sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2022 7:02 am  #1

CFRB Restores Half Hour News Update

It was in early Feb. 2021 that the major purge began at Bell stations across the country, decimating the chain's radio newsrooms. Toronto was especially hard hit, leaving mostly CTV Toronto news anchors to take over the top of the hour news. 

So it was with some surprise that I noticed on Monday NewsTalk 1010 had quietly restored the half hour newscasts they used to do before that black day back in February. It was just headlines but it was a definite change. I'm wondering if the competition - the CBC, AM640 and of course, CityNews 680, all of which do half hour updates - may be one of the reasons. 

I suspect it's only going to happen on the morning and afternoon drive shifts, but that remains to be seen. Either way, kind of interesting to hear them restore what had been gone for over a year. 

March 21, 2022 8:43 am  #2

Re: CFRB Restores Half Hour News Update

Are they sponsored?  Some crackerjack sales rep might have found a client, thus the restoration.
Or have you noticed that commercial radio has become all about the money?  

March 21, 2022 9:19 am  #3

Radio Bob wrote:

Are they sponsored?  Some crackerjack sales rep might have found a client, thus the restoration.
Or have you noticed that commercial radio has become all about the money?  

Actually, it isn't sponsored - at least, not yet. They go straight into it and then to traffic and weather. Can't say if the spots that follow are adjacencies but it's no different than what they were doing before the change.

March 21, 2022 9:36 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I suspect it's only going to happen on the morning and afternoon drive shifts, but that remains to be seen. Either way, kind of interesting to hear them restore what had been gone for over a year. 

They did traffic @ 9:30 then went to ads.  
The station really sux now. What a waste of electricity. If you want great News/Talk radio stick with AM 640.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2022 10:22 pm  #5

I'm generally a fan of news but on that station with the commercial load it has, I'd prefer not to have half hour news.      It feels like you don't get enough of the actual shows.