sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2022 7:30 am  #1

New calls for 640

CFIQ

Well, well

April 2, 2022 1:21 pm  #2

Re: New calls for 640

FIQ off!

April 2, 2022 10:59 pm  #3

CFMJ is back in the Call Signs database. Not that it matters all that much, but I always found it odd that an AM station would have "FM" in its call letters!

April 3, 2022 12:36 am  #4

Looks like this wasn’t the only AM station Corus has changed call letters on. AM 730 in Vancouver has changed from CHMJ to CKGO. The “GO” is probably a nod to their all-traffic format.

Notably, to connect this back to 640, both CHMJ/CKGO and CFMJ/CFIQ had the Mojo Radio branding at one point (hence the “MJ” for MoJo).

April 3, 2022 2:41 am  #5

Hansa wrote:

FIQ off!

CFUX is available, so I highly doubt there's any intention to steer things (calls) in that direction. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 3, 2022 9:57 am  #6

So, why??? does this mean that 640 will only have high Intelligence Quotient (IQ) talk show hosts?

April 4, 2022 11:28 am  #7

To be honest... I don't get why they spent the time/money to switch the calls... It means ZERO to the listener.  ZERO to ratings, ZERO to most parts of the sales of the station.    Unless CFMJ was still having issues breaking the agencies from connecting them to Mojo all these years later, I just don't see logic/point to this.   Listeners know it as 640 Toronto at this point.   Calls could be CFUK... and no one would notice/care. 

Last edited by radiokid (April 4, 2022 11:31 am)

April 4, 2022 11:39 am  #8

Perhaps they didn't want the association with M-J 

April 4, 2022 11:42 am  #9

radiokid wrote:

To be honest... I don't get why they spent the time/money to switch the calls... It means ZERO to the listener.  ZERO to ratings, ZERO to most parts of the sales of the station.    Unless CFMJ was still having issues breaking the agencies from connecting them to Mojo all these years later, I just don't see logic/point to this.   Listeners know it as 640 Toronto at this point.   Calls could be CFUK... and no one would notice/care

I much prefer CFYI for their calls, myself.
BTW CFUK implies strongly that there will be tons of talk shows from the UK.
That's a given.
My wildest guess is that Corus is planning on using CFMJ in another market that might have room to try out a talk radio for guys. I can't imagine where though...

Last edited by Radiowiz (April 4, 2022 11:49 am)

April 4, 2022 3:54 pm  #10

Isn't CKRU available?

April 4, 2022 4:10 pm  #11

CKRU is 100.5 Fresh Radio in Peterborough - a Corus radio station.

April 4, 2022 4:17 pm  #12

I notice that CJTO is still available. You'd think a station that brands itself as Toronto-centric might want the letters "T.O." in its call sign. 

April 4, 2022 5:13 pm  #13

radiokid wrote:

To be honest... I don't get why they spent the time/money to switch the calls... It means ZERO to the listener.  ZERO to ratings, ZERO to most parts of the sales of the station.    Unless CFMJ was still having issues breaking the agencies from connecting them to Mojo all these years later, I just don't see logic/point to this.   Listeners know it as 640 Toronto at this point.   Calls could be CFUK... and no one would notice/care. 

100% agree. I kinda thought the agency thing too, but they're usually just buying demos and ratings, with no connection between call-letters, names, and formats. Besides, there are plenty of call-letters with no connection to anything or left over from previous identities floating around out there.

Two possibilities:
-Someone at CORUS with the ability to change them did it simply because they can for whatever reason was bugging them
-Another company wants them for something (a small operator starting a couple Majics?) who gave CORUS a few bucks to release them.

April 4, 2022 5:15 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

I notice that CJTO is still available. You'd think a station that brands itself as Toronto-centric might want the letters "T.O." in its call sign. 

And the fact that better calls are available tells me this was more about removing the MJ calls than selecting great new ones for the stations.

April 4, 2022 5:50 pm  #15

CFUQ is still available? Now there's a lost opportunity.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (April 4, 2022 5:51 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

April 4, 2022 6:07 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

Two possibilities:
-Someone at CORUS with the ability to change them did it simply because they can for whatever reason was bugging them
-Another company wants them for something (a small operator starting a couple Majics?) who gave CORUS a few bucks to release them.

Well, in an earlier posting, I was guessing that someone wanted to restore MoJo radio in some way shape or form, but the logic of a cookie cutter Magic FM has far more potential logic...Corus already owns Magic 106. (CIMJ) 
Maybe they have desire to launch a cookie cutter format under that same Magic FM name? 

April 10, 2022 10:06 am  #17

andysradio wrote:

CFIQ

Well, well

And yet as of this post, April 10, they are still IDing themselves at the top of the hour as "CFMJ." Given that those calls are back in the database as being available, shouldn't they have changed them on air by now? I'm quite sure it makes no difference to the average listener, but is there some sort of grace period? How long can they legally go identifying themselves with a call sign they no longer have?

April 10, 2022 2:58 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

andysradio wrote:

CFIQ

Well, well

And yet as of this post, April 10, they are still IDing themselves at the top of the hour as "CFMJ." Given that those calls are back in the database as being available, shouldn't they have changed them on air by now? I'm quite sure it makes no difference to the average listener, but is there some sort of grace period? How long can they legally go identifying themselves with a call sign they no longer have?

True, average listener can just say "HEY GOOGLE! Play AM 640 Toronto" and it will go to AM 640 Toronto automatically...but with a screen that now reads "Tuned in: Tuned into CFIQ."

April 10, 2022 4:43 pm  #19

Radiowiz wrote:

I much prefer CFYI for their calls, myself.

me too

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 2, 2022 5:50 pm  #20

It's taken almost a full month, but for the very first time, I just heard an ID on AM 640 that announced the call letters as CFIQ. I can't imagine what took them so long.