sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 1, 2022 5:55 pm  #1

Dick Van Dyke Show On CHCH Retro Starting Today

Today marks the debut of The Dick Van Dyke Show on CHCH TV's weekday retro line up.  CHCH usually shows the programs in order, so today at 5pm should be the very first show from October 3 1961.  Initially the program was not popular but eventually found it's audience and remained a hit for the rest of the run.  The Dick Van Dyke Show ran until June 1 1966 on CBS for a total of 158 episodes, all in black and white. 

February 1, 2022 6:15 pm  #2

Re: Dick Van Dyke Show On CHCH Retro Starting Today

In fact, the show was actually cancelled after its first year. But producer Sheldon Leonard, who had other programs on the network, including The Andy Griffith Show, and thus had some pull at CBS, believed in it so much, he convinced the network to give it another chance. 

In the three or four channel universe that existed in those days, the audience found it during summer reruns and when it began winning awards, it became the hit it was. But it was Leonard's intervention that saved it. 

February 2, 2022 12:27 am  #3

And the familiar opening credit scene with Dick tripping over the ottoman wasn't introduced until season two.

February 2, 2022 12:44 am  #4

There were several different openings involving that ottoman. In the one you refer to, van Dyke trips over it after coming in the house. In another, he sidesteps it. It seems to me there may even have been a third version, but I can't quite recall what happened in that one. 

Creator Carl Reiner explained they did it to leave viewers wondering which one they'd show in any given week. 

All this info is from The Dick van Dyke Show Book by Vince Waldron, a terrific look at the creation and making of the show. Not sure if it's still in print or available, but it's a terrific read if you're a fan of this classic show. 

February 2, 2022 12:47 am  #5

I do remember in some episodes Dick does sidestep the ottoman.

February 2, 2022 12:59 am  #6

The series could have been filmed in colour but wasn't because of the extra cost of $6000 per episode. The book entitled the 101 Greatest Sitcoms of All Time [ not ranked but listed alphabetically] has some amazing colour photos of Mary Tyler Moore on the set. All I can say is WOW!!

February 2, 2022 2:33 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

There were several different openings involving that ottoman. In the one you refer to, van Dyke trips over it after coming in the house. In another, he sidesteps it. It seems to me there may even have been a third version, but I can't quite recall what happened in that one.

There were four intros in total, three of them involving the ottoman.

The Dick Van Dyke Show intros/closing credits

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 2, 2022 8:33 am  #8

mace wrote:

The series could have been filmed in colour but wasn't because of the extra cost of $6000 per episode. The book entitled the 101 Greatest Sitcoms of All Time [ not ranked but listed alphabetically] has some amazing colour photos of Mary Tyler Moore on the set. All I can say is WOW!!

"Ohhhh Robbbb!!!"

February 2, 2022 8:40 am  #9

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

There were four intros in total, three of them involving the ottoman.

The Dick Van Dyke Show intros/closing credits
I have never seen that fourth intro.

PJ

February 2, 2022 10:28 am  #10

Here's the original pilot for the show, long before the Dick van Dyke Show even heard of Dick van Dyke. It was called "Head of the Family" and starred creator/writer Carl Reiner as a scribe for the "Alan Sturdy Show". The thing bombed but once again, it was producer Sheldon Leonard who came to the rescue, hilariously but correctly pointing out that Reiner - who was essentially playing himself in a semi-autobiographical role - was wrong for the part. 

What makes this fascinating, if you've never seen it, is that there are different actors playing Laura, Richie, Sally and Buddy - a look at the early rendering of these now legendary characters in other players' hands.

February 2, 2022 11:57 am  #11

What a difference between the two shows.  The program yesterday was also the pilot with the cast and set that everyone knew.  Interesting that for the second pilot of the show, the producers chose to film with the three camera set up and in front of a live audience.  Head of the Family was shot like a movie and with canned laughter.

Sheldon Leonard and Carl Reiner were smart recasting the program with a better format.  Always wondered why the program was called the Dick Van Dyke Show however.  It wasn't like DVD was a huge star in 1961, he was known but his real stardom came later.  

So today on CHCH will actually be the first regular show in the series.  I was also surprised that Rob and Laura's son Ritchie had such a big part for the pilot.  Carl Reiner was looking for a boy 5 or 6 years old to play Ritchie and didn't want anyone with much experience in acting.  He wanted the little boy to be the all American kid.  Larry Mathews who got the role hadn't acted in anything, but had taken some acting lessons.  This was the only role that Larry ever had.  He remained with theatre but behind the scenes for the remainder of his career.  

February 2, 2022 12:00 pm  #12

Here's what now 66-year-old Larry Matthews (real name Mazzeo) looks like today. 

