sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2022 4:24 pm  #1

Get your Flow bets in!!!

Losers have to listen to their least favourite GTA station for 1 hour. 

What format is CFXJ flipping to on Monday?

February 9, 2022 4:30 pm  #2

Re: Get your Flow bets in!!!

I'll go with Marc Weisblott's guess and say Soft AC Breeze.

February 9, 2022 4:41 pm  #3

It will be a millennial Boom

February 9, 2022 7:18 pm  #4

Country's in a down-cycle and 93.5 is just the wrong signal for it. Not going to happen.

February 9, 2022 7:20 pm  #5

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Here's a theory...

Nobody knew Rogers had bought CISS as was recently relived here.

How about Stingray selling 93.5 to Evanov. We could have Z93-5 in the city / Z103-5 everywhere else.

Nobody's going to sell a station from a cluster if they don't have to. There's too much of a risk of the buyers eventually turning it against one of the sellers' big stations.

February 9, 2022 9:27 pm  #6

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America. It's diverse and sophisticated. With that as a backdrop, would country FM work here? On a frequency with very limited coverage beyond the city? We already have country in the suburbs through KX and 105.9 north of the Oak Ridges Moraine. A city only country station in Toronto? In 2022?

94.7 New York abandoning Country last fall kind of puts a dent in that argument. 

February 9, 2022 9:41 pm  #7

I have no idea what this station is or will be. 

February 9, 2022 10:06 pm  #8

cash wrote:

It is a commercial station and will be disappointing.

February 10, 2022 12:52 pm  #9

TikTok Radio

Last edited by evil_ive (February 10, 2022 12:58 pm)

February 10, 2022 2:04 pm  #10

Chrisphen wrote:

cash wrote:

It is a commercial station and will be disappointing.

Because the public ones haven't been to date?

February 10, 2022 2:12 pm  #11

Bentwater wrote:

I'll put my money on country.  Rawlco had a good run with it on FM.  There may have been a condition of sale to give country the boot when Rogers acquired 92.5.  CFGM 1320 used to do well with good programming, low turnover and high TSL.  A country format would offer advertisers a loyal audience AND exclusive reach added to buys.

And that was when Toronto had a mainly Caucasian population.    I think things have changed a lot since those days.   And I also can tell you on market research, Country in Toronto in recent years is not scoring well...  I also know CISS country was struggling to make in roads as a country station.   There was zero logic to put any condition on format shift on the sale, and I'm confident that never was the case.   I think Rogers noticed a huge hole and flipped to Top40, which paid off for a while.    I could be wrong here, but I just don't see country coming to Toronto.   KX does well, because they are from the suburbs.     It's where listeners for country live.   Not in the city of Toronto, and 93.5's signal is a Toronto local signal, not a regional. 

Last edited by radiokid (February 10, 2022 2:17 pm)

February 10, 2022 2:16 pm  #12

Classical 93.5 To distinguish themselves from Classical 96.3 the 93.5 version will have a heavy emphasis on Baroque music with a secondary focus on Gregorian chanting. 

February 10, 2022 2:24 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Here's a theory...

Nobody knew Rogers had bought CISS as was recently relived here.

How about Stingray selling 93.5 to Evanov. We could have Z93-5 in the city / Z103-5 everywhere else.

Nobody's going to sell a station from a cluster if they don't have to. There's too much of a risk of the buyers eventually turning it against one of the sellers' big stations.

Zero possibility unless the rules change.   Evanov owns 3 FMs and 1 AM in the Toronto CMA.    They get around some rules because proud is a specialty, and their AM is a multicultural.     Yes 1035 is an Orangeville and 885 is a New Market, but  they are part of the Toronto CMA based on ratings, which makes them Toronto.   There is a higher chance they will drop Proud, flip it to repeat Z1035.  

Stingray would not give up a station they own either, when they only have one other in Toronto.    

Last edited by radiokid (February 10, 2022 2:26 pm)

February 10, 2022 5:28 pm  #14

Judging by what Bell does with Chum and Virgin which I still dont understand, are twin stations literally the same formats.   Chum being slightly more older tracks but in general the same top 40. This might happen here with 93.5 and with Boom? Who knows. 

February 10, 2022 5:42 pm  #15

I'm going with Hot 93.5

February 10, 2022 7:20 pm  #16

I'm surprised so many people are saying "Other" 

Anyone care to elaborate what they meant by that?

February 10, 2022 7:40 pm  #17

I'm 'other'. It's going to be a millennial gold format.

February 10, 2022 8:06 pm  #18

torontostan wrote:

I'm surprised so many people are saying "Other";    Anyone care to elaborate what they meant by that?

Vintage country with a strong country crossover influence.     Glad to help.

geo

February 10, 2022 8:12 pm  #19

Bill Gable once predicted a format change for a Toronto station when he was programming CFTR. He jokingly predicted it would be "punk country" or "beautiful sports." Not sure why, but all these years later, I still remember that. 

February 10, 2022 8:17 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

Bill Gable once predicted a format change for a Toronto station when he was programming CFTR. He jokingly predicted it would be "punk country" or "beautiful sports." Not sure why, but all these years later, I still remember that. 

I'd listen to punk country.

February 11, 2022 12:27 am  #21

Sunny wrote:

I'll go with Marc Weisblott's guess and say Soft AC Breeze.

Agreed

February 11, 2022 3:24 pm  #22

February 11, 2022 5:38 pm  #23

Congrats to the winner!

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

February 11, 2022 5:56 pm  #24

If Toronto Mike is right, and he usually is, this seems like just another cookie cutter clone of what so many others are doing. Bit of a disappointment and it doesn't appear there's much to distinguish it from others in the market. 

February 11, 2022 8:32 pm  #25

He's not.

February 11, 2022 8:39 pm  #26

RadioAaron wrote:

He's not.

So what's your guess on it? I just read the domain insight from Radio Insight and it says 93.5 Today Radio is being registered about over a year ago, but it might not be necessarily the change.

February 13, 2022 2:54 am  #27

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

He's not.

Agreed. "Today" isn't even a Stingray brand. They will use either Hot, Breeze or New/Real Country if anything. 

"Today arrives tomorrow." is what just aired on 93.5 FM
I salute the sales team for also managing to sell time on 93.5 even though they just flushed out the Hip Hop format and tossed on what seems to be a "music sampler" that may or may not (yet) have an audience.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 13, 2022 9:31 am  #28

Radiowiz wrote:

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

He's not.

Agreed. "Today" isn't even a Stingray brand. They will use either Hot, Breeze or New/Real Country if anything. 

"Today arrives tomorrow." is what just aired on 93.5 FM
I salute the sales team for also managing to sell time on 93.5 even though they just flushed out the Hip Hop format and tossed on what seems to be a "music sampler" that may or may not (yet) have an audience.

Here's a bit of 93.5 today which will be yesterday by tomorrow:

93.5 FM Toronto Feb 13    2022

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

February 13, 2022 9:57 am  #29

torontostan wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

He's not.

The name, yes, but not CHR.

February 13, 2022 10:15 am  #30

Oh, I see we're live a little earlier.