sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2022 4:46 pm  #1

John Moore "major announcement coming Wed. morning"/New "Rush" Hosts

https://twitter.com/MooreintheAM/status/1511441134748377100?t=NePX08-PpqByvnoqFoek5A&s=19

any guesses? I think it could have something to do with Maureen Holloway. John has mentioned her in passing numerous times over the past couple of weeks when talking to a guest, with a good deal of fondness and respect.

Jim Richards is off this week with Deb Hutton and Mark Towhey (sp?) sitting in on The Rush, so the announcement could be just about anything.

Last edited by betaylored (April 5, 2022 4:49 pm)

April 5, 2022 4:49 pm  #2

Re: John Moore "major announcement coming Wed. morning"/New "Rush" Hosts

April 5, 2022 5:01 pm  #3

The tweet tells you the announcement .

April 5, 2022 5:28 pm  #4

He has an 11:00am tee time with Gurdeep and Bill at Dentonia?

April 5, 2022 6:17 pm  #5

April 5, 2022 6:32 pm  #6

In case you're not familiar with Scott MacArthur but recall the name from somewhere, he briefly took over Jays Talk from Mike Wilner in 2019. But he made headlines across the country by coming out as gay that same year, an admission seen by many as act of courage for someone working in a sports format and dealing with pro athletes. 

April 5, 2022 8:58 pm  #7

1050 PD adds 1010 to his duties and hires 1050 personality. Not the most out of the box hire.

April 6, 2022 8:05 am  #8

He confirmed in his "big announcement" at 8:05, that Nair and MacArthur were, indeed, taking over The Rush, both of whom came on air with him. They start next Monday.

But I loved the promo right before the news, where he laughingly denied that NT1010 was going "All Country." 

Perhaps next rating book!

By the way, not a word about the fate of semi-permanent afternoon co-host Jim Richards, and it now seems likely that the reason he's off this week is to allow him to readjust to his "new" old hours. Not sure about what happens to David Cooper, the guy who's been filling in for him on that graveyard shift.  

April 6, 2022 8:19 am  #9

I noticed as well that there was no mention of Jim Richards.  It will be interesting if he does go back to the evening show or if he was let go.

April 6, 2022 8:38 am  #10

Speaking of John Moore, he had a very rough morning Wednesday. In introducing the new Rush crew, he told listeners that their show starts at 4 PM, when it begins at 2 o'clock. Then, in trying to correct himself, moments later repeated that it started at 4. (Which is when it began when he hosted it way back when.)

He also had problems with a time check, confirming at 8:30 that it was 6:30. 

But perhaps the biggest mistake of the day happened an hour or so before that, when he noted that Vladimir Putin addressed the union yesterday, before correcting himself to say Volodymyr Zalenskyy spoke to the U.N.

But other than that, it was a great show! Lots of stuff for the Christmas party tape, I'm sure. 

April 6, 2022 8:54 am  #11

Maybe they should change the spelling of the new female co-host's name to "Rush"-mi Nair!

April 6, 2022 9:18 am  #12

They sounded really good together. Looking forward to giving the show a chance.

April 6, 2022 9:28 am  #13

April 6, 2022 11:31 am  #14

From MacArthur's Twitter Feed:

From Nair's Twitter account:

Still no update from Jim Richard's Twitter page at all.

Meanwhile, most of the comments, beyond congrats from fans, appear centered on MacArthur's lengthy locks. It's also interesting in the official poster that no mention at all is really made of AM radio. Instead, it's the iHeart Radio App/Android Auto/Car Play and Smart Speaker. A sign of the times if there ever was one.

April 6, 2022 12:08 pm  #15

I'm happy for Scotty Mac. He's a good guy. My sense though is this is another nail in the 1010 coffin. 

April 6, 2022 2:53 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Speaking of John Moore, he had a very rough morning Wednesday. In introducing the new Rush crew, he told listeners that their show starts at 4 PM, when it begins at 2 o'clock. Then, in trying to correct himself, moments later repeated that it started at 4. (Which is when it began when he hosted it way back when.)

He also had problems with a time check, confirming at 8:30 that it was 6:30. 

But perhaps the biggest mistake of the day happened an hour or so before that, when he noted that Vladimir Putin addressed the union yesterday, before correcting himself to say Volodymyr Zalenskyy spoke to the U.N.

But other than that, it was a great show! Lots of stuff for the Christmas party tape, I'm sure. 

The CFRB Morning Show sure has changed since the day this ad ran back in the golden years of 1010's AM (both time and band) dominance. I always thought this a clever idea.

April 6, 2022 6:41 pm  #17

Charlie wrote:

Anything will be an improvement over the past few months, and I wish them well.

I second this. What I've heard has been awful. And this week's roster has been abyssal.

April 7, 2022 12:00 pm  #18

Listener wrote:

I noticed as well that there was no mention of Jim Richards. It will be interesting if he does go back to the evening show or if he was let go.

Jerry Agar's producer confirmed during one of their topics Thursday that "Jim Richards is on vacation." So he's still very much with the station. Given that they've just filled the afternoon slot with two newcomers, it's almost certain he'll wind up back on the overnight show, possibly as soon as next week.

April 8, 2022 8:54 am  #19

John Moore mention he had hosted the afternoon drive show for a few years. Then John Tory hosted the show when John Moore moved to do the morning show, until John Tory left to run for mayor in 2014. Seems there are no hosts from the Rush worthy of mention after John Tory  hosted the show. Personal choice by John Moore, or a directive from the top brass at Bell Media?