sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2022 10:21 am  #1

New Documentary Examines How A NYC Radio Stn. Went From Worst To First

I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to see this (it comes out in the U.S. on Feb. 22nd in digital and on demand), but the trailers look terrific. It's the story of how WHTZ, the legendary Z100, became the biggest station in the world's biggest media market, and did it after originally coming in dead last in the ratings.

Its secret sauce can be summed up in two words: Scott Shannon.

How Z100 Dominated New York Radio

February 13, 2022 12:37 pm  #2

Re: New Documentary Examines How A NYC Radio Stn. Went From Worst To First

This documentary will likely will end up on Youtube, Netflix or Crave.  Anyone interested in radio would want to see this..   How does a station go from last in the ratings to number one in  two and a half months?   Doesn't say much for NY radio in the early 80's if something like this can happen so soon. New York radio couldn't have been in a very good state.  Maybe Today Radio 93.5 will be top of the ratings in Toronto by the May 24 weekend?  Woo Hoo!!

About six months ago I watched an interesting documentary (Dare To Be Different) on Crave. This was about Long Island radio station WLIR.  This station was seen as innovative and ground breaking back in 1982 when they started playing New Wave and new music from the UK.  WLIR also shook up the ratings in New York.

When I watched this very well done doc couldn't help but notice they were 2-3 years behind CFNY and 1050 CHUM in many ways.  Both of these GTA stations had embraced New Wave and in the case of CFNY punk years earlier. 

February 13, 2022 5:55 pm  #3

Re: New Documentary Examines How A NYC Radio Stn. Went From Worst To First

WHTZ currently sits 6th in the N.Y. market with a 4.1 share.