sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2022 1:31 am  #1

Ryan Doyle Discusses His Career “Pivot.”

Finally! Great to hear Ryan discuss his departure from NewsTalk 1010, new passions, his friendship with Jay and AM 640 rumours on the podcast Scott and Kat After 9:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3xBSa4MdycQW1EcM1OmZnK?si=cDmzPdgOQyOb66JyTJBt0g

March 2, 2022 9:38 am  #2

Re: Ryan Doyle Discusses His Career “Pivot.”

Around the 9 minute mark, he talks about leaving CFRB. What's interesting to me is that he insists it was his decision, that he was looking for something different and he wasn't happy about having an extra hour added to his show. He talks about "walking upstairs" from his basement studio after a long day and thinking about changing directions. 

Fair enough. I have to take him at his word, but I might suggest his version doesn't really jibe with what we know. He never talks about being fired, which I'm pretty sure is what happened after his friend, Mike Bendixen, got blown out as PD. So it's a great face saving explanation that he'd been there 25 years, and wanted to try something else, but that sounds more like spin than reality. Just my interpretation and I confess I have no inside knowledge of what happened. But that version makes more sense than the one he tells.

If he had quit on his own, they would not have had guest hosts "sitting in for Ryan Doyle" for weeks on end, before his name stopped being uttered at all. His story simply doesn't make sense. 

They also ask him about rumours he might be going to AM 640 and he doesn't really answer the question. But new talent honcho Amanda Cupido was asked about that on Toronto Mike's podcast and she insisted it wasn't happening. So that should put that to rest, as well. 

Also, I'm no prude and do my share of the swears, but it just seems he's using expletives in the podcast a little too often. It's fine, because it's not on air, but it seems like a bit of overkill to me and not really necessary. 

That's my two cents and that's probably over-valuing its worth!

I was not a fan of Doyle but I have nothing against him and hope his new venture is a success. 

March 2, 2022 1:49 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Around the 9 minute mark, he talks about leaving CFRB. What's interesting to me is that he insists it was his decision, that he was looking for something different and he wasn't happy about having an extra hour added to his show. He talks about "walking upstairs" from his basement studio after a long day and thinking about changing directions. 

Fair enough. I have to take him at his word, but I might suggest his version doesn't really jibe with what we know. He never talks about being fired, which I'm pretty sure is what happened after his friend, Mike Bendixen, got blown out as PD. So it's a great face saving explanation that he'd been there 25 years, and wanted to try something else, but that sounds more like spin than reality. Just my interpretation and I confess I have no inside knowledge of what happened. But that version makes more sense than the one he tells.

If he had quit on his own, they would not have had guest hosts "sitting in for Ryan Doyle" for weeks on end, before his name stopped being uttered at all. His story simply doesn't make sense. 

They also ask him about rumours he might be going to AM 640 and he doesn't really answer the question. But new talent honcho Amanda Cupido was asked about that on Toronto Mike's podcast and she insisted it wasn't happening. So that should put that to rest, as well. 

Also, I'm no prude and do my share of the swears, but it just seems he's using expletives in the podcast a little too often. It's fine, because it's not on air, but it seems like a bit of overkill to me and not really necessary. 

That's my two cents and that's probably over-valuing its worth!

I was not a fan of Doyle but I have nothing against him and hope his new venture is a success. 

For someone who isn't a fan...you sure waste a lot of your time writing about me. God help those you actually like. 🙄

March 2, 2022 2:16 pm  #4

Hey RE-birth, RadioActive is the Moderator of this forum and as such, can comment on whatever the hell he wants.  I worked at CFRB when Ryan was still Bill Carroll's producer and not yet on air and I'm not a fan either.  So what!

March 2, 2022 3:45 pm  #5

He could have taken a leave - or decided to use up his vacation time first - and then quit - or been put on leave and then fired.

March 2, 2022 6:16 pm  #6

I actually blame CFRB for the confusion over his fate. Whatever happened, their insistence on saying someone was "subbing" for Doyle for several weeks wasn't a great idea given what followed.

But they made it worse when he suddenly became the name-you-shall-not-utter-on-air. 

They could simply have said - one time on one show - "Ryan has decided to pursue other opportunities and we wish him well in his new endeavours." That would have put an end to all the uncomfortable phone calls they got (some of which wound up on air asking Jay where his longtime co-host was) and the endless sometimes nasty tweets and Reddit threads questioning what became of him.

One sentence, one time for a guy who'd been a loyal employee at the station for a quarter of a century and was closely associated with it since his days as a co-host on "Generation Next." 

But instead, they chose not to do that and let it hang there to fester for more than a month. Not how I thought it should have been handled. 

March 2, 2022 7:06 pm  #7

If he quit last October why didn't he just announce it and move on. It's obvious he was let go. Seems he will never get a job in mainstream Toronto radio again. Good luck with new gig. I hate gambling. 

March 2, 2022 7:53 pm  #8

Funny how you think you are owed that from anyone

As for the mainstream...all I see is cutbacks and layoffs. You?

Last edited by RE-birth (March 2, 2022 7:57 pm)

March 3, 2022 5:53 pm  #9

cash wrote:

I Seems he will never get a job in mainstream Toronto radio again. Good luck with new gig. I hate gambling. 

Have you noticed that nobody is getting a new gig in mainstream media? The writing is on the wall for mainstream radio just look a little closer. Getting out is better than being kicked out due to a beancounter and a spreadsheet ,