there with his mic poised in front of his face, blinking and waiting for an all-clear that never came. 

At the same time, you could hear someone in his IFB (the earpiece they wear to communicate with the studio) say "Keep talking." But he apparently didn't hear it and just stood there motionless - and silent. Another few seconds of eternity went by, before you could hear the same voice say "He's not responding."

Finally, almost mercifully, they cut back to anchor Michelle Dube, who said, "Sorry to leave you hanging there, John," before throwing to a totally different story. 

To be fair, Musselman was a real pro and never flinched during the entire thing, which must have felt like it would never end. That's him below, waiting and waiting and waiting for a tape that never came. 

And that wasn't the end of the troubled newscast. At one point, they went to that terrible story about the Ukrainian citizens apparently being gunned down in cold blood by retreating Russian soldiers. The caption on screen said it all. "Evidence Of Atrocities." Except it was spelled "Attrocities," with an extra "t." That, too stayed up for what seemed like an hour before they finally fixed it at the end of Paul Workman's debrief. 

I'm not pointing this out to laugh or make fun of them. Hey, it's happened to all of us at one point or another and I have great sympathy for those involved and for the chaos you never get to see in the control room. I've just rarely seen it last quite that long.

April 4, 2022 2:26 pm  #2

Re: CTV Toronto Hangs Its Reporter Out To Dry

RadioActive wrote:

To be fair, Musselman was a real pro and never flinched during the entire thing, which must have felt like it would never end. That's him below, waiting and waiting and waiting for a tape that never came.

My father used to like to quote John Milton's line "They also serve who only stand and wait" in a variety of situations ... I'm sure he would have thought that it applied here. 

April 4, 2022 3:53 pm  #3

Is the control room on autopilot?

April 5, 2022 1:10 am  #4

"Doubtful many viewers under the age of 50 would have even noticed the spelling mistake" isn't a complete sentence.  Our not so modern society is also illiterate, it would appear.

April 5, 2022 4:32 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

"Doubtful many viewers under the age of 50 would have even noticed the spelling mistake" isn't a complete sentence.  Our not so modern society is also illiterate, it would appear.

Tooshay.

April 5, 2022 5:49 pm  #6

This sounds like something out of the SCTV News.

It happened to Earl Camembert once, he just sat there waiting, while Floyd Robertson got increasingly irritated.

April 6, 2022 10:33 am  #7

Watched 20 mins of CP24 this morning and so many errors.  I felt bad for the actual anchors because the background people who present the images on the screen etc were eitheir disorganized or there was technical glitches because it left them hanging....from mix ups to the birthday greetings with photos to switching news stories.   All a mess.  The anchors joked about it but you can see the stress and awkwardness.

April 6, 2022 11:17 am  #8

The one thing I can tell you with some experience is that when things go wrong in a TV control room and you're on live, if you're not careful, the entire thing can become like the proverbial snowball rolling down a hill - it just gets bigger and bigger and bigger until there's an avalanche and you're buried. 

The first thing to go wrong might distract the director, who tries to figure out how to fix it. While that's going on, the audio guy might forget to test the next person's mic, so he or she comes up with no sound. That just further takes things off the rails, leading to the next report not playing because it wasn't loaded into the right spot and on and on it goes. 

I once worked with a great producer and I'll never forget what he did when this snowball started rolling during one of his newscasts. As the control room got increasingly noisy and panicky over an error, he told the TD (technical director, sometimes called the switcher, who picks which camera or source goes to air at the director's instruction) to take the show to black - nothing on screen at all, a real last resort and the TV equivalent of radio's dead air. He quickly asked each person there - from the director to the graphics guy to the woman who timed the show with a stopwatch in hand - "Are you OK, everything good, you ready?"

"Yes," they all replied. 

At which point he said, "let's go back to the anchor," who then apologized for the technical glitch and moved on.

All this took only about three seconds, but it seemed like forever. But it was worth it - the show went flawlessly after that, simply because the producer had the good sense to calm everyone down and reset the room. And it was back to business with no yelling, no panic and with the glitch quickly forgotten.