sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2022 9:58 am  #1

Why Isn't This Story Getting More News Coverage On Toronto Radio?

I can remember when just the suggestion that the price of gas was going up 3 cents a litre would not only be the lead on radio and TV newscasts, but send half the city to their nearest station to fill up before the hike. 

And yet, none of the stations I've been listening to on Thursday morning have so much as mentioned that the federal carbon tax is being hiked as of Friday, potentially sending already outrageous fuel prices soaring as much as 9 cents or more at the pumps. 

I can't figure out why this hasn't been a story on any newscast. The only one who's even brought it up was Jerry Agar on CFRB, and only for a single segment. Otherwise, it's like it's not going to happen. (Worth noting that this is also above and beyond any increase in the cost of gas itself that may or may not happen in the next 24 hours.)

It's odd to me that this story is virtually ignored. I have a feeling you'll be hearing a lot more about it tomorrow - by which point it will be way too late to get one last top-up before the permanent hike. 

March 31, 2022 10:25 am  #2

Re: Why Isn't This Story Getting More News Coverage On Toronto Radio?

CBC CTV and CP 24 news channels talked about the increase yesterday and earlier in the week.  In fact TV news mentioned it quite a bit after the federal government announced their new plans to reduce carbon emissions.  It was also on a newscast yesterday on 570 News in Kitchener, saying that the price was going up 2.2 cents because of the increase on the carbon tax April 1st.  Odd that the price has been lower this week and right now sitting at $1.67 per litre here in KW.  Last Saturday I filled up at $1.73.

March 31, 2022 10:41 am  #3

Good to know someone's mentioned it. I haven't heard a single radio newscast talk about it yet. But perhaps as motorists are going home in the afternoon, it will become more prominent. You'd think when it's imminent, it would get more attention. It's not only a huge price hike - it's a permanent one, as well.

March 31, 2022 10:46 am  #4

If there any CAA members out there Shell will give you .03 cents/litre discount. I paid 1.62/litre this morning which is only six cents more than when I last tanked up on March 2nd.

March 31, 2022 11:00 am  #5

mace wrote:

If there any CAA members out there Shell will give you .03 cents/litre discount. I paid 1.62/litre this morning which is only six cents more than when I last tanked up on March 2nd.

Yes regardless of the tax increase, the actual price you pay will continue to be up and down.  Depending on what happens with the war, the price could drop a fair bit later in the spring and summer.  

March 31, 2022 11:09 am  #6

I've heard Jerry bring up the April 1st increase on a few occasions in the past couple of weeks

As for why it's not receiving the coverage it deserves I can only speculate that the Canadian media to whatever degree is buying into the Trudeau game plan. And that is pretty sad. 

What else could it be?

March 31, 2022 11:17 am  #7

What "coverage" are we looking for, exactly? It's not overly complicated and will certainly be in headlines once it takes effect.

Prices have gone up ~35c/L since January, this is hardly whopping in comparison.

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 31, 2022 11:20 am)

March 31, 2022 11:18 am  #8

But even if that's true, a price hike is a price hike. And one this large is worth noting, I would think, regardless of your political stance.

March 31, 2022 11:21 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

But even if that's true, a price hike is a price hike. And one this large is worth noting, I would think, regardless of your political stance.

It is worth noting and has been. I'm not sure what else we're looking for here

Last edited by RadioAaron (March 31, 2022 11:23 am)

March 31, 2022 11:24 am  #10

Just saying I've been monitoring CFTR, CFRB and CFMJ newscasts all morning and not a word about it. I just found it strange that a medium so car dependent wouldn't want to warn its listeners in advance.

March 31, 2022 12:42 pm  #11

unclefester wrote:

I've heard Jerry bring up the April 1st increase on a few occasions in the past couple of weeks

As for why it's not receiving the coverage it deserves I can only speculate that the Canadian media to whatever degree is buying into the Trudeau game plan. And that is pretty sad. 

What else could it be?

Speaking of which, another big story that you're not hearing much about also happens on Friday - all federal MPs, senators and the P.M. himself get a huge raise. The amounts range from almost $11,000 for senators and backbench MPs to nearly 16-grand for ministers. And Mr. Trudeau himself gets a $21,604 boost to his pay packet. 

It comes on the same day Canadians get to pay more for gas due to the very rules many of these people implemented. 

Can't wait for the reaction on the radio when Friday comes around! Agar should be in fine form... 

March 31, 2022 1:02 pm  #12

I’m sure Jerry Agar will have plenty to say.  He ‘hits the nail on the head’ as the saying goes.

March 31, 2022 1:39 pm  #13

How fitting that the carbon tax increase always takes place on April Fool's Day.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 31, 2022 2:31 pm  #14

Could be that a 2.2 cents per litre increase isn't that high, especially since the price of gas can fluctuate so much in one day.  According to CAA last month the average price in Guelph was $1.58/litre and the highest price this past month $1.90/litre.  Today we are averaging $1.70 per litre and yesterday it was $1.77.  It likely will be all over the place this spring and summer.  Average price last year was $1,18.

March 31, 2022 2:57 pm  #15

I just came back from topping up the tank, at 166.9. It's certainly going to be more tomorrow. A small gesture, yes, but it's one less day I have to pay a carbon tax that many experts see as doing nothing for the environment. (Although in fairness, there are certainly others who disagree.) 

In any event, maybe it's a good thing it's not all over the radio. I got in and out with no major line-ups at the pumps. Although I'm sure that price will attract many going home.

April 1, 2022 8:15 am  #16

I have the Gasbuddy app and just for fun yesterday I decided to find the most expensive gas in North America. I found two candidates. 1. Fenner, Ca. about 30 miles west of Needles, Ca. Desert country, 8.09/gal. 2. Furnace Creek, Ca. One of two hamlets in Death Valley. 8.75/gal.

April 1, 2022 9:30 am  #17

paterson1 wrote:

price could drop a fair bit later in the spring and summer.  

A Bloomberg analyst presented historical evidence a couple days ago, that each time there's been a massive price increase (from the early 70s and more recent), gasoline's price dropped significantly due to alternative supply (re-visiting fields that had declining production), reduced consumer & business consumption and other factors such as introduction & enforcement of the 55 MPH speed limit. 

Now that there seems to be a Ford 350 quad cab pickup in every 2nd driveway, the stage may be set for that scenario to repeat

Last edited by geo (April 1, 2022 9:33 am)

April 1, 2022 10:28 am  #18

geo wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

price could drop a fair bit later in the spring and summer.  

A Bloomberg analyst presented historical evidence a couple days ago, that each time there's been a massive price increase (from the early 70s and more recent), gasoline's price dropped significantly due to alternative supply (re-visiting fields that had declining production), reduced consumer & business consumption and other factors such as introduction & enforcement of the 55 MPH speed limit. 

Now that there seems to be a Ford 350 quad cab pickup in every 2nd driveway, the stage may be set for that scenario to repeat

I remember there was a spike in gas prices in the spring/summer of 2008, and the ensuing drop coincided with the Great Recession.

April 4, 2022 9:22 am  #19

Looks like the Ontario government is lowering the gas tax by 5.7 cents a litre and the fuel tax 5.3 cents per litre.  This is only for 6 months from July 1 to the end of the year.  Gas prices usually go up during the summer months, so the 11 cent per litre temporary cut should save people some money.  The announcement comes less than two months before the provincial election on June 2.