sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2022 5:01 pm  #1

1220 CFAJ St. Catharines Appears To Have Finally Officially Signed On

Not that you can really tell.

I monitored it for about an hour on Monday just by pure chance and didn't hear the usual "we're testing" announcement even once. Unfortunately, it sounds exactly like it did when they were - non-stop songs, no announcers beyond Peter Borbely saying "Classic 1220" after almost every song - and nothing else. 

There are no announcers, no news, and worst of all for the owners - no spots. 

It remains to be seen - and heard - what form the station will eventually take now that its "sign-on" appears to be official. But it really needs to start making money eventually, tax write-off theories notwithstanding. 

Even the links on its webpage (one page only so far) appear to be not quite up to scratch. Clicking on the icons for Twitter, Instagram and Google Plus at the bottom of the page only gets you back to the same place. And its Facebook page link, which does work, hasn't been updated in at least a year or more.  

There are test pages I found that are not supposed to be public that clearly haven't been serviced yet. One of them is an ad banner that still says "Sponsor Banner," with no company on it.   

One more anomaly - while the station has a "Recently Played Song" list on its one working webpage, some of the songs listed were never played. That same page, by the way, proclaims that its website is "Coming Soon!" the same message that's been there for almost a year. But at least they're streaming, if you want to hear what it all sounds like.

I will say they have a far more varied oldies playlist than any station I've heard in years, with some songs in the period I was listening that haven't been on air in a very long time. When was the last time you heard "My Sweet Lady" by John Denver or Ric Ocasek's "Emotion In Motion?"

I can't believe this is all they're going to do, and I'm guessing this is a soft launch. There are some promises of performance regs they told the CRTC they'd do that goes beyond just playing music non-stop.

Among them, from their application page on the CRTC site: "2 hours of news, weather and sports. In addition to local, regional, national and some international news, the station would offer community-focused programming, such as weather and traffic reports, community billboards and talk shows promoting local events from charities and not-for-profit groups, for a total of 10 hours and 25 minutes of spoken word programming each week." 

None of those are in evidence yet. And as it stands right now, you can't tell the difference between their test and their regular programming. 

It may be worth tuning in every now and then to see what they do next - and when.

Classic 1220.ca

March 21, 2022 5:18 pm  #2

Re: 1220 CFAJ St. Catharines Appears To Have Finally Officially Signed On

As of now, the Technical Operating Certificate, which is the definitive authorization for regular broadcasting, has not yet been issued.  The Spectrum Management System for ISED still shows the status as "On Air Testing".

March 21, 2022 5:23 pm  #3

Interesting and thanks for checking that. They've been running that "You're listening to a test broadcast" announcement every 15 minutes to every half hour for over two years. The fact that it's suddenly gone means something's up. Exactly what it is, I'm not sure. But it would appear they're getting ready for a bigger launch sooner than later.

And it's about time - they first signed on Feb. 4, 2020!

March 21, 2022 6:02 pm  #4

Probably sets a new record for the longest time taken to tune up an AM array, even surpassing the original CHFI 680  on Burhamthorpe Road, with nine towers, 1 kilowatt day and 10 kilowatts night. Helicopter measurements over Lake Ontario thrown in for good measure (no pun intended). That was back in 1966.

March 21, 2022 6:05 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I can't believe this is all they're going to do, and I'm guessing this is a soft launch. There are some promises of performance regs they told the CRTC they'd do that goes beyond just playing music non-stop.

Among them, from their application page on the CRTC site: "2 hours of news, weather and sports. In addition to local, regional, national and some international news, the station would offer community-focused programming, such as weather and traffic reports, community billboards and talk shows promoting local events from charities and not-for-profit groups, for a total of 10 hours and 25 minutes of spoken word programming each week." 

They don't actually have to do any of that. Nothing above "conditions of license" matters.

March 22, 2022 11:03 am  #6

I have found CFAJ on the Mytuner app. I can now listen via my Sonos box through my 43 year old AR14 speakers. While not in stereo, the station sounds good and the variety of oldies played is outstanding,