sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2022 5:34 pm  #2

Re: Colin D'Mello goes Global

Take them long enough. The job was posted last August.

April 5, 2022 5:40 pm  #3

Hmm. Good for him. I really like Colin's work. But I wouldn't be going anywhere near Global right now if I had the choice, given the ongoing Rogers-Shaw deal-with-the-devil taking place. If it goes through, there are questions about how much funding Global News will retain, even as Rogers beefs up its City TV properties. 

Still, congrats to Colin. I hope it turns out to be a good move. 

So with an election coming up, who takes his place at Queen's Park at CTV?

April 5, 2022 9:55 pm  #4

CTV to Global doesn't seem like an upward move to me.

April 5, 2022 10:07 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

Hmm. Good for him. I really like Colin's work. But I wouldn't be going anywhere near Global right now if I had the choice, given the ongoing Rogers-Shaw deal-with-the-devil taking place. If it goes through, there are questions about how much funding Global News will retain, even as Rogers beefs up its City TV properties. 

Everyone and their mom knew that this Rogers-Shaw deal is gonna go through, why hasn't Corus started cutting now?

It would be interesting to know what Global offered Colin that CTV couldn't (besides money... his own show? Host of Focus Ontario? A radio gig?)

April 6, 2022 2:02 pm  #6

ED1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Everyone and their mom knew that this Rogers-Shaw deal is gonna go through, why hasn't Corus started cutting now?

It would be interesting to know what Global offered Colin that CTV couldn't (besides money... his own show? Host of Focus Ontario? A radio gig?)

I’ve also gotten the sense from some articles about this deal that the more vulnerable Global stations are the likes of CKWS Kingston or Global Lethbridge. You never know after all the Bell Media cuts to CTV Toronto in recent years, but I think they would cut from smaller markets first, if they’re going to cut at all.

Another thing worth noting is that Global already runs its local news operations a lot leaner than CTV, so arguably there may be less to cut. Just look at all the markets where the Global anchor isn’t even located in the same city. CTV doesn’t do that, though they do simulcast news on multiple stations in some instances (London/Windsor on weekends, for example).

April 6, 2022 8:45 pm  #7

MJ Vancouver wrote:

ED1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I’ve also gotten the sense from some articles about this deal that the more vulnerable Global stations are the likes of CKWS Kingston or Global Lethbridge. You never know after all the Bell Media cuts to CTV Toronto in recent years, but I think they would cut from smaller markets first, if they’re going to cut at all.

Another thing worth noting is that Global already runs its local news operations a lot leaner than CTV, so arguably there may be less to cut. Just look at all the markets where the Global anchor isn’t even located in the same city. CTV doesn’t do that, though they do simulcast news on multiple stations in some instances (London/Windsor on weekends, for example).

Not much left to cut at Global Lethbridge. Most of the technical staff and guts of the station has moved to Calgary, and the remaining staff (VJs and maybe a manager) have moved to an office building in Downtown Lethbridge with a smaller footprint (the newscasts are still presented from Global Lethbridge unlike CTV Lethbridge). It would also look bad at Lethbridge College where they have named an internship program after Corus news VP Troy Reeb. 

I would bet Global BC, Calgary, and Edmonton would be next on the hit list to be honest. 

Last edited by ED1 (April 6, 2022 8:46 pm)

April 6, 2022 9:39 pm  #8

Lethbridge is pretty small though.  The fact that they had two or three stations doing local news for a city of less than 100,000 is pretty rare.  Regina did have three local newscasts for the CBC, CTV and Global affiliates in that town and maybe still do.  Regina is over 200,000 people and has local affiliates from the three networks.  Can't see Global gutting Calgary, Global BC and Edmonton much.  They often beat CTV locally out west and dominate in BC. Global has their own 24 hour news channel, BC 1 that covers the province. 

April 6, 2022 11:18 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Lethbridge is pretty small though.  The fact that they had two or three stations doing local news for a city of less than 100,000 is pretty rare.  Regina did have three local newscasts for the CBC, CTV and Global affiliates in that town and maybe still do.  Regina is over 200,000 people and has local affiliates from the three networks.  Can't see Global gutting Calgary, Global BC and Edmonton much.  They often beat CTV locally out west and dominate in BC. Global has their own 24 hour news channel, BC 1 that covers the province. 

Global BC having BC1 is likely a financial help to them, since they can earn revenue from cable subscribers in addition to advertising. And unlike CP24 vis-a-vis CFTO, there is no duplication, as it’s a single news operation with the same staff.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (April 6, 2022 11:19 pm)

April 8, 2022 2:55 pm  #10

There are rumors that CTV is eliminating the Queen’s Park position and he would have become a general reporter.

April 8, 2022 3:04 pm  #11

Tomas Barlow wrote:

There are rumors that CTV is eliminating the Queen’s Park position and he would have become a general reporter.

Hmm, eliminating the Queen's Park position less than two months before a provincial election. If true, it's another genius move by the penny pinchers at Bell!

April 8, 2022 6:41 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Hmm, eliminating the Queen's Park position less than two months before a provincial election. If true, it's another genius move by the penny pinchers at Bell!

By the way, how do we spell oxymoron?