February 2, 2022 1:57 pm  #13

🤞 Amazon Prime doesn't take a stab at retelling the story of this comedy legend and royally eff it up the way they did with Lucy and Ricky.

Dick made a wonderful appearance in the latest charming version of Mary Poppins Returns with Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep et all, and he's a delight, still has the impeccable delivery and timing and that twinkle in his eyes, should you need a movie to watch with the family during the inclement weather over the next few days.

The Carol Burnett Show is also available on Amazon Prime, or Netflix?🤔

February 2, 2022 2:03 pm  #14

I watched yesterday's episode, and was it just me, or did it seem slightly sped up? Most everyone had a higher pitched voice than I remember. Mary Tyler Moore especially.  She sounded more like Minnie Mouse than MTM.

Could CHCH have sped up the show to sneak in another spot or two? It could make sense as sitcoms back then ran about 25 minutes as opposed to the 22 minutes now.

February 2, 2022 2:21 pm  #15

I noticed the exact same thing when CHCH ran a special on Sunday called "The Dick van Dyke Show Revisited," hosted by the late Charles Kuralt. It was fairly old - Kuralt died in 1997 - but everything sounded sped up to me, as well. I thought it was my imagination. Apparently, it wasn't. 

February 2, 2022 2:28 pm  #16

Many if not all of the episodes are available gratis and commercial free on YouTube

February 2, 2022 3:19 pm  #17

Don't imagine it was CHCH that would speed up the program.   The company that owns the rights and remastered the original would slightly speed up the program to increase the number of minutes of commercial time, and make the program easier to sell.  In 1961 there was only 3-4 minutes of commercial time to sell as compared to 8-10 today for a half hour show.  

I recorded yesterdays program and it had three commercial breaks.  First break 2 minutes, second break 1  minute 30 seconds and the third came in at 1 minute 45 seconds.  So total commercial time was 5 minutes and 15 seconds. I think they may also shorten either the opening or closing theme music/credits on a few shows.  The beginning and closing of I Love Lucy seems shorter than the original, especially the closing theme and credits.  

February 2, 2022 9:28 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

Many if not all of the episodes are available gratis and commercial free on YouTube

Thanks for this RA

Possible idea for a thread, "free cool stuff on YouTube" the terrific Nero Wolfe series with Maury Chakin and Timothy Hutton is on there, old movies "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and a slew of noir films

February 2, 2022 9:50 pm  #19

There are 125 full (and free) episodes of WKRP online on YouTube.

February 3, 2022 1:38 am  #20

Not sure how many people remember this, but in a famous episode of Mad About You, Carl Reiner returned in the role of Alan Brady, who the main character wanted to narrate his documentary. This got a fair amount of publicity when it aired in the 80s, and you can see it on CTV's site for free. IIRC, it was the last time Reiner ever played the role. 

Mad About You: "The Alan Brady Show" 

February 3, 2022 9:59 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder if these episodes have the original songs that aired when the series was still in production. After the rights to that music had expired and mistakenly not renewed, generic sounding rock music was added.

February 3, 2022 4:36 pm  #22

mace wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder if these episodes have the original songs that aired when the series was still in production. After the rights to that music had expired and mistakenly not renewed, generic sounding rock music was added.

Judging by the one episode that pops up when you click the link, "Herb's Dad", this (and presumably the others from this uploader) appear to be from the 2014 box set released through Shout! Factory. A good percentage of the original music had been retained for this release.

WKRP producer and creator Hugh Wilson talks about music licensing issues with the show:

One peculiar thing I noticed about this episode: there appears to be a lack of audience reaction that I remember hearing in the original syndicated runs. (For example, the audience laughing at the Big Guy's slightly embarrassed reaction when he notices The Cars' "Candy-O" poster in the hall). Perhaps this was a pre-production reel of the finished version? Maybe the producers were only able to get Bert Parks on a day when there wasn't a regular audience, and the final product was "sweetened" with some canned laughter? I notice there is some slight laughter in this version, but perhaps it might just be stagehands and other crew?

Another peculiarity in this box set that has been noted by many: The season 1 episode, "The Contest Nobody Could Win" has a different ending than most of us are used to. Apparently, according to various sources, this original ending didn't meet CBS' Standards and Practices criteria, so a new version was shot, which is the one most of us have seen various times in reruns, where Johnny retrieves the money from the fake Don Pesola, played by Vincent Schiavelli. (Footnote: the 2007 season 1 DVD release from 20th Century Fox Home Video has the episode with the familiar ending, albeit with substituted music).

Overall though, the Shout! Factory box set is a pretty good release. If you didn't have the foresight to record the original episodes when they first aired (or in one of the first syndicated runs when the music was still intact), this is probably about as good a release as you're going to get, considering that seasons 2-4 were out of commission for a long time and looked like they would never see the light of day.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!