sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 9, 2022 6:50 pm  #1

Toronto Radio Ratings Winter 2022

Just came across the Toronto numbers courtesy of RadioInsight.  Note these are also listed in order and with formats but the latest numbers are the last column. https://radioinsight.com/numeris-ratings/toronto/

March 9, 2022 11:16 pm  #2

Re: Toronto Radio Ratings Winter 2022

Here are some more breakdowns from David Bray, President of Bray and Partners Communications on today's ratings for Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Montreal.  Link from Broadcast Dialogue,,https://broadcastdialogue.com/winter-ppm-ratings-for-calgary-edmonton-vancouver-toronto-and-montreal/   

March 11, 2022 10:26 am  #3

There was a very subtle reference to the ratings on CFRB Friday morning during the early Roundtable. Jerry Agar was one of the panelists and John Moore noted that, while he wasn't really supposed to talk about it, 'more people were listening to your show. So congratulations.' Agar seemed genuinely surprised when he heard it. 

The word "ratings" was never mentioned, but the implication was clear. NT1010's numbers are up, likely because it's been such an unbelievable news year, from the ongoing battle against COVID, to the truckers' protests and the invasion of Ukraine. 

It always amazes me that stations don't publicize their numbers more when they go up. Or are there rules against doing that? 

Either way, my time listening to 'RB usually ends after Evan Solomon's show is done at 2 PM. The rest of the day is, IMHO, unlistenable, with a horrible afternoon drive home show, the CTV 6 PM news audio, and rerolls until midnight. As Gertrude Stein once noted, "There's no there, there."

March 11, 2022 11:16 am  #4

Q107 promoted their ratings about a year or so back when they were number one in a few demos and had a great book.  They even had some TV ads saying they were number one in Toronto.  You are right however stations rarely say much about ratings which is strange.  Even CBC who normally don't have much to brag about ratings wise doesn't even acknowledge their normally strong radio numbers. 

Maybe stations are cautious since ratings can go down as quickly as they go up?  And ratings can be sliced and diced to make almost any station look good in various demos. 

The first time I was in Detroit in 1976, I remember seeing the billboards for CKLW.  When you came through the tunnel or over the bridge from Windsor, the first thing you saw was a big billboard, and all it said was, 800 CKLW...Detroit's Number One Radio Station.  Didn't CFRB also have billboards in Toronto or newspaper ads that stated they were Ontario's Most Popular Radio Station or something like that?  Again this would have been in the 70's or early 80's. 

March 11, 2022 1:44 pm  #5

paterson1: Yes I definitely remember seeing billboards promoting CFRB, CHUM and CKEY. In addition, many ads appeared on the backs of TTC buses and in some subway stations.

March 11, 2022 2:51 pm  #6

Good job again for Boom keeping it up there steady those spots.   Chum has dropped.

March 11, 2022 3:05 pm  #7

I remember CFRB running newspaper ads in the 1970s and quite possibly into the 1980s stating that they were the #1 station ... I'm thinking that they might have just said that this was for Toronto or the Toronto area, but I could well be wrong about that. But I particularly liked the newspaper ads that CFTO used to run back in the same era for their newscasts, where they showed the number of Toronto viewers for both themselves and also for competing newscasts (I think including Buffalo and Hamilton stations). 

March 11, 2022 3:45 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Q107 promoted their ratings about a year or so back when they were number one in a few demos and had a great book.  They even had some TV ads saying they were number one in Toronto.  You are right however stations rarely say much about ratings which is strange.  Even CBC who normally don't have much to brag about ratings wise doesn't even acknowledge their normally strong radio numbers. 

Maybe stations are cautious since ratings can go down as quickly as they go up?  And ratings can be sliced and diced to make almost any station look good in various demos. 

The first time I was in Detroit in 1976, I remember seeing the billboards for CKLW.  When you came through the tunnel or over the bridge from Windsor, the first thing you saw was a big billboard, and all it said was, 800 CKLW...Detroit's Number One Radio Station.  Didn't CFRB also have billboards in Toronto or newspaper ads that stated they were Ontario's Most Popular Radio Station or something like that?  Again this would have been in the 70's or early 80's. 

And who can forget CKFH making fun of all those claims, back when they were billing themselves as #2 Radio. ("We must be, because everybody else is #1.")

March 12, 2022 12:39 pm  #9

geo wrote:

boom boy wrote:

Not advertising your success is being humble. Outside of the people who work at the station, who cares? Just make a great sounding station and let that speak for itself.

How would you attract people who, each time they acquire a new vehicle, set AM buttons for CFRB and sports talk, and set FM buttons for CHFI and Q-107, without giving the matter a moment's thought, and have never heard of your humble, great-sounding station that squeeks for itself?

Commercial radio stations are in the advertising business.  We tell advertisers that they need to promote and communicate why their business is the one to buy or use.  Radio is the same, why would you not promote the fact that you are one of Toronto's most popular stations?  That is something to be proud of and why would listeners not care?  They are listening to your station for a reason. 

Being humble is fine to a point, but there is also nothing wrong with enjoying and promoting success. We know that listeners are loyal to stations and this promotes brand loyalty and preference.   Do it now, because down the road circumstances and ratings can change.

CTV National News for years had the tag line at the end of the 11pm report....CTV National News, Canada's Number One Newscast.  Since COVID and everything else going on in the world they now opt for a short promo for ongoing coverage.  Promoting that your station is popular isn't bragging, it is implying to the viewer or listener that they made the right choice when they tune in and the promotion helps to develop a connection with them.

March 15, 2022 10:59 am  #10

To those wondering why CFRB always seems to win, regardless of what it or any competitor does…as a one time General Manager back in the days of 16 shares, I can affirm that the answer remains as it always has been..it’s just CFRB! THAT’s the answer. And as long as they run a slick morning format with John Moore at the mic, his show creates the wide top of the funnel and feeds big listener volumes down the spout from the top. Those folks trickle down through the day and tend to swell again end of workday. Back then, we had more talk stations in town and still won the day. Now there are fewer but so many more and different options. Taking any station from the bottom to the top is a task that gets so close to impossible that it may well be